samjh
March 20th, 2010, 12:31 AM
You need to dig a little:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/10.04/beta-1/

Psumi
March 20th, 2010, 12:49 AM
You need to dig a little:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/10.04/beta-1/

Screenshot of beta-1? if not, any new theme/logo/etc. information?

Will they be using slim instead of GDM finally?

gsmanners
March 20th, 2010, 01:40 AM
I think this time around, I'm going to remastersys my own Franken-buntu. As for Xfce, they did lose one developer a couple months ago, so that's why there's no 4.8 just yet.

http://gezeiten.org/post/2010/01/Xfce-4.8-Schedule-Changes

koleoptero
March 20th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Truly the announcements about 9.10 had me all worked up to install xubuntu back then. Now they haven't even said what's going to change or stay the same or anything. It feels like they'll either surprize us all with an amazing release, or they will just change the wallpaper and update the programs. :lolflag:

juancarlospaco
March 20th, 2010, 05:53 AM
LXDE is the way to go...

samjh
March 20th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Truly the announcements about 9.10 had me all worked up to install xubuntu back then. Now they haven't even said what's going to change or stay the same or anything. It feels like they'll either surprize us all with an amazing release, or they will just change the wallpaper and update the programs. :lolflag:

There actually isn't a great deal they can do. Xfce is still stuck in version 4.6, and will be for the foreseeable future. So the only major changes will be what is already implemented in standard Ubuntu 10.04, and perhaps a change in application software (eg. Exaile as default music player).

koleoptero
March 20th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Well changes weren't that dramatic in xfce for the last version of xubuntu either, but they did manage to post some news for some changes that they meant to do (eg exaile as you said).

XubuRoxMySox
March 20th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Ubuntu is not the Center of the Universe or something that every desktop environment should make mention of or direct people to.

It's just one distro out of hundreds that Xfce is available on.

Tire manufacturers don't ordinarily mention one specific make or model of car they fit on. It's usually the other way around. Same analogy fits here.

koleoptero
March 20th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Ubuntu is not the Center of the Universe or something that every desktop environment should make mention of or direct people to.

It's just one distro out of hundreds that Xfce is available on.

Tire manufacturers don't ordinarily mention one specific make or model of car they fit on. It's usually the other way around. Same analogy fits here.

What?

imag1narynumber
March 20th, 2010, 03:45 PM
LXDE is the way to go...

I'll agree once you can remove the desktop icons.

Psumi
March 20th, 2010, 03:49 PM
What?

*sigh*

XubuRoxMySox
March 20th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I'll agree once you can remove the desktop icons.

Open PCManFM go to Preferences and untick the "let PCManFM manage the desktop" box. You can then put icons in the panel and leave the desktop free and uncluttered.

-Robin

XubuRoxMySox
March 20th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Sorry... I was replying to the idea that Xfce is "part of Ubuntu" or that Xfce "should mention Ubuntu" on their web site. Perhaps I misread the post I was replying to. It reminded me of the old "Linux = Ubuntu" stuff, as if the two are one and the same. Sorry if I reacted to something that wasn't there.

-R

gsmanners
March 20th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Yeah, LXDE isn't quite there all right. ;)

Seriously, what's up with LXDE evangelists? Or do some people just enjoy promoting half-functional alpha-quality software? Most of us already know about LXDE, thank you.

juancarlospaco
March 20th, 2010, 08:08 PM
I like IceWM anyways... :)

XubuRoxMySox
March 20th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Seriously, what's up with LXDE evangelists?

I was kinda sorta the same way, even when LXDE was alot buggier than it is now! I was a fanboy because:

LXDE is super-simple, graphical, very newbie friendly, Win-98ish.

LXDE was and still is the lightest of the lightweight desktop environments. Almost like having no desktop environment at all.

LXDE, then as now, is making huge strides in it's development. I agree that it is not there yet, but it sure bears watching. It's improving so much and so quickly that I anticipate an awesomeness nearly equal to Xfce, but even less demanding on resources.

I'm not using it at all anymore, but I will revisit LXDE regularly because of it's rapid development. It's ideal for use with Debian on very old hardware. Even my buggy homemade remix (minimal Ubuntu/LXDE) was quicker and simpler than Win-98 was when that old dinosaur was brand new.

Robin

samjh
March 21st, 2010, 12:51 AM
Sorry... I was replying to the idea that Xfce is "part of Ubuntu" or that Xfce "should mention Ubuntu" on their web site. Perhaps I misread the post I was replying to. It reminded me of the old "Linux = Ubuntu" stuff, as if the two are one and the same. Sorry if I reacted to something that wasn't there.

-R

I think you mis-read. The OP was just pointing out that the Xubuntu website makes no mention of Lucid beta 1. Then the tread shot off into a tangent about Xfce's 4.8 development being delayed by developer loss, but that's OT.

MooPi
March 21st, 2010, 12:57 AM
I'm happy that LXDE is gathering attention because the developer of pcmanfm is on that team and is working hard on new improvements to the file manager. Personally I prefer constructing my own lightweight systems versus bundled packages.

XubuRoxMySox
March 21st, 2010, 01:16 AM
I think you mis-read. The OP was just pointing out that the Xubuntu website makes no mention of Lucid beta 1. Then the tread shot off into a tangent about Xfce's 4.8 development being delayed by developer loss, but that's OT.

Omygoodness, I sure did misread it! I apologize for running down that little rabbit trail.

Back on topic: I'm being especially brave (or especially foolish) and testing the new Alpha release of Crunchbang 10 ("Statler" - CB is named after Muppets!). It has an Xfce-4 version now! It doesn't behave very much like Xfce though. In fact it's only distinguishable from Openbox by the icons that appear in the right-click menu. It's wicked fast, stark, minimal, beautiful, and Debian-powered now. What a ride! At idle, the new Xfce version uses less RAM than its Openbox counterpart! And with Iceweasel (unbranded Firefox) open, it still uses less in Xfce than in Openbox. Dunno how they did it, but Oh. My. Gosh!

Thrill-riding an Alpha1,
Robin

imag1narynumber
April 1st, 2010, 02:02 AM
Open PCManFM go to Preferences and untick the "let PCManFM manage the desktop" box. You can then put icons in the panel and leave the desktop free and uncluttered.

-Robin

Thanks for your help!