PDA

View Full Version : linux is ready

geogur
March 19th, 2010, 06:00 PM
O

Psumi
March 19th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I am sick and tired of post`s stating linux is not ready for the general public ! this morning I downloaded blender witch installed just fine , all i did was point and click . years ago this was not possible , blender is a complex program , my point is linux is ready for all to use and enjoy . I am not a learned user i am self taught and learn as i go (50yrs old) i used a slide rule in school , we did not have calculators for math class . Pc`s came much after i left school to work as a tool and die maker . I have been using linux and only linux since 1997 . I have seen the changes and they have been advancing Linux from a hackers os to something even can use . So for those who think Linux is not ready for the general public you are sadly mistaken . LINUX IS READY

Don't preach, mention.

J_Stanton
March 19th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Don't preach, mention.

recurring in 3, 2, 1,.....

MasterNetra
March 19th, 2010, 06:11 PM
recurring in 3, 2, 1,.....

*Error Data corrupt* :p

cespinal
March 19th, 2010, 06:14 PM
From my personal experience: In my household, all of us are using linux, even friends around are experimenting with it, when two years ago I was the nerdy guy just liked to screw up with his laptop :P

azagaros
March 19th, 2010, 06:16 PM
You assume a lot.. I have been around many OS's for a long time. Linux itself maybe ready but it still has a long way to go.

As for KDE/Gnome/Xwindows they require some of what is in the companies that only support in Windows, the more profitable side.

To me Linux and its distributions need to learn something about how easy windows is to manage hardware. The one trick I find the biggest headache of Linux especially stuff I can readily buy off the shelf. Certain trend in hardware are helping but still haven't embraced the open source world. You know the stuff about intellectual rights.

I don't find linux ready for general public unless it is on supported hardware the user doesn't expect to much from.

I find you an too obsessed with your assumption.

nubimax
March 19th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I am the general public, and I have had less problems with ubuntu then any operating system that I have ever used. and the best part is that it has all been free.
M.

Tibuda
March 19th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Ready for what? People have different needs, and there's no such a thing as "one size fits all".

Naggobot
March 19th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I agree that linux is quite ready for everyones use. I moved to Ubuntu about a year ago. I first checked from net that what is the cheapest laptop that is available and that someone has reportedly run linux successfully with.

Frankly I was suprised with the end result. Cheapest laptop I came up with was 399€ (not mini, hp550) with 1 Gb memory and there is nothing I have not been able to do with it including an A1 poster of pictures with about 65 pcs of 5-10Mpix photos on it.

Ok I admit that I had to be quite patient when working and due to visual constraints I did reduce the amount of images to about 30.

I do not expect for a second that I could have done it with Windows and I certainly would not have tried. Best part is that there has been no complaints from the family, even our preschool kids surf in the net with Firefox.

Of course one has to think about the need for which you use your home computer. I surf on the net, manage photos and sometimes tinker with them, send and receive mail and use instant messaging and watch DVD:s. Now for all of these except the DVD stuff you get a ready made bundle which is really well customizable and DVD stuff is pretty much one click install for those of us who live outside of the software patent universe. If you need to use some professional commercial 3D modelling software which is not available for linux then you probably need to buy Windows but practically for every home / study use I would say that linux is now preferred alternative. And I need to point out that if you can spend 5000+ $/€£ on software then the cost or performance is not an issue and you probably have someone hired to support your system.

All in all you in my opinion you get better performance/money value and infinitely better quality/cost ratio with linux.

Post Monkeh
March 19th, 2010, 08:03 PM
linux is ready for you

doas777
March 19th, 2010, 08:07 PM
why are we trolling someone who expresses a liking for ubuntu/linux on an ubuntu/linux forum? this is not community, this is embarrassing.

I understand the desire to reduce linux zealotry, but this kind of treatment kills community uptake.

noob:"Hey I really like your product!"
old:"your wrong!"
noob:"O. well later, jerks"

_h_
March 19th, 2010, 08:09 PM
why are we trolling someone who expresses a liking for ubuntu/linux on an ubuntu/linux forum? this is not community, this is embarrassing.

