PDA

View Full Version : Found a baby squirrel!

swoll1980
March 20th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Don't know what to do with it. We let it lay out side for a few hours, to see if it's mom would get him, but she just sat in the tree barking at him. She came down the tree smelled it then went back up the tree, and started barking at it again. It's getting cold, so we brought him in, warmed him up, made some calls, but everyone is closed. What the hell am I going to do with this thing? I don't think it's even a week old yet, it's eyes aren't even open yet.

Post Monkeh
March 20th, 2010, 12:16 AM
dunno about squirrells but for other animals if a newborn has too much contact with humans the mother will ignore it. it could be ill too and the mother doesn't want to look after it at expense of the more healthy babies

RabbitWho
March 20th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I dunno about squirrels but kittens that age gotta be fed every 3 hours (literally, it means staying up all night long). I don't even know what you'd feed a baby squirrel..
You have to get in contact with a vet if you want it to survive.

rottentree
March 20th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Keep him?

swoll1980
March 20th, 2010, 12:23 AM
dunno about squirrells but for other animals if a newborn has too much contact with humans the mother will ignore it. it could be ill too and the mother doesn't want to look after it at expense of the more healthy babies

We didn't go anywhere near it until we decided to rescue him. He seems very healthy. It fell about 15-20 feet out of the tree it was in. It's amazing that he doesn't seem to be hurt at all. I know if I fell that far I would be in a world of hurt.

jayze
March 20th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Okay I had some experience (not necessarily with squirrels tho).....I agree with the previous post.....but you can at least TRY.....keep it warm ( as in new born baby) but dont smother....cardboard box and a few rags in a sheltered corner should do...put a warm hot water bottle under the box....eye dropper...look up on the net re what you should use to feed (ref its a squirrel)....you gonna have to do it every few hours a little at a time...is it a red or a grey? by the way....and all through the night..its gonna be hard work....I have managed with birds and kittens and bigger creatures...mommy squirrels can get viscious by the way...good luck...and if it doesnt make it then at least you will have tried and given it a few hours/days more of life...

_h_
March 20th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Take pictures, post here.

Please?

swoll1980
March 20th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Okay I had some experience (not necessarily with squirrels tho).....I agree with the previous post.....but you can at least TRY.....keep it warm ( as in new born baby) but dont smother....cardboard box and a few rags in a sheltered corner should do...put a warm hot water bottle under the box....eye dropper...look up on the net re what you should use to feed (ref its a squirrel)....you gonna have to do it every few hours a little at a time...is it a red or a grey? by the way....and all through the night..its gonna be hard work....I have managed with birds and kittens and bigger creatures...mommy squirrels can get viscious by the way...good luck...and if it doesnt make it then at least you will have tried and given it a few hours/days more of life...

His mom is red, he just has black peach fuzz.

Phrea
March 20th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Squirrels bark...?

jayze
March 20th, 2010, 12:31 AM
PS if you are in the UK ring around the vets as often they are funded to sub by the RSPCA..or they may have links to local sanctuaries and voluntary rescues...you need to bear in mind they are classed as vermin really though a lot of vets and organisations dont lay much store by such labels....so do try...

schauerlich
March 20th, 2010, 12:32 AM
This may sound cold, but... sometimes nature has to take its course.

samjh
March 20th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Take a look at this website:
http://www.orphanedwildlifecare.com/

RabbitWho
March 20th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Googled it:

Looks like there are detailed instructions there.

edit: someone beat me to it.

This bit looks uber important:

Orphans that have been without their mother will be suffering from chill and dehydration. They must be thoroughly warmed first, and then, although they are starving, they must be given warmed rehydration solution before any milk formula is offered. Their dehydrated little body is simply unable to digest food (i.e. the milk solids in formula) and if given formula or other food before they are rehydrated it can kill them, or cause debilitating diarrhea. Pedialyte is a rehydration solution made for human babies, and is available in drug stores – it often comes fruit flavoured, but if you can find the unflavoured kind that is best for wildlife babies.

jayze
March 20th, 2010, 12:36 AM
well I'm guessing you USA then cos red ones are rare here (and not classed as vermin as is the grey in the UK) in fact in the UK I think the red is a protected species...Anyway it'll be a case of doing your best...dont handle him too much...just do what needs to be done...if youve had kids youll know...if not recruit your mom or your gran maybe

wojox
March 20th, 2010, 12:37 AM
So what are you gonna name him/her?

swoll2010 :D

samjh
March 20th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Just "Swoll" would be cute. ;)

oldsoundguy
March 20th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Here in the woods, I get a couple a year.

