PDA

View Full Version : No REAL PIMs for Linux?

wyomingpat
March 20th, 2010, 06:01 PM
If the definition of a PIM is where all your notes, appointments, tasks and contacts are stored but more than that, linked then I have not found any PIM available in Linux. I have to use Windows XP under Virtual box and that is slow. I need to look at a task linked to a contact, recall all communication with that contact so all tasks, calls, letters should be linked.

I have tried Kontact (keeps throwing errors and seems susceptible to all sorts of minor changes from software updates etc) This does not meet the definition and Evolution does not either. Chandler has no contact module. None of these have tasks/appts. directly linked to contacts

Under Windows we have Chaos, great little app. and at the top end Act! for Windows, and of course Outlook and my favorite is Netmanage Ecco which will run under WINE. However Ecco was to me as a project manager the best of the lot and I started using it in 1993 then Netmanage bought it and stopped development in 1998? This has now lost its integration functionality as everything else has moved on but it did run under Windows 3.1 in 256k was reliable, easy to network, share and synchronise. Even Packrat 4.1 would be nice.
If someone is listening Ecco would be great to develop under linux. Or does someone know of of a comprehensive simple app that does not require 2 days of setting up apache servers etc?

Kenny_Strawn
March 20th, 2010, 06:09 PM
You could use Microsoft Exchange in a browser, that would be my choice.

juancarlospaco
March 20th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Lets write one!

qalimas
March 20th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I recently moved the technician machines in the company I work for to Linux. I had to convert the entire network from Exchange to Zimbra. But hey, it was worth it.

Get Zimbra.

cb951303
March 20th, 2010, 07:05 PM
doesn't evolution support those? If not, I would checkout its plugins.

fatality_uk
March 20th, 2010, 07:33 PM
What you actually want is a CRM package like Chaos or Act! not a PIM.
There are a number of CRM packages for Linux.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=open+source+crm+linux

cubeist
March 20th, 2010, 08:16 PM
What you actually want is a CRM package like Chaos or Act! not a PIM.
There are a number of CRM packages for Linux.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=open+source+crm+linux

I have never seen lmgtfy before... that is very cool!

As for a PIM, I have a good old fashioned paper notebook/calendar and a pen... It is fully compatible with linux! Sometimes people look for technological solutions when all you need is some good organization and some basic materials... but hey, each to their own :P

AllRadioisDead
March 20th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Spicebird? It's outdated though =/

andrewabc
March 21st, 2010, 01:21 AM
Not that good for contacts, but great for calendar/alarms/notes/appointments.

Mozilla Sunbird (http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/calendar/) or lightening with thunderbird.

web calendar (http://www.k5n.us/webcalendar.php)
Has a demo to try out. (It's opensource/free, I mean try it before install it). Seems to be in german currently. you'll get the idea. Don't know about contacts.

There is all the CRM/ERP programs you can try if you really needed contact database, but I don't see one for specifically that purpose (and combine with calendar stuff).

doorknob60
March 21st, 2010, 03:30 AM
You meantioned Outlook, that works in Wine. Some of the others might too. Not the best solution, but certainly better than Virtualbox.

tgalati4
March 21st, 2010, 03:33 AM
sugarcrm.com
getontracks.org
43folders.com

gmail suite with plugins

With the growing availablity of smartphones, PIM's are 90's technology. I use tracks to print out a list of todo's once a week to review.

wyomingpat
March 22nd, 2010, 01:41 AM
Hi guys - things like Vtiger are a real bind and compicated to install. I have Chaos & Ecco Pro running under wine but neither really integrate with anything else in that format. The others like evolution do not link information from task to appt to contact. Ecco Pro is the real master at that and it is small and compact and fast but development stopped in 1997.

Fine running exchange in a browser, chaos does that too and syncs with a desktop but not tried the online servcic under wine.
Ideally if someone could implement Ecco Pro and bring it upto date with the integration side I am sure it would sell well.

I have Act! under windows but again that is a big App requiring sqlsrver etc and it has a habit of misbehaving and making its databases unavailable - then it is a days work to find the problem and fix it - only runs under windows.

samalex
March 22nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
Thunderbird with either Lightning or Sunbird (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/) installed works great for me. I even have it linked to shared content via Google so my wife and I can both update it as need be.

Also Evolution works pretty good as well, though I didn't use it in Jaunty since the version that was released in 9.04 didn't support all day events which I needed. I may try it again after moving to 10.04, but honestly my setup now leaves nothing to be desired.

Take care --

Sam

fatality_uk
March 22nd, 2010, 05:07 PM
What are you using it for? If you have that many apps running as CRM packages, I would suggest that you need to examine what your requirments are.

Most of the packages outlined here are easily the equal of Act.

From the vtiger web site is a quick how to and the code needed to cut and paste into terminal to get everything up and running.

If it is for a business, then I would suggest looking at a support package for somthing like vtiger. The T.C.O for something like that vs Act!+support is very competitive.

bnext
March 25th, 2010, 04:30 AM
OSMO is a nice, simple little pim software. I enjoy using it very much. Good for calendars (including ical), contacts, tasks (including recurring), and notes (including locked notes). If a pim is what you would like, maybe you can try this one. It's simple and efficient...

BeamingFuture
March 30th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I use Lotus Notes for mail and PIM in Ubuntu. Works fine and got more functions than Oulook. Lotes Notes on Ubuntu is fully supported by IBM.

The contact book in Lotus Notes has lots of features and I can sync mail, calendar, contacts, todo etc to my phone using Lotus Traveler (a server side addon to the Lotus Domino mail server).

Sector11
May 17th, 2010, 08:14 PM
OSMO is a nice, simple little pim software. I enjoy using it very much. Good for calendars (including ical), contacts, tasks (including recurring), and notes (including locked notes). If a pim is what you would like, maybe you can try this one. It's simple and efficient...

OSMO is nice, but there is a program that is better IMHO: jpilot. (Avaliable in Synaptic) One does NOT need a Pilot/Palm or other electronic Agenda to use it.

I started using the "free" (cough cough) Palm Desktop 4.1.4 (http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/33529_en.html#windows) with Windows because it can be downloaded freely. One doesn't need a palm device to use it. Of course, now I don't use it, it doesn't like Linux.

doublewitt
July 11th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I recently moved the technician machines in the company I work for to Linux. I had to convert the entire network from Exchange to Zimbra. But hey, it was worth it.

Get Zimbra.

Just downloaded and installed it - Wow! that is some fantastic software...! Really, really nice... Get it!