Welcome to the internet, apparently, sad as it is. :(

Post Monkeh
March 19th, 2010, 08:17 PM

I understand the desire to reduce linux zealotry, but this kind of treatment kills community uptake.

in fairness his post was more than just a "linux is great" post.
it's natural for people to think a new product is great, and no one should be getting any hassle for saying "well it's great because it lets me do this this this and this"

the OP was trying to say that everyone who has ever raised legitimate points about linux's weaknesses is wrong, just because everything worked FOR HIM.

doas777
March 19th, 2010, 08:20 PM
in fairness his post was more than just a "linux is great" post.
it's natural for people to think a new product is great, and no one should be getting any hassle for saying "well it's great because it lets me do this this this and this"

the OP was trying to say that everyone who has ever raised legitimate points about linux's weaknesses is wrong, just because everything worked FOR HIM.
better than the converse that I see here everyday

GeoPrude
March 19th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I am sick and tired of post`s stating linux is not ready for the general public ! this morning I downloaded blender witch installed just fine , all i did was point and click . years ago this was not possible , blender is a complex program , my point is linux is ready for all to use and enjoy . I am not a learned user i am self taught and learn as i go (50yrs old) i used a slide rule in school , we did not have calculators for math class . Pc`s came much after i left school to work as a tool and die maker . I have been using linux and only linux since 1997 . I have seen the changes and they have been advancing Linux from a hackers os to something even can use . So for those who think Linux is not ready for the general public you are sadly mistaken . LINUX IS READY

ATI is still a large part of why I won't recommend Linux.

CharlesA
March 19th, 2010, 08:23 PM
That's the, "Works for Me(tm)" Philosophy.

Just because it works for someone, doesn't mean that it is what everyone needs to use.

BrokenKingpin
March 19th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I really do think Ubuntu is ready for the general population. I am not saying it will be issue free for everyone, but you won't get that on any OS.

That being said, I really don't try and convert people to it, mainly because if something doesn't work for them, they expect you to fix it.

Psumi
March 19th, 2010, 08:33 PM
That being said, I really don't try and convert people to it, mainly because if something doesn't work for them, they expect you to fix it.

I see someone FINALLY said it. :|

CharlesA
March 19th, 2010, 08:37 PM

This. Gotta love being a computer "geek."

Post Monkeh
March 19th, 2010, 08:44 PM
better than the converse that I see here everyday

no it isn't.

someone being honest in their assesment of linux's capability to be a suitable OS for everyone might put people off using linux, but more likely it'll just make the people who DO want to try linux go in with the attitude that things may go wrong, but in most cases help is available to fix it.

someone saying linux is great and everyone should use it might get a few people to use it. but then they'll think it's the best thing EVER due to the intro it's been given, and they'll be sorely disappointed when something goes wrong in this infallible piece of software they've had recommended to them

doas777
March 19th, 2010, 08:44 PM
ok, so what is the tradeoff? the guy came here to find some comradery, and talk about somthing he likes, but then gets made to eat his words and run off? how is that helping anything? will he ever come back? I certianly wouldn't after receiving this kind of treatment.

I understand your position, and i agree to an extent; that is why I don't try to get my folks on linux, but at the same time, I say to you, "Mention (that they are being a little overboard), don't Preach".

I'm seeing a large decline in the quality and cohesiveness of the community here over the last year, and I think it started when the whole "it's just a tool" philosophy became popular, and threads like this are a perfect example.

doas777
March 19th, 2010, 08:47 PM
no it isn't.

someone being honest in their assesment of linux's capability to be a suitable OS for everyone might put people off using linux, but more likely it'll just make the people who DO want to try linux go in with the attitude that things may go wrong, but in most cases help is available to fix it.

someone saying linux is great and everyone should use it might get a few people to use it. but then they'll think it's the best thing EVER due to the intro it's been given, and they'll be sorely disappointed when something goes wrong in this infallible piece of software they've had recommended to them

the converse i am referring to is the folks saying that ubuntu is not ready, and threatening to go back to windows if we don't support them, how they want, right now. the posters that are informed don't fall into either the catagory you or I mentioned.

lyceum
March 19th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I first really started using FOSS full time with Ubuntu 6.06, and I though "Linux is ready!" Now I know better - no OS is really ever "ready" they are just marketed. Windows Vista was not ready, I doubt 7 is either. Mac OS X(#) wasn't "ready" but they all were marketed. FOSS is not. That is the difference. That is the ONLY difference IMHO.