Fortunate to have a wild animal rescue agency within 20 miles of here, so they get put in a box and taken into the experts.

When I was a kid, I kept one. They don't live that long in captivity as they don't get the diet they need and there are things in a house that a squirrel just should not get into.

jayze
March 20th, 2010, 12:40 AM
And all of the replies on here are valid...but dont get anxious...life has a hell of a will to live even in little creatures...natures cruel yes but natures also tough...repeat...just do what you can without stressing too much

swoll1980
March 20th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Take pictures, post here.

Please?

Charging the batteries then I will post.

RabbitWho
March 20th, 2010, 12:43 AM
And all of the replies on here are valid...but dont get anxious...life has a hell of a will to live even in little creatures...natures cruel yes but natures also tough...repeat...just do what you can without stressing too much

Yes!

Do what you can, don't get attached and don't name him/her.

Berk
March 20th, 2010, 12:44 AM
As others have said, keep it warm, contact the vets as soon as you can / they are open.
Give it fluids, don't try and give it milk, most animals are only used to their own species milk, and they feed at different times.
A lecturer of mine once rescued some rabbits, being used to dogs she fed them regularly through the day, the babies died as that isn't how they're fed in the wild.

Basically, keep it warm and hydrated, but don't mess too much as you may do harm while trying to do good. Good luck with getting hold of the vets, and I hope the little bugger survives.

jayze
March 20th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Is there anyone on here with a biology/chemistry background who can figure out a formula for feeding....for example we used to make our own baby bird slurry from worms and egg yolk etc?

Berk
March 20th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Jayze, all animals are different and all have different requirements as neonates.
If you look about though I'm fairly sure you can find the info on what they need, finding the correct formulars though will be tricky and probably require dealing with a well stocked vet practice,.

jayze
March 20th, 2010, 12:57 AM
I dont disagree with finding a vet...but I've a long experience (honestly)..birds of all kinds, kittens, swans, bushbabies , sheep and on and on....we musnt get too "booky"....I've kept alive creatures that vets have written off as dead already....its common sense we need here really..and a lot of good stuff has been written here....
Its a MAMMAL....it needs rehydrating everyone agrees....if it were me I would use boiled then left to go tepid water with a just miniscule amount (I mean miniscule) of goats or sheeps milk and if not available then baby formula...but like 99.5% water...and very little at a time.
but yes if it can be got to a vet or similar ...and if not...back to the best you can and goodluck

swoll1980
March 20th, 2010, 12:58 AM
This may sound cold, but... sometimes nature has to take its course.

So I should leave him out there, and let my dog eat him? Can't do it.

swoll1980
March 20th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Take a look at this website:
Thanks for the guide.

I will follow this advice. We will give it pediolite, keep him warm, and try to reunite him with his mother in the mourning. The guide said she won't take him if he's cold. That explains why she wouldn't grab him.

RabbitWho
March 20th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Re what to feed him:

Esbilac is a puppy milk replacement formula, which you should be able to purchase at a vet clinic or pet store. Even if staff at a clinic or store claim they have a product that is “just as good” to substitute please do not accept it, but call around until you find Esbilac – your baby squirrel’s life depends on you getting the right formula. Get the Esbilac powder rather than the liquid, and keep it refrigerated after opening. Cow's milk, goat’s milk, soymilk, human baby formulas, and most other pet products (except Esbilac) are not suitable and will likely cause severe diarrhea/dehydration, malnutrition or death for the baby, and a great deal of heartache for you. Likewise, the homemade recipes for wildlife formulas that are posted to the Internet are often referred to as “death formulas” by experienced wildlife rehabilitators, so please do not use them.

you're in the UK? They'll probably have something different, who knows.

I think the key there is do not feed him milk. Find out from the vet what to feed him.

