PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Icon themes never work

toogooda
March 20th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Hi All,

I love the eye candy stuff and have gotten everything the way I like it except for defualt icons IE folders, devices etc.

I have downloaded over 10 icon themes and total themes, but only a small amount of the icons take effect (usually just the Mime-type ones. When I look in /home/..../.icons/ and open the folders for the themes I have installed I can see hundreds more nice Icons that are being displayed.

I have tried reinstalling them etc, even treaded Ubuntu like ******* and did restarts but always seems to use small plain looking icons.

I am running Ubuntu 9.10 with Compiz and glx-dock other than that all standard.

Instructions for gnome themes just say drag and drop no other config needed what am I missing?

ssulaco
March 20th, 2010, 04:37 AM
go to system->preferences->Apperance.....save the icon pack to the desktop.....within the themes preferences click on install theme....choose your icon pack from the desktop....it should ask if you want to use it.

Harry James
March 20th, 2010, 06:47 AM
The process called rundll32 has probably shut down t happens when windows detect a foregn invasion mostly viruses or other stuff and it shuts down rundll32 thats wat u r facing
there are two solutions of it..
first open run command type "rundll32" hit enter scan your pc for viruses and stuff by avg as well as prevx csi from internet they delete the mild viruses but require license for major ones so u manually delete the major ones
if this doesnt work u shud probably get a whole system format have a backup of important data add avg as antivirus and comodo as firewall
you will also see remarkable increase in your pc performance and i think thats it..

toogooda
March 20th, 2010, 10:01 AM
The process called rundll32 has probably shut down t happens when windows detect a foregn invasion mostly viruses or other stuff and it shuts down rundll32 thats wat u r facing
there are two solutions of it..
first open run command type "rundll32" hit enter scan your pc for viruses and stuff by avg as well as prevx csi from internet they delete the mild viruses but require license for major ones so u manually delete the major ones
if this doesnt work u shud probably get a whole system format have a backup of important data add avg as antivirus and comodo as firewall
you will also see remarkable increase in your pc performance and i think thats it..

LOL I will have to give you the benifit of the doubt and asume you typed in the wrong box, as I have never seen a reply so far from the topic before.
Ubuntu not windows...Nothing to do with security and I certainly don't need rundii32.

Thanks anyway

toogooda
March 20th, 2010, 10:03 AM
go to system->preferences->Apperance.....save the icon pack to the desktop.....within the themes preferences click on install theme....choose your icon pack from the desktop....it should ask if you want to use it.

Yes as I said above I followed the instructions but only some of the icons seem to apply (just mime-type) all the directories etc stay the same, even though you can see them inside the tar ball.

ssulaco
March 21st, 2010, 02:01 AM
Seems to me the (tar.gz) extension installs the best,why some do and some dont,I dont know

kelt65
March 22nd, 2010, 04:47 PM
Most likely you're downloading icon sets that use an outdated icon naming scheme. They don't quality check on gnome-art so you have to watch it. If you look at one of the icon sets that works, you'll see what the icons are supposed to be called, and then you can go through the tedious process of renaming them.

toogooda
March 30th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Most likely you're downloading icon sets that use an outdated icon naming scheme. They don't quality check on gnome-art so you have to watch it. If you look at one of the icon sets that works, you'll see what the icons are supposed to be called, and then you can go through the tedious process of renaming them.

Hey thanks, do you know if there is instructions on what they should be called as there are hundreds. There must be some kind of guid people can use when creating them.

Cheers,

AT