PDA

View Full Version : Who loves Beaver?

handy
March 20th, 2010, 08:18 AM
I have been using Beaver the text editor for well over a year.

It is the lightest editor I have found thus far, it gives me all of the preferences & more that I desire.

I expect that many here don't even know that Beaver exists (I suppose you could be called Beaver virgins), so I thought that I would just bring it to your attention.

Beaver is NOT a programmer's editor, it does the other stuff, for me anyway.

Try it, if you don't like it, delete it?

I expect that some of you thought I was talking about this kind of Beaver, (see attachment) but you were obviously wrong. ;)

HappinessNow
March 20th, 2010, 08:28 AM

It is the lightest editor I have found thus far, it gives me all of the preferences & more that I desire.

I expect that many here don't even know that Beaver exists (I suppose you could be called Beaver virgins), so I thought that I would just bring it to your attention.

I expect that some of you thought I was talking about this kind of Beaver, (see attachment) but you were obviously wrong. ;)

Ha! I thought you were referring to the Great Flat Tail!!!...of which I posted a thread recently after seeing 3 Beavers in the wild!

reference:
I saw three real live beavers tonight! (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1405021)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1405021

About the program, I am a Beaver virgin since I have never used it and I never knew it existed! :p

derekeverett
March 20th, 2010, 08:30 AM
The beaver is a fine animal. I haven't seen one in the wild since I was a kid but they are something to see.

They know what they want and the community comes together and builds it from scratch. Reminds me of another community....

Might have to check the editor out sometime... but I use text editors mostly for C and Java..

handy
March 20th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Ha! I thought you were referring to the Great Flat Tail!!!...of which I posted a thread recently after seeing 3 Beavers in the wild!

I saw a Beaver in the wild when I was visiting North America, & camping at the Maroon Bells, just out of Aspen.

Everything I saw there was magnificently beautiful, the experience was one of the many highlights of my life. :)

Swarms
March 20th, 2010, 08:39 AM

reference:
I saw three real live beavers tonight! (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1405021)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1405021

About the program, I am a Beaver virgin since I have never used it and I never knew it existed! :p

If you had misunderstand it, you did it in THAT way? :P

HappinessNow
March 20th, 2010, 08:45 AM
If you had misunderstand it, you did it in THAT way? :P
yes of course which would also explain this comic:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=150719&d=1269071122

Swarms
March 20th, 2010, 08:47 AM
:d

handy
March 20th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Holy Dooley, I'd never ask anyone to wash a rodent THAT big, that thing could ingest a part of you!

HappinessNow
March 20th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Holy Dooley, I'd never ask anyone to wash a rodent THAT big, that thing could ingest a part of you!

I actually researched Beavers and in the wild they are quite viscous when confronted! Let alone try and wash or shave one!

handy
March 20th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I actually researched Beavers and in the wild they are quite viscous when confronted! Let alone try and wash or shave one!

Or try to blow up its tail (pneumatically, not explode it, I'm an environmentalist) & make it the shape it was supposed to be.

I think that Beaver tails must have become flat from too many trunks falling on them. This may have caused, over a period of hundreds of thousands of years their genes to make flat tails mandatory.

It was the Beaver's way of saying, my flat tail wasn't due to clumsiness, I was meant to have it. So stop laughing at me you guys?

The Beaver's flat tail is also the prime reason that Beavers learned to write.

In an effort to prove that there truly is a reason why they should have such an unusual flat tail (& stop the other animals from making fun of them). They learned to write in Beaver speak, on the Beaver pads that they hold so close to their Beaver tails.

So now you know how the wonderful Beaver text editor got its name. ;)

sudoer541
March 20th, 2010, 08:57 PM

OMG!!! its so CUTE!!!

wilee-nilee
March 20th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Hey I love the TT of this thread.;)

Edit: with a little research remembering a Giant Beaver species;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castoroides_ohioensis
Kind of scary eh not the beaver you would want to run into.

Doctor Mike
March 20th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Just love the title. Call me a smuck, smotlz, or other...

Onyros
March 20th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I loved the GTK1 version. I still keep it around, I just love the icon.

handy
March 21st, 2010, 12:14 AM
OMG!!! its so CUTE!!!

When my wife & I were over in Canada visiting friends who live on Vancouver Island, I happened to have a birthday, So we celebrated at various people's houses for 3 days. (They know how to party over there!)

There was a girl from Oz, who had married a Canadian & lived there now. Anyway she said to me as she handed me the gift, that "everyone needs a little Beaver on their birthday". :)

I'm so happy that she gave me a little furry one instead of software.

tjwoosta
March 21st, 2010, 01:43 AM
In an effort to prove that there truly is a reason why they should have such an unusual flat tail (& stop the other animals from making fun of them). They learned to write in Beaver speak, on the Beaver pads that they hold so close to their Beaver tails.

I know its a joke but there is a real purpose for the beavers flat tail. They use it to pack mud down when building their den. It also serves as a sort of defense mechanism. When threatened beavers will slap thier tail as hard as they can against the surface of the water creating an extreamely loud, almost shotgun like sound that can be heard for miles.

handy
March 21st, 2010, 02:03 AM
I know its a joke but there is a real purpose for the beavers flat tail. They use it to pack mud down when building their den. It also serves as a sort of defense mechanism. When threatened beavers will slap thier tail as hard as they can against the surface of the water creating an extreamely loud, almost shotgun like sound that can be heard for miles.

The one I saw at the Maroon Bells, was sitting on its tail, the tail was facing forward (insulation, balance?) as it ate the reeds that it would go into the lake & pull out, then come back, sit back on its folded under tail & chomp away.

It was a great experience to watch the Beaver doing its stuff. It had a lodge in the lake too, pretty big thing it was as well.

hansdown
March 21st, 2010, 02:07 AM

This is true.

humphreybc
March 21st, 2010, 02:58 AM
I would have liked to see an admins face when he read the title before clicking through =P

mkendall
March 21st, 2010, 04:41 AM
Haven't tried the editor.

My first thought reading the title: "Another Canadian is upset about The Beaver (http://www.historysociety.ca/bea.asp) changing its name."

nothingspecial
April 7th, 2010, 12:17 AM
So, come on handy,

Why should I switch from nano to Beaver?

handy
April 7th, 2010, 12:28 AM
So, come on handy,

Why should I switch from nano to Beaver?

I wouldn't say that you should. :)

Nano is great.

I have LMB & RMB buttons, set up on Worker, for editing selected files or for just opening Beaver ready to create a new file.

Though I probably use Nano more often from Sakura that is opened automatically when I boot up & open Openbox; Sakura sits on its own dedicated desktop.

Nano or Beaver are fine by me.

Variety is the spice of life. :)

nothingspecial
April 7th, 2010, 12:36 AM
You made me want to try beaver. :)

handy
April 7th, 2010, 12:40 AM
You made me want to try beaver. :)

I remember when I first tried it I loved it, it just made me want to keep trying it.

nothingspecial
April 7th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Although......

What is that tvm you use? I like terminator but prefer dvtm. What you have looks cool.

For reference, what I use, although illustrated on a net book is here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9084177&postcount=16

nothingspecial
April 7th, 2010, 12:47 AM
I remember when I first tried it I loved it, it just made me want to keep trying it.

This thread is going to get closed :P

handy
April 7th, 2010, 12:54 AM
This thread is going to get closed :P

There is no need.

nothingspecial
April 7th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Then, I shall not post my thoughts on my first experience of beaver.