Look the person saying to let nature take it's course might be right, either you get in contact with a vet or you don't and who knows? I don't know how possible it's going to be to find something to feed him. Ring around enough vets and someone will be willing to help, some vets take it in turns like doctors so there will always be someone on call in case of emergency.

But it's night time, and he won't make it through the night without food, and what can you feed him? Don't worry too much about it, that's all. No point in getting upset as long as you do your best.

sandyd
March 20th, 2010, 01:05 AM
1. Keep the squirrel warm. You can do this by wrapping it in a towel, and putting a hot water bottle against/in the towel.

2. Go to the nearest drugstore and obtain some Pedialyte. This can be used to rehudrate the squirrel. The squirrel NEEDS to be hydrated before feeding, otherwise it could die.

3. Go to the nearest pet shop. They should have some ebsilac powder there (its for dogs, but it doesnt matter). That can be used to feed the squirrel.

4. Youll want to use a syringe when feeding, as different weigts squirrels require different amounts of food.

20-gram baby - 1 cc
40-gram baby - 2 cc
80-gram baby - 4 cc

5. Gently wipe its face after feeding, and gently dab using a wet cloth, or cotton to stimulate its bladder.

NOTE: IMPORTANT
a) make sure the squirrel does not swallow air bubbles, this can interfere with its breating
b) dont treat it like a pet - youll want to release it into the wild later on
c) if you have a cage, putting it in one would be nice because squirrels generally will run around the house, causing a great big mess when their old enough,

jayze
March 20th, 2010, 01:05 AM
I'm gonna say this once.......put him in a box with an old jumper in ,on top of a hot water bottle thats just warm...in a warmish place inside.....get hold of an eye dropper...tepid water and the merest sniff of baby formula( a mere drop to be given at a time)....every two to three hours right through...meanwhile get someone to look for a vet/ service/ rescue...dont maul or handle him too much...your other option is to try to find the nest and put him back (difficult) and mom may or may not want him...or ...sorry....neck him ...thats the choice!...Me? I'd give it all I'd got whilst saying a few prayers...and I gotta log off now so GOOD LUCK with it and God Bless

RabbitWho
March 20th, 2010, 01:14 AM
I'm gonna say this once.......put him in a box with an old jumper in ,on top of a hot water bottle thats just warm...in a warmish place inside.....get hold of an eye dropper...tepid water and the merest sniff of baby formula( a mere drop to be given at a time)....every two to three hours right through...meanwhile get someone to look for a vet/ service/ rescue...dont maul or handle him too much...your other option is to try to find the nest and put him back (difficult) and mom may or may not want him...or ...sorry....neck him ...thats the choice!...Me? I'd give it all I'd got whilst saying a few prayers...and I gotta log off now so GOOD LUCK with it and God Bless

A good thing you're only going to say it once because what you said will kill the squirrel according to this site: http://www.orphanedwildlifecare.com/#11

I know you were only trying to help but I really wish people wouldn't guess at things when it's actually a life or death situation.

Berk
March 20th, 2010, 01:20 AM
What RabbitWho said.
You cannot feed a neonate according to what you would feed another species.

All you can do is keep the animal warm, let it find its own warmth in a pile of blankets or similar, then get it to a vets as soon as you can.

There is a large difference in what different mammals need in their milk, what would keep a calf alive would kill a foal. Even feeding times can be the difference between life and death I'm afraid.

The Real Dave
March 20th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I've no idea what to do with a baby squirrel, but best of luck mate! :D

My girlfriend rescued a tiny kitten once, only a few days old, and took care of it for a few weeks. It ended tragically though, when the kitten (named Hope Pancakes) suffocated in the night :( :(

So best of luck to you mate, and let us know how things go :)

sailthesea
March 20th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Best of luck with the little fella, but if a juvenile squirrel is out of it's nest at that stage there is most likely a good reason.
It could be the runt of an oversize litter or diseased in some way and has probably been rejected. Either way it is unlikely to survive.
Give it the best care you can but accept that you will not likely be able to do much. If it survives you will never be able to make a pet of it, best to let it take its chances in the wild.
Sorry but that is the way of nature:-(

Ric_NYC
March 20th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Don't keep it... It has flees.

whiskeylover
March 20th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Pics!

swoll1980
March 20th, 2010, 03:43 AM
I think the squirrel my have been relocating the babies, and my dog interfered. When I found the squirrel my dog was jumping all around it. I thought it fell out of the tree, but I don't think it would have survived.

swoll1980
March 20th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Pics!

pics will be up soon. had to charge batteries.

