PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Poll Virtual vs Wine vs Boot

toogooda
March 20th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Interested in knowing how people deal with the occasional windows task I personaly prefer Virtualisation over Dual Boot or Wine what do you do?

Ozymandias_117
March 20th, 2010, 04:33 AM
What KIND of windows tasks? Personally, I've been able to find Linux alternatives to everything except two of my games... One runs in Wine, the other you HAVE to dual-boot to use. So... I do both Wine and dual-boot. But I ALSO have a Virtualbox because I like testing various anti-virus programs. ;) So, it mainly just depends on what you're doing.

Edit: Since you don't have an "All of the above" option, I'll check Virtualbox just because I also love trying other Linux distros in them =D

Austin25
March 20th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Actually, I use all three at different times.
Dual boot for my parents
Wine for the occasional Windows app
Virtual Box(I suppose not for windows, but still) for helping find bugs for 10.04

toogooda
March 20th, 2010, 09:55 AM
What KIND of windows tasks? Personally, I've been able to find Linux alternatives to everything except two of my games... One runs in Wine, the other you HAVE to dual-boot to use. So... I do both Wine and dual-boot. But I ALSO have a Virtualbox because I like testing various anti-virus programs. ;) So, it mainly just depends on what you're doing.

Edit: Since you don't have an "All of the above" option, I'll check Virtualbox just because I also love trying other Linux distros in them =D

Yes I also try to find Ubuntu/Linux alternatives as well, but alas my company has not seen the light and there are some windows only apps I must use at home from time to time.

asmoore82
March 20th, 2010, 06:52 PM
VirtualBox for Work.
Wine for Fun.

My laptop won't Dual Boot until you pry it from my cold, dead hands. :KS

MelDJ
March 20th, 2010, 07:27 PM
dual boot wins easily

asmoore82
March 20th, 2010, 08:21 PM
dual boot wins easily

If you look at total number of people with a Windoze partition versus those without,
Dual boot loses easily.

a.walker
March 21st, 2010, 02:13 AM
The windows applications I use at work run perfectly in Wine. I guess that is the advantage of having niche proprietary software dating back to Win98. Thus I use Wine when I'm working from home.. The programs actually work better under wine than windows xp.

My wife likes to print coupons from coupons.com and they have some sort of coupon printer plugin for firefox and IE that writes all sorts of crap to the registry and won't work in wine (I honestly wouldn't want it installed in wine anyway). As so my wife uses Virtualbox (the proprietary version) to print coupons.

I don't use any windows programs that require me to dual-boot. So I'm pretty close to being free of windows.

fab.head
March 21st, 2010, 11:55 AM
I use WinXP in Virtualbox PUEL for Sendblaster (http://www.sendblaster.com), an easy-to-use and effective mass mailing program.
I couldn't find any good equivalent for Linux apart from Unimailer (http://www.unimailer.com/), which hasn't been updated since a long time (and it's not as good as Sendblaster).

As Senblaster doesn't work with Wine and I cannot reboot to Windows as I need to carry on with other tasks at the same time, Virtualbox is the best solution to me.

I also use Virtualbox to run the Nokia software updater/Nokia PC Suite and the updater for my GPS system.

MelDJ
March 21st, 2010, 07:49 PM
If you look at total number of people with a Windoze partition versus those without,
Dual boot loses easily.

lol. in terms of performance dual boot wins

farmgirl14
March 1st, 2012, 04:28 PM
I'm not a drinker....but when I HAVE to use Windows....I'll have some Wine. :p