PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Changing motherboard.

azrulyahya77
March 20th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Hi.

I'm thinking of changing my motherboard because of:-

1. Ubuntu do not detect my graphic chip - SiS964 :mad:
2. My onboard audio chip recently die on me. ](*,)
3. My board sux - ECS 661FX-M7(Rev 1.2A) :frown:

I'm going for Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L, because the price is in my budget.
- IntelŪG41 + ICH7 Chipset

Revolution energy saving design with Easy Energy Saver Technology
Supports 45nm Intel Core 2 multi-core processors with FSB 1333 MHz
Dual channel DDR2 1066(OC) for remarkable system performance
Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 (DirectX 10)
Features high speed Gigabit Ethernet.
Home theater quality 8-channel High Definition Audio
Patented DualBIOS with dual hardware BIOS protection
Meet European Union ErP(Energy-related Products) requirement

My question is; do I need to reinstall Ubuntu?.
And will Ubuntu detect the Intel Graphic Media Accelerator X4500 onboard graphic chip ? :-k

Please advise.

Thank you and cheers ! :P

oldfred
March 20th, 2010, 04:43 PM
A year ago I swapped out my motherboard and Video card. I had no problems but it was from an older Nvidia to a newer Nvidia with the same version a driver.
I would expect you not to have any problems.

iponeverything
March 20th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I have had about a 80% success rate in moving drives to different systems and having things just work without extra tinkering..

fjf
March 20th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Try. You can always get a cheap nvidia card if the onboard video does not work.

Herman
March 20th, 2010, 09:01 PM
One of the advantages of using Ubuntu is that we never need to agree with any EULA which makes us promise to only use it in one computer.
We can use Ubuntu in as many computers as we like, and Ubuntu is actually set up to make that as easy for us as possible. Ubuntu detects hardware on boot-up and sets itself up automatically for most computers.

If you're not sure what hardware to buy, or how your new hardware will work with Ubuntu, you can try looking it up at UbuntuHCL.org (http://www.ubuntuhcl.org/) - Ubuntu Hardware Compatibility Site.
Maybe somebody else has written a review there and can tell you how well your proposed new hardware worked for them.
In return, you might take the time to help others by posting details of hardware that you know works okay with Ubuntu.

azrulyahya77
March 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM
Hi.

Thanks you all for the advice.

I just bought me a Galaxy Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 256MB 128Bit card, and its run perfectly on Ubuntu. That solved my graphic chip issue. ( Thanks fjf ! ) :D

For my sound issue, I bought a PCI Sound Blaster 5.1 VX card and I'm happy. :guitar:

Thanks all and cheers !.\\:D/