Yes
March 20th, 2010, 03:54 AM
I think the squirrel my have been relocating the babies, and my dog interfered. When I found the squirrel my dog was jumping all around it. I thought it fell out of the tree, but I don't think it would have survived.

Small animals can be surprisingly tough. Once I saw two baby robins fall 15 feet out of a tree onto my cement patio. After awhile they got up and just walked away.

swoll1980
March 20th, 2010, 03:56 AM
First one was taken before we brought him in. Didn't want to post until I got better pics because he looked dead. He always crawls to the corner of the box, so it was hard to get decent pics.

MasterNetra
March 20th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Small animals can be surprisingly tough. Once I saw two baby robins fall 15 feet out of a tree onto my cement patio. After awhile they got up and just walked away.

Aye and they would have to be. Of course a lot of the times when a baby bird falls out of a tree in the wild it would end up as food :/

swoll1980
March 20th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Don't keep it... It has flees.

He doesn't have fleas. You know fleas are easy to see when the animal hasn't any fur. Posted the pics they are on last post of last page for anyone that has it set to 10, or 20 post.

whiskeylover
March 20th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Aww.

MasterNetra
March 20th, 2010, 04:18 AM
I suppose you could keep it as a pet. I heard though they tend to scratch up the furnture though, but they are very playful and affectionate ( I think, playful for sure though).

swoll1980
March 20th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Aww.

I know ain't he cute. If he dies I'm going to be so pissed. I wish I would have never meet him.

swoll1980
March 20th, 2010, 04:23 AM
I suppose you could keep it as a pet. I heard though they tend to scratch up the furnture though, but they are very playful and affectionate ( I think, playful for sure though).

I can't have a squirrel running around my house. Hopefully his mom will take him back, and I can pretend he lived a happy, and healthy life.

chillicampari
March 20th, 2010, 04:33 AM
I know ain't he cute. If he dies I'm going to be so pissed. I wish I would have never meet him.

Yep, he is pretty cute!

He might not make it, but I'm glad you're trying. Sending good wishes your way!

Doctor Mike
March 20th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Don't send him to Leamington. Bad place for squirrels...

My sister raised a squirrel. Giving it a small amount of water even if you don't have formula is a good idea.

http://pet-nutrition.suite101.com/article.cfm/feeding_a_baby_squirrel

sudoer541
March 20th, 2010, 04:48 AM
First one was taken before we brought him in. Didn't want to post until I got better pics because he looked dead. He always crawls to the corner of the box, so it was hard to get decent pics.

OMG!!! its so cute!!!:p

swoll1980
March 20th, 2010, 04:52 AM
I can't get my wife to stop holding him. I can't get it through her head that it's not helping him.

jskandhari
March 20th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Luke Warm Milk.. works for every animal... if they are hungry or req. to be fed.. With a small spoon

Doctor Mike
March 20th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Luke Warm Milk.. works for every animal... if they are hungry or req. to be fed.. With a small spoonBad idea. see link above. includes type
and method of feeding.

Presto123
March 20th, 2010, 05:25 AM
I would definitely go by what they say in that guide posted and I know the effects of these "death formulas". Sadly, though, some of the formulas specific to animals can actually KILL them. The kitten formula found in stores can, and has, killed kittens due to one product in it. So, do some research.

RabbitWho
March 20th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Luke Warm Milk.. works for every animal... if they are hungry or req. to be fed.. With a small spoon

WTF? it kills squirrels and it kills birds, and probably loads of stuff I don't know about.

I said it before and I'll say it again. If you're not sure about something please don't guess!