Psumi
March 19th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I first really started using FOSS full time with Ubuntu 6.06, and I though "Linux is ready!" Now I know better - no OS is really ever "ready" they are just marketed. Windows Vista was not ready, I doubt 7 is either. Mac OS X(#) wasn't "ready" but they all were marketed. FOSS is not. That is the difference. That is the ONLY difference IMHO.

That's because nothing is ever complete and nothing can achieve perfection.

Post Monkeh
March 19th, 2010, 09:01 PM
the converse i am referring to is the folks saying that ubuntu is not ready, and threatening to go back to windows if we don't support them, how they want, right now. the posters that are informed don't fall into either the catagory you or I mentioned.

people trying to convince everyone that linux is going to find the cure for cancer is half the trouble.

people should be trying linux out in an informed way. they should be told that there are problems with hardware. they should be told that software installation is TOTALLY different from windows, and sometimes requires you to compile from source. they should be told that sometimes they're going to have to use a command line to get things done.

if they aren't told that, and they're just told "yeah, linux is great, it's totally ready for everyday use. it's way better than windows, it's so much easier to use" then it's not really a surprise if, when they find out that that isn't quite true for EVERYONE, they lose the plot and want to go back to the safety of windows.

over promotion (or hype if you like) is often the single most important factor when people decide that something is rubbish.

phrostbyte
March 19th, 2010, 09:04 PM

So true. :)

But you ever thought that that's perhaps the goal of many people here? Not everyone who posts here want's Ubuntu to succeed.

Psumi
March 19th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Not everyone who posts here want's Ubuntu to succeed.

This.

mickie.kext
March 19th, 2010, 09:17 PM

But you ever thought that that's perhaps the goal of many people here? Not everyone who posts here want's Ubuntu to succeed.
Quoted for truth.

Oh, in b4 someone says we are all seeing things.

doas777
March 19th, 2010, 09:18 PM

I've been getting a little afraid to mention exactly that phenomona. at first I thought the mods would take care of it, but it seems that a certain chief mod is siding with a certain nameless cadre more and more lately.

doas777
March 19th, 2010, 09:20 PM
people trying to convince everyone that linux is going to find the cure for cancer is half the trouble.

people should be trying linux out in an informed way. they should be told that there are problems with hardware. they should be told that software installation is TOTALLY different from windows, and sometimes requires you to compile from source. they should be told that sometimes they're going to have to use a command line to get things done.

if they aren't told that, and they're just told "yeah, linux is great, it's totally ready for everyday use. it's way better than windows, it's so much easier to use" then it's not really a surprise if, when they find out that that isn't quite true for EVERYONE, they lose the plot and want to go back to the safety of windows.

over promotion (or hype if you like) is often the single most important factor when people decide that something is rubbish.

you make some great points, and 2 years ago, I would have said that that attitude is somthing that we needed here in greater quantity, but since, the scale has tipped in the other direction, and I think we need to balance it back out, and let people know that it is ok to actually like ubuntu. I think we are both right, but that a careful balance need be maintained.

Post Monkeh
March 19th, 2010, 09:34 PM
you make some great points, and 2 years ago, I would have said that that attitude is somthing that we needed here in greater quantity, but since, the scale has tipped in the other direction, and I think we need to balance it back out, and let people know that it is ok to actually like ubuntu. I think we are both right, but that a careful balance need be maintained.

i think linux is great, and i would encourage anyone with a bit of sense to try it, but i would always let them know that there can sometimes be problems, and that it is far from perfect, and that it's different to windows. i would never tell anyone it's perfect for them, but for ME personally i prefer it to windows in most respects, and i'd let anyone know that who asked me.

i agree too that sometimes genuine posts about what is GOOD about linux sometimes get bogged down by people pointlessly replying about everything that's bad, but what the OP did here was basically dismiss all the valid and genuine points that other people have made.
and i have no problem with people posting incorrect information being pulled up on it, that's important because information posted here can be taken as fact by a lot of people unless it's countered by an argument.

doas777
March 19th, 2010, 09:41 PM
i have no problem with people posting incorrect information being pulled up on it, that's important because information posted here can be taken as fact by a lot of people unless it's countered by an argument.

I'd agree with that statement if the ops post wasn't so obiviously an oppinion and a testimonial. it's good to correct "hey just run sudo rM -rf /", but not someone's thoughts. would you react the same way if it was in the "reviews and testimonials" subforum?

