PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need serious help with installing Java and a torrent

The Hellion
March 20th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Hey everyone. This is shameful, but I am a relative moron when it comes to using Ubuntu. I know... laugh. It would be appropriate. This is a relatively old machine and I purchased it from a friend. She said Ubuntu was a good choice to maximize space as opposed to XP. I want to find a way (and maybe an example of one) to get a torrent download app on my computer for file sharing. I found one that uses Java, but when I tried to install java it was utter failure. Ugh...
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

mkvnmtr
March 20th, 2010, 02:49 AM
There must be 10 torrent apps in the synaptic package manager. Deluge is the one I use. The only one that I think might use jave is Vuse and if you pick it to download anything required will be downloaded with it. On a stock install you have Tranmission installed and it is easy to use. It is probably not a good idea to be searching the internet for apps when you have so many good ones that are in the repositories just a click away.

Ijan
March 20th, 2010, 02:55 AM
+ Running the preinstalled Transmission instead of Vuze might be a better idea taking into account that running a "relatively old machine" you may want a torrent software that uses as little recources as possible. The latter is quite a biggie.

nitstorm
March 20th, 2010, 03:01 AM
You can also use rtorrent. It's my fav torrent downloader so far.

sudo apt-get install rtorrent is the command from the terminal to install it and here is a link to help you out with it http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/05/02/howto-use-rtorrent-like-a-pro/

The Hellion
March 26th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll do my best at trying any of those (or looking within my system). Like I said I'm pretty much a greenhorn when it comes to running anything outside of Firefox on this damn thing. Learning on the fly has it's positives and negatives.