PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Driver installation. Please help.

bigseb
March 19th, 2010, 01:33 PM
How do install this graphics card driver?!?! File name is 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-190.53-pkg2.run'. It is pasted on my desktop.

MelDJ
March 19th, 2010, 01:45 PM
did the way i showed not work?

bigseb
March 19th, 2010, 02:48 PM
did the way i showed not work?
No... help

dino99
March 19th, 2010, 02:57 PM
No... help

You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA by adding ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa to your system's Software Sources

synaptic --> repo --> add

bigseb
March 19th, 2010, 03:07 PM
You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA by adding ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa to your system's Software Sources

Thanks... but I don't know what that means. Noob here...

oldos2er
March 19th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Open Synaptic Package Manager (via menus System, Administration, Synaptic), click settings, repositories, other software, add, then copy and paste ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa. Click close. Your software sources will be reloaded, and you should now be able to install the nvidia drivers from Synaptic.

bigseb
March 19th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Ok, I'm sort of kind of busy with this. Lