PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu-sucks.com

booksnmore4you
March 20th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Okay, there's tones that is just awfully wrong about this.

Look up ubuntu-sucks.com - http://www.whois.net/whois/ubuntu-sucks.com

It is owned by Canonnical and redirects to a bug report page. Same with ubuntusucks.com - http://www.whois.net/whois/ubuntusucks.com

Look, I really enjoy Ubuntu. It's been my preferred Linux OS...to this point.

But this is disgusting in terms of free, freedom and free speech.

Disgusting. Utterly.

And I am from here on boycotting Ubuntu because of it.

-------------

derekeverett
March 20th, 2010, 08:33 AM
How is that disgusting in terms of free speech?

They have as much right as anyone else to buy the domain.. if someone really wants to have an Ubuntu-sucks domain they will get one...

I agree that Ubuntu have some rules that I don't agree with as far as not completely being fair to all.. christian vs. satanic edition perhaps.. but I'm not sure I see your point here.

NightwishFan
March 20th, 2010, 08:35 AM
edited

booksnmore4you
March 20th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Not even the money-grubbing freedom-suppressing Microsoft has gone to this length. See http://www.microsoftsucks.org/

I discovered this fact about Canonnical while researching the meme of [product]sucks domains for a paper.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

KiwiNZ
March 20th, 2010, 08:43 AM
How on earth is owning a Domain name taking away your freedom or freedom of speech?

derekeverett
March 20th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I wouldn't assume that you know the motives behind Canonical purchasing the domain..

I have no clue either, but simply buying it so that no one else can doesn't make a lot of sense to me. That is a never ending expense of money and time to buy up every negative sounding domain name out there.

There could well be a good explanation. Maybe your jumping to conclusions?

ad_267
March 20th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Ha, I think that's quite clever.

I don't think they're doing it to prevent anyone else from owning the domain, but rather to point people with complaints towards the bug reporting site.

derekeverett
March 20th, 2010, 08:53 AM

I don't think they're doing it to prevent anyone else from owning the domain, but rather to point people with complaints towards the bug reporting site.

Like I said.. could be an explanation...

If that's the case then that is clever!

Chronon
March 20th, 2010, 08:54 AM

This is my view as well. I think it shows a sense of humor.

derekeverett
March 20th, 2010, 08:55 AM
I vote this thread be marked as solved!

booksnmore4you
March 20th, 2010, 08:58 AM
[productname]sucks and [companyname]sucks domains are a well developed meme, a well developed format in which people make criticisms about a product or company.

Reference, for a few example

www.paypalsucks.com

www.oreilly-sucks.com

disney-sucks.com

www.allstateinsurancesucks.com

www.peta-sucks.com

lowes-sucks.com

It seems Canonnical wishes to suppress that well-known meme/format, suppress the wide reading of critical views that might come from it.