PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else find it sad and depressing?

jayze
March 20th, 2010, 09:06 AM
As I've been visiting the forums I've slowly realised a really really sad fact.....that our future is in the hands of people who take the internet for gospel instead of just random information that you connect too via a bit of plastic...and who no longer know how to think for themselves> Q:. "According to this website" etc and so forth
I've noticed something else too...I'll call it "switched off thinking"....a tendency to not bother to learn or get involved because the PC/the net/IT etc will do it for you.
Good job then kids that youve all been practising shooting down monsters with machines or getting a few clues by watching oodles of silly sci-fi....you might need it when the machine really does become intelligent LIFE.
I'm looking foward to the second coming.....undoubtedly the next virgin birth will result in a creature with square eyes, a smallish brain, and a capacity to be able to restore itself.
I know theres a few oldies on here who who will agree with me....but I'd be honestly interested to hear the majority (who'll probably think ...what the **** is she on about) in their efforts to disagree or deny.:popcorn:

gsmanners
March 20th, 2010, 09:55 AM
[citation needed] :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_I_Was_Your_Age

jayze
March 20th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the musical link lol lol....You misunderstood maybe...I wasn't saying how good the young have it these days....totally the opposite..in truth my heart bleeds for the young in the world today....I was gonna send you back the Animals singing "Oh Lord please don't Let me Be Misunderstood"..but dunno how to link it up!....Or maybe youd like Pink FFloyd's "Its just another brick in the wall".anyway will defo serenade you when I've worked out how to these things....

fugazi32
March 20th, 2010, 12:47 PM
You have to remember there is an underground community of intelligent free-thinkers, learning to hack, who read books, think, question, do the right psychedelic drugs and have the right attitude to life in general.
You just won't hear about them in the media... ;)

jayze
March 20th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Well I'm glad to hear it!.....and Now I really am gonna do the naggin gran bit... lateral thinkers...(usually those with the U2 gene)...roughly about one in a thousand of the (measured western) population...should not expand an already expanded brain or sometime soon it will go "POP"(genetics) DON'T DO DRUGS (unless of course you are aiming for a long slow painfull braindead death) ps for our Compatriots over the water....that applies even more so to the vegetable type of drug that will ALSO stretch your bronchial tubes so eventually they fill up with fluid and rot. Nice!

eginon
March 20th, 2010, 01:37 PM
What is this crazy talk about the internet not being true?
SHE'S A WITCH, BURN HER!

I think if you look at things from a historical perspective, the free-thinkers in any community have always been a minority. As a community grows you get people with a broader spectrum of interests. The thing is, some people just don't care about investigating/questioning everything, solving new problems, or being brilliant innovators. And that is okay! Some people just want to email their cousins, shoot zombies in the face, and chat with their friends. We can't all be Newton when we grow up, most of us are stuck just being average. Even more importantly, why should people work to be someone other than who they are? Life is far too short to do things that don't interest you or increase your enjoyment of life because someone else says that you should.

The basis for your concern are some of the same complaints leveled against the generation who grew up with TV and didn't read as many books. And before that it was the same complaint leveled at the people who read fiction mainly for pleasure and not for intellectual development or literary merit. So it's kind of cyclic that the older generation believes the younger generation is in real trouble because they aren't interested in the same things in the same way as their elders.

Respectuflly,
Non-thinking mindless zombie of the internet

sdowney717
March 20th, 2010, 01:48 PM
burning witches (think middle ages and today in parts of Africa) brought solace and comfort to the community which was dealing with a lot of false teaching about certain religious issues.
For the good of the many the few went to their deaths, like a scape goat mentality being played out. How unfortunate for the few that suffered and of course did not help the many at all. Crops still failed, animals miscarry and plagues ended only after they ran their courses.
The few false teachers who created the whole problem in the first place got to keep their power over the community and perhaps went to Hell. And the poor wretches who suffered went to Heaven.

Meep3D
March 20th, 2010, 02:00 PM
As I've been visiting the forums I've slowly realised a really really sad fact.....that our future is in the hands of people who take the internet for gospel instead of just random information that you connect too via a bit of plastic...and who no longer know how to think for themselves> Q:. "According to this website" etc and so forth
I've noticed something else too...I'll call it "switched off thinking"....a tendency to not bother to learn or get involved because the PC/the net/IT etc will do it for you.
Good job then kids that youve all been practising shooting down monsters with machines or getting a few clues by watching oodles of silly sci-fi....you might need it when the machine really does become intelligent LIFE.
I'm looking foward to the second coming.....undoubtedly the next virgin birth will result in a creature with square eyes, a smallish brain, and a capacity to be able to restore itself.
I know theres a few oldies on here who who will agree with me....but I'd be honestly interested to hear the majority (who'll probably think ...what the **** is she on about) in their efforts to disagree or deny.:popcorn:

Many people have many interests and simply don't care about learning about computers and technology. Many people are simply interested in other subjects and have different priorities in their lives. It may appear that they are ignorant, but largely it is simply not the case.

For example there are lots of people who are interested in literature who would be appalled at the entire lack of grammar, spelling and sentence structure in your post, but I am guessing it's just not a priority for you (and fair enough).

I think the mistake the technologically inclined make is that they think everyone should be just as interested and curious as they are, when people just want to get on with their lives and view computers as a means to an end only.

Tibuda
March 20th, 2010, 02:02 PM
burning witches (think middle ages and today in parts of Africa) brought solace and comfort to the community which was dealing with a lot of false teaching about certain religious issues.
how do you tell the difference from the false the truth? for those people that were dead, they were not teaching anything false. you could say the same about when christians were killed by romans in the past.

For the good of the many the few went to their deaths, like a scape goat mentality being played out. How unfortunate for the few that suffered and of course did not help the many at all.
:facepalm:

Crops still failed, animals miscarry and plagues ended only after they ran their courses.
which says something about how those deaths were not needed in the first place.

sdowney717
March 20th, 2010, 05:33 PM
well, in the New Testament theology of Christianity, nobody is supposed to go around deliberately killing anyone. False teaching here is pretty much related to the Roman Church of the time. Although of course, some protestants did this in Salem. there are other religions which of course, this will not apply.
In prehistory, there were people who offered up human sacrifices to appease their gods. Which I view as mostly just plain bad. But it served the community understanding of how they related to the universe. One theory about why the middle American civilizations collapsed was due to famines and or revolts against the priestly class when these sacrifices no longer seemed to work.

People would still feel the same feelings and fears in the past as they due today. And to me something is wrong about a society or religion that does such things.
Today, you dont have to look too hard too find people doing bad stuff and saying it is part of their faith.

juancarlospaco
March 20th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Its called being "Emo"

dmizer
March 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Wherever this thread was going, it seems to have been there and gone.

Thank you all for participating.