Anyway bumping this, what happened? Did he make it through the night?

madjr
March 20th, 2010, 03:21 PM
OMG attack of the squirrels is back!

the official ubuntu squirrel, this must be faith

take a pic of lilswoll and gimp it inside your avatar yay

swoll1980
March 20th, 2010, 03:22 PM
This guys as tough as they come. He woke up this mourning, and ate some pediolite. We made a little bed for him, and put him back in the wood chips. We are giving mom 2 hours to grab him. Then we're taking him to the wildlife reserve. We already called they said they would be happy to have him.

oldsoundguy
March 20th, 2010, 05:14 PM
This guys as tough as they come. He woke up this mourning, and ate some pediolite. We made a little bed for him, and put him back in the wood chips. We are giving mom 2 hours to grab him. Then we're taking him to the wildlife reserve. We already called they said they would be happy to have him.

By taking the squirrel to the wildlife people, you just increased it's chance of survival exponentially! Best move you could have made.

Gallahhad
March 20th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I saved a baby chipmunk once.
I fed it canned goat's milk using an eyedropper.
The little guy/gal never new(we named it Kirby) was healthy and fun, and eventually took residence in our yard.

GL

iponeverything
March 20th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Many years ago I found and took care of three babies who's mother got smashed on the road in front of the house I was living in.. One died after the first few days, the other two went went from squirming in a shoebox to climbing the walls and running around the house to living outside on there own in the course of about two months. I would leave the kitchen window open for the fist year and one of them would back and eat food off the counter..

sdowney717
March 20th, 2010, 05:46 PM
http://www.mary.cc/squirrels/unreleasable.htm

apparently people do keep them as pets.
that site talks about legal squirrels versus illegal squirrels. Since its so young, it would be interesting to see what would happen. It would likely hang around the house and be friendly to you when grown.

Helping pet squirrels become wild again

Baby squirrels are the sweetest and cutest things you have probably ever seen. They are so gentle, cuddly and adorable as babies. It's basic human instinct to want to care for such a cute little baby. It's also lots of fun to play with them as babies just like it's fun to play with puppies and kittens. The only problem is when these babies get older, they are not as tame as dogs and cats which have been bred for tameness for centuries. These babies are wild animals with wild instincts. They have been bred to be wild, the opposite of tame, for their own survival.

When squirrels are only six weeks old, it's cute when they climb up your pant leg, sit on your shoulder, wrestle with your hand, try to nibble on your ear lobe. When they are six months old it's a completely different story. Their gentle nibbles turn to painful bites when their teeth are fully grown. When they climb up your pant leg they can leave you bleeding with their now long and sharp claws. They are very smart and need a lot of attention. If you don't give them what they want, they will bite and scratch you because they had no mom to teach them manners. When they become sexually mature they can become even more aggressive, possessive and jealous. They will attack everyone except the main caregiver or maybe even just everyone. This is the time when people generally send them packing by throwing them out the back door. They've had their fun with the cute baby but do not like the wild adult they have become. This is a sure death sentence for them. They will also instantly become a menace to yourself and your neighbors when they get mad and try to physically demand attention. An unsuspecting person will try to kill a squirrel that jumps on him and bites him.

http://www.mary.cc/squirrels/tametowild.htm

RabbitWho
March 20th, 2010, 06:42 PM

Awesome!

I'm so relieved. Do keep us updated!

swoll1980
March 20th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Lucky is with the wild life reserve now. #306, or lucky for short. The vet checked him out, and said he was a little weezy, but they'll give him some antibiotics, and he'll be fine. He's a very healthy, and happy little squirrel they said. We can call to check up on him, or go see him if we wish, no contact allowed though.

chillicampari
March 21st, 2010, 12:09 AM
Yay!!!

Berk
March 21st, 2010, 12:14 AM
Excellent news, and well done on doing the right things. :D

WannabeFantasma
March 21st, 2010, 12:19 AM
AW!

What if the Squirrel is healthy and a bit older? Will they place it back close to your house? Or somewhere else? :o

Would be cool if you could see him running around in your garden etc...

When I bike to school I sometimes see squirrels too, they're sooo cool :D

Anyway, good job!

oldsoundguy
March 21st, 2010, 01:02 AM
Squirrels are most likely the smartest of the rodents. They LEARN behavior and teach and pass it on to their progeny.