Post Monkeh
March 19th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I'd agree with that statement if the ops post wasn't so obiviously an oppinion and a testimonial. it's good to correct "hey just run sudo rM -rf /", but not someone's thoughts. would you react the same way if it was in the "reviews and testimonials" subforum?

i didn't react any way except by posting an opinion that just because linux is ready for him doesn't mean it's ready for everyone - which is blatantly right otherwise everyone would be using it.

bolded the important bits there. if you're going to express a strong view or opinion, you have to be ready to defend that position. since this was basically a call out to anyone who thinks linux isn't ready, i'm surprised there wasn't a bit more of an argument put up.

doas777
March 19th, 2010, 11:53 PM
why do you think he needs to defend his thoughts? not to mention how could you argue that he is not "sick and tired" of whatever he says he is? op probably went a bit overboard with his challenge, but not moreso than those that proclaim to the sky that ubuntu isn't fit for dogs. at least he is in the right forum to be saying it in (though it should have been in testimonials).

now you say overhype is the major killer for any trend, and perhaps that is true, but it only happens after you are big enough to be iconic/monolithic (eg msft). now if someone were to read this thread, which is the greater danger; that they see the first post, and think it's overhyped, or that they see that ubuntu's own community (n00bs always think the forums are more official than we both know that they are) won't even support it?

you have a point about expressing your own opinion, and that is your right, but is this really a topic that needs intense debate? you either think that it is or that it isn't, and all the criteria are subjective.

Post Monkeh
March 20th, 2010, 12:05 AM
why do you think he needs to defend his thoughts? not to mention how could you argue that he is not "sick and tired" of whatever he says he is? op probably went a bit overboard with his challenge, but not moreso than those that proclaim to the sky that ubuntu isn't fit for dogs. at least he is in the right forum to be saying it in (though it should have been in testimonials).

now you say overhype is the major killer for any trend, and perhaps that is true, but it only happens after you are big enough to be iconic/monolithic (eg msft). now if someone were to read this thread, which is the greater danger; that they see the first post, and think it's overhyped, or that they see that ubuntu's own community (n00bs always think the forums are more official than we both know that they are) won't even support it?

i'll give an example. avatar.

all i'd heard was how great it was, unmissable.
now it wasn't a bad movie, in fact it was really good, but i couldn't help feeling just a little bit let down when i left because i felt all the hype had just been about the 3d.
if i hadn't read so much about how great it was, i would have left far happier, because my expectations would have been realistic.

maybe you're right about people reading the forums, but then you can't create an off topic area like this, or a testimonials area, and expect EVERYONE to say that everything is hunky dory. i'd place a fair wager that if a similar microsoft forum existed you'd get more people complaining about windows than you get complaining here about linux.

i think this forum is pretty mature in its outlook to that particular aspect. threads and posts pointing out the weaknesses of linux are accepted and allowed, personally speaking if the forum was full of "omg linux is perfect for everyone" posts and NO arguments against attitudes like that were allowed then i'd have given up on the forum very quickly. healthy debate is good, and i can't say i notice a disproportionate amount of anti-ubuntu threads.

doas777
March 20th, 2010, 12:54 AM
i think this forum is pretty mature in its outlook to that particular aspect. threads and posts pointing out the weaknesses of linux are accepted and allowed, personally speaking if the forum was full of "omg linux is perfect for everyone" posts and NO arguments against attitudes like that were allowed then i'd have given up on the forum very quickly. healthy debate is good, and i can't say i notice a disproportionate amount of anti-ubuntu threads.

I'm with you there, for the most part. we need some balance, and yeah, obviously folks are going to have issues, hence their visit to a support forum. I am also a fan of a healthy debate, though I try to stick to slightly more concrete subjects. just fyi, it wasn't your post specifically that I am not keen on; it was a fair statement taken by itself. what I am displeased about is the way the op got jumped on.

i am starting to see it from the perspective of an older guy watching the kids play on the lawn. true n00bs are just enthusiastic kids. its right to point them in the right direction when them make a social gaffe, but it;s not kewl to dropkick them. they usually grow out of it, a few weeks after installing ubuntu for their mom. lesson learned.
I've seen that same progression with new students in every branch of IT. they think they are all bad on XP, but don't have enough of a clue to even see an 8th of what computing really is. i like to see the moment when they realize the enormity of the realities that make modern computing possible. its then that they show their mettle.

ps: avatar was alright, but yeah, it was overhyped. my mom saw it before i did.

