PDA

View Full Version : Vacation gobbledygook?

t0p
March 19th, 2010, 11:19 PM
For the past 3 days I've been getting email like the attached text file.

I don't know the sender Joshua Wilko. But data in the message headers shows that the email has something to do with Freecycle, of which I am a member.

The subject: of the mail says "Vacation reply"; but I'm sure I haven't sent him an email, so why would I get a reply? And why a reply filled with seeming complete gobbledygook? Is there method to this madness?

Post Monkeh
March 19th, 2010, 11:27 PM
i used to get spam email all the time.
not so much nw with googlemail though

t0p
March 20th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Of course it is spam, in that it was unsolicited. But most spam nowadays advertises dubious products like prescription drugs or ***** enlargement; or some African (ex) minister wants to put millions of dollars into my bank account; or there's a naughty link, clicking which would pwn a Windows XP machine and add it to a botnet. In short: most spam has a point - it wants you to do something.

But this piece of spam doesn't seem to do anything. There's no ad, no plea for help, no naughty link. It appears to be just a block of "random" text.

Anyone know what this is all about?

NightwishFan
March 20th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Is the email's text content the random characters? That looks like some kind of GPG key. If you do not know the sender, you can safely ignore it.

hansdown
March 20th, 2010, 02:46 AM
I see it comes from a hotmail account, which was good, until microsoft bought it.

Since then, the problems have been diverse.

http://www.google.ca/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=hotmail+spam&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

t0p
March 22nd, 2010, 11:05 PM
Thanks for all responses. I assume Mr Wilko has returned from vacation, as the emails have stopped. So I've marked the thread as 'SOLVED', even though nothing actually has been solved.

I might email Mr Wilko, just to see if he can explain what was up. Curiosity killed the cat, but I'm more of a razor-backed were-pig.