PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Corrupt .iso image download

d.vanheeckeren
March 20th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Hi there, I didn't see this in another thread... It seems that every time I download the 32-bit server iso image, the download is corrupted. I've downloaded it twice, and it's corrupted in the same place. After the first download, I suspected just a bad cd so burned another one, and all three (two from first download, third from second download) are bad in the same place. I suspect it's somehow a problem with the way my computer is downloading, because I don't see this problem mentioned in your forums. Any suggestions?

And now that I think about it, will 64-bit run on an AMD Athlon XP 2100 (1.733GHz)?

hansdown
March 20th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Welcome to the forum d.vanheeckeren.

Two Things; 1: Burning the disc at the slowest speed is desirable.

2: The mirror you are downloading from, or the torrent, may be bad. Change the mirror, or torrent.

d.vanheeckeren
March 20th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I don't have that option on the 'enhanced download page', so I'll try from a mirror, and I'll also set the burn speed to lowest and keep you updated. Thanks for the help!

[EDIT]

should I try disabling the firefox download manager?

srs5694
March 20th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Also, Linux software repositories, including those for Ubuntu, usually include a file called MD5SUMS or something similar. This file includes a type of checksum value, called an md5sum, for each file on the site. In Linux, the md5sum program calculates md5sum values; in Windows, you can try a tool like md5summer (http://www.md5summer.org/) (I've never used it; it just turned up first when I Googled "md5sum windows"). In any event, you can check the md5sum of the file you've got and compare it to what the repository site says it should be. If the values differ, you shouldn't bother burning a disc, since you know the download was bad. This won't help if you've got a burn problem, though (a batch of bad discs or a problem with your optical drive, say).

hansdown
March 20th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I don't have that option on the 'enhanced download page', so I'll try from a mirror, and I'll also set the burn speed to lowest and keep you updated. Thanks for the help!

[EDIT]

should I try disabling the firefox download manager?

Download manager should be fine.

Burning at the slowest speed, is probably your best bet.

It cuts down on file corruption.

d.vanheeckeren
March 20th, 2010, 06:11 AM
ok, downloaded from mirror, checked md5 before burning, burned with slowest allowed burn speed (24x) and had burning software verify data after write, and it all went well, the cd is installing on the server machine as we speak. Thanks for the help!! As I'm a Windows administrator and trying Linux for the very first time, I'll probably be asking a lot more questions, especially advice on ubuntu equivalents of windows server software. :D

hansdown
March 20th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Hey, that's great d.vanheeckeren.

Glad you got things going.