PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help! Root password for software installation? Superuser?

beet133
March 19th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Hi: I've recently had Ubuntu installed onto my Acer laptop after everything went haywire with it (a long story, which I won't bore you with). I've used ubuntu for about a year now, and never had this problem before:

I can install programs through the terminal, using sudo apt-get and my user password, but when I try to install anything through the Software Centre I get a message (see attached screenshot) asking for the root password for the 'superuser'. Now, I don't remember setting such a password, and if I did, I will have used on of my regular passwords (none of which work here). What's going on, and how can I solve the problem?

Thanks!

oldos2er
March 19th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Does it work if you type in your user password?

Chesamo
March 19th, 2010, 09:41 PM
That's very odd, considering Ubuntu disables root by default (and instructions to enable it are against the rules of this forum). I'm with oldos, have you tried your own password?

sisco311
March 19th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Hi: I've recently had Ubuntu installed onto my Acer laptop after everything went haywire with it (a long story, which I won't bore you with). I've used ubuntu for about a year now, and never had this problem before:

I can install programs through the terminal, using sudo apt-get and my user password, but when I try to install anything through the Software Centre I get a message (see attached screenshot) asking for the root password for the 'superuser'. Now, I don't remember setting such a password, and if I did, I will have used on of my regular passwords (none of which work here). What's going on, and how can I solve the problem?

Thanks!

don't reboot or log out. add your user to the admin group:

sudo gpasswd -a username admin
replace username with your login name.

If you did reboot or log out, then boot in recovery mode and add your user to the admin group: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo

If the above suggestions did not work then please post the output of:

cat /etc/polkit-1/localauthority*/*
and
id

beet133
March 22nd, 2010, 12:10 AM
@ sisko311:

Thank you, the first of those suggestions worked!

beet133

beet133
March 22nd, 2010, 12:11 AM
Sorry, sisco311...