I have to have steel bird feeders that seal automatically to keep the squirrels out of the bird food.
Eat the stuff from your OWN feeders and leave the birds alone, Rocky! LOL

chris4585
March 21st, 2010, 04:11 AM
A domesticated squirrel was on my back today, it was neat.

koleoptero
March 21st, 2010, 05:17 AM
Well done swoll, you handled the whole thing great as I see it :)

RabbitWho
March 21st, 2010, 10:54 AM
Lucky is with the wild life reserve now. #306, or lucky for short. The vet checked him out, and said he was a little weezy, but they'll give him some antibiotics, and he'll be fine. He's a very healthy, and happy little squirrel they said. We can call to check up on him, or go see him if we wish, no contact allowed though.

Yay! :) I'm really relieved and happy. I might actually be capable of seeing the pictures of him without feeling upset now.

You saved a life!

And like someone said you handled the whole thing very well and conscientiously.
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=150694&d=1269053639
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :)

issih
March 21st, 2010, 11:59 AM
I second everything Rabbitwho said above....particularly the awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

chucky chuckaluck
March 21st, 2010, 01:59 PM
when they take over the world, we'll shave your head and tattoo the word "collaborator" on your skin.

sdowney717
March 21st, 2010, 02:07 PM
I like squirrels but I have seen them panic like crazy when a car comes down the road. They run back and forth not knowing which way to go and then the end comes.
We have these large winged turkey vultures that then come down to the road for a meal.

I suppose they have to eat too.

rottentree
March 21st, 2010, 03:02 PM
Squirrels are most likely the smartest of the rodents

Only surpassed by chinchillas of course.

swoll1980
March 21st, 2010, 03:16 PM
Only surpassed by chinchillas of course.

Beavers are pretty smart too.

RabbitWho
March 21st, 2010, 03:44 PM
Chinchillas are too sensitive, they can die from stress, even if you swap them from one room to another. I couldn't handle the responsibility, I like cats because they do their own thing and you don't have to worry about them, they're more like friends or teenagers than pets, they stop by and mooch off you every now and then and hangout and cuddle but you don't have to worry about them. Having other pets is like having kids.

This whole thread gave me a dream last night which was some kind of mix of the Beatles song "martha my dear" and when I used to work in a Vets and the dogs who i miss from there and my kitten that died (who was mixed with your squirrel). Overall it was a good dream because I got to see the dogs again and they remembered me and cuddled me.

Animals rule!

rottentree
March 21st, 2010, 04:02 PM
Beavers are pretty smart too.

Yeah although I haven't dealt with beavers I admire their terraforming capabilities.

Chinchillas are too sensitive, they can die from stress, even if you swap them from one room to another.

I don't know my chinchillas seem to be quite sturdy one of them even attacked our cat with a kamikaze head-to-head jump because she got annoyed by the cat chasing her and she even survived an electric shock (before the unplug everything approach was used) though she lost a finger :|

RabbitWho
March 21st, 2010, 04:08 PM
Yeah although I haven't dealt with beavers I admire their terraforming capabilities.

I don't know my chinchillas seem to be quite sturdy one of them even attacked our cat with a kamikaze head-to-head jump because she got annoyed by the cat chasing her and she even survived an electric shock (before the unplug everything approach was used) though she lost a finger :|

You must take really good care of her :) She's probably very secure and not stressed. My aunts one died because of a slight temperature change, but she went through all kinds of stress, was originally belonging to someone else who emigrated and had to leave her behind, so went into a house where there wasn't really room for her and no one was sure what to do, though everyone did their best. Also the only place for her was a hall where people were coming in and out and walking past all day. I think she was getting old anyway, who knows?

rottentree
March 21st, 2010, 05:07 PM
You must take really good care of her :) She's probably very secure and not stressed. My aunts one died because of a slight temperature change, but she went through all kinds of stress, was originally belonging to someone else who emigrated and had to leave her behind, so went into a house where there wasn't really room for her and no one was sure what to do, though everyone did their best. Also the only place for her was a hall where people were coming in and out and walking past all day. I think she was getting old anyway, who knows?

Well I let them out daily for 1 hour because they get bored sitting in the cage. They are also social animals so it helps that I have two of them so they have company.
I heard that chinchillas are sensitive to hotter temperature but I haven't experienced that. I don't know but chinchillas live for 10 to 20 years.

me?
March 21st, 2010, 05:59 PM
you cant keep it. it is against the law to keep wild animals. call the humane society. they will know what to do. same happened to me. kept for a day but it died.