PDA

View Full Version : Can't install UNR on Emachines netbook

Chloe08
March 20th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Hi! I've been fooling around with my netbook all day, trying to get a netbook-appropriate OS installed, without success. I use Linux Mint on my desktop, and really love it, but there's no netbook remix flavor of it available, so I thought I'd look into UNR. I downloaded the ISO file, put it on my 4GB flash drive using Unetbootin, made sure the BIOS of my netbook was set to boot from USB, and rebooted it with the flash drive in.

Everything seems to be working just fine until the splash screen goes away, and is replaced by the white circle-shaped cursor. No matter how long I wait, that cursor never goes away, and the desktop never shows up for me to install Ubuntu from the Live USB. I even went and took an hour nap while waiting for something else to happen, and when I came back...nothing.

There is an option on the first screen to go ahead and install to a hard drive without testing the Live environment first, but the same thing happens when I select this option. The computer just seems to get stuck at that *$&%@#$ white cursor!

My netbook has an Atom N270 processor and 1GB of RAM, which I assumed would be sufficient for this installation. Yesterday I installed Linux Mint 8 on my desktop, which also has 1GB of RAM, with no problems.

I don't have an external CD drive. I've tried everything else I can think of. I tried installing the main edition of Ubuntu with the alternate installation CD image, thinking that I could then just install the UNR packages separately, but that didn't work because the installer kept trying to find a CD-ROM drive that obviously doesn't exist on my netbook.

I'm so frustrated right now. The only thing I've been able to successfully install on this netbook is the XFCE version of Mint, which is okay, but I really like the look of the netbook remix interface. Is this hopeless?