PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] Minimal install of xfce

Clivest
March 19th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Hi

I've just done a minimal install of ubuntu using the Karmic Minimal CD Image and would like to use xfce4.

What packages are needed? I would rather not install any unnecessary stuff because it is a slow computer anyway. Is it possible just to use the xfce4 package rather than the full xubuntu-desktop package?

Oh and: would you recommend gdm or wdm as a window manager?

Thanks

Clive

nothingspecial
March 19th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Hi

I've just done a minimal install of ubuntu using the Karmic Minimal CD Image and would like to use xfce4.

What packages are needed? I would rather not install any unnecessary stuff because it is a slow computer anyway. Is it possible just to use the xfce4 package rather than the full xubuntu-desktop package?

Oh and: would you recommend gdm or wdm as a window manager?

Thanks

Clive

If you install xubuntu-desktop you may as well have installed xubuntu.

Yes just install xfce4, it will pull in a few dependencies including thunar but no way near as much a xubuntu-desktop.

If you want something even faster than xfce try openbox.

cascade9
March 19th, 2010, 05:53 PM
You will need (AFAIK) xorg as well. GDM/XDM/WDM is optional (startx from the command will start the desktop). Personally I prefer XDM. You could install xfce-goodies as well, but I wouldnt, its probably easier to just install stuff as you need it (I dont install xfce4-goodies myself)

The most I would reccomend is-

sudo apt-get install xorg xdm xfce4 xfce4-goodies

Clivest
March 19th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks.

I've just done xorg and xfce4 for the moment. It's running pretty fast :D. I might add xdm, or try openbox or fluxbox tomorrow.

nothingspecial
March 20th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Cool, openbox takes a bit of configuring but once you have it`s smooth as a sausage.

Harry James
March 20th, 2010, 06:45 AM
I don't know how to do it on the main menu, but i know how to make a link.
Make a launcher and set the command to this:
gksudo shutdown now
however, this requires a password.

Rodney9
March 20th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Fluxbox is terrific, very fast and you can configure it just by text files to your hearts content.

Here is a very good guide by Narada -

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1236329&highlight=conky+fluxbox

Here is a wiki -

http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php?title=Fluxbox-wiki

Then just search this site for Fluxbox for more hints.

Rodney