Shpongle
March 20th, 2010, 02:53 AM
To all you saying hardware detection this and that , ubuntu works with more stuff out of the box than any thing else I have ever tried and its getting better with every release. my case might not apply to you but that doesnt mean your case is gonna apply to everyone else. I can work straight away on a fresh install , in windows i need drivers winrar word textpad etc

And if someone is enthusiastic about something , good for them for some its just an os , for others its a core philosophy and a culture. Fair enough everyone is entitled to their opinion , but dont force it on others! . dont just say mention dont preach . explain why you are saying it the user. On that note so what if someone preaches. chances are the person will get someone to like it chances are they wont , but who cares the choice is still left up to the person at the end of the day regardless of what way they were introduced to the os.

Why bother moaning about something , just dont use it and move on . simple as , as most of you say its just an os, yea so stop whining about it and let people enjoy it for themselves and form their own opinions and theyll soon come round , dont make their community experience a dull one, to people who dont want it to succeed and hang around here how sad. Grow up , open a window . . there's life beyond a keyboard
your missing the bigger picture .

/end rant

peace

lyceum
March 22nd, 2010, 03:11 PM
That's because nothing is ever complete and nothing can achieve perfection.

Exactly ;)

seth elohim
March 22nd, 2010, 06:56 PM
Just kicked back and read the whole thread. I have to kinda agree with most of what doas777 had to say. I find it hard to believe that a little over enthusiasm from the OP to be nearly as big of a problem as the "lets all contradict the new guy" mentality that seems to infest every forum on the net once it's been around awhile. Yes, any point can debated ad nauseam, but why??? I for one, DO believe Linux is ready for the masses, even with its warts, but that isn't the important thing here. I think the most important thing is for ppl to feel they have a sense of community here. Now I haven't been here long, so it can be argued that I don't know what I am talking about, but I wouldn't be here at ALL if when I first posted I got the same tired old cynical responses that are on the web everywhere else. (for some reason 4chan comes to mind). And anyway, why does everything have to be debated in the first place? This is the community cafe, isnt it mostly just for relaxing banter?

5dolla
March 22nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Well having used linux since the mid-late 90s, I can honestly say that todays
linux is top notch. Its is ready imo to be distributed to masses. Why do I think this way?
long ago when I started using linux very few peices of hardware worked with linux. it
was sort ok like when you bought a IBM. If somthing didnt work you WAITED for IBM
to fix it. Same thing with linux back in the day. Now days linux for the most part works
out of the box. Sure some hardware wont work but we all have our windows stories...
Also backin the day only a few program alternatives existed on linux. Today you would be
hard pressed to find a windows app with out a linux counter app. I cant say the same for windows. one big problem back in the day was plug and play peripherals. This was a night-mare of early linux users. this is not true anymore! I frequently use a microsoft
xbox controller,web cam, printer, and usb reader. Another thing is the terminal. This is
where the core of fear for new linux users arises. I can say even a long time user as of
late i have had very few reasons to use the terminal for my day to day use. The only downfall too linux I can see is commercial gamming. Apple has the same problem. so why not attack apple instead of linux? apple is trendy and people dont wanna flame what they just spent 2k for .

So is Ubuntu and linux ready ? YES

Nick_Jinn
March 23rd, 2010, 11:42 AM
Ready for what? People have different needs, and there's no such a thing as "one size fits all".

This guy pretty much said it all. He is the Lao Tzu of this thread.

Nick_Jinn
March 23rd, 2010, 11:45 AM
The OP sounds like he has a chip on his shoulder, like he has something to prove. I feel that is the wrong approach. I would suggest being more concerned about what works for you and less concerned with convincing hecklers or people with different understandings or different needs.

dyingsun
March 23rd, 2010, 12:00 PM
Linux is ready. But ready for what? I use it, my kids use it, my technologically-impaired Missus uses it, it works fine for us. It was ready for us. Might not be ready for the guys doing .NET apps or needing to create Flash sites, though.

I personally think a better way to express it would be to say that Linux is now a serious competitor, and a viable alternative for the day to day end user.