PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.4 new install + upgrade manager - no panels

terryazthompson
March 20th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I installed 10.4 beta tonight twice, after install, I ran update-manager. After reboot, I have a window with background screen - no panels, alt f2 does not work.

I have done 3 times, 3rd time was just doing these 2 things.

This is on Dell inspiron 1150.

any suggestions.

terryazthompson
March 20th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Found problem - Do I report bug? if so, how...

I removed the first line of the file /usr/share/applications/gnome-panel.desktop

the line was "X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=gnome-panel-2.0"

Apparently, this file needs to start with a group name (bracketed text).

Anyway, not sure which update put this in, but after removing and rebooting, i appear to be fine.

fenririx
March 20th, 2010, 11:00 AM
read thread"Avoid updating Ubuntu Lucid Beta 1" it will guide you in the right direction.

sinurge
March 20th, 2010, 11:02 AM
read thread"Avoid updating Ubuntu Lucid Beta 1" it will guide you in the right direction.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1434341

sinurge
March 20th, 2010, 11:29 AM
what you can do is Alt+t which will bring up the terminal and then run gnome-panel. btw doing a sudo -apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade again will now fix it as a new patch has been released. Posting this post that patch checking

terryazthompson
March 20th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the help, got updates and am good. alt-t was really ctrl-alt-t, but thanks, it is a new shortcut i did not know about.

Tehrasha
August 9th, 2010, 04:10 PM
For something that was supposed to be fixed, it looks like it is still affecting some. It just happened to me.

New install of 10.4 (i386 alternate).
Worked fine for several days.
Ran the update manager last night.
Now I have no desktop.
After logging in, I get only a default background (not my chosen wallpaper)and a mouse cursor. No panels, no nautilus.

alt-t and ctrl-alt-t do not bring up a teminal.
alt-backspace does not not restart X.

ctrl-alt-F1 into a console is fine... now what?

EDIT: logging in to an xterm session, and can run gnome-session and all appears as normal.
Ok for now, but would rather get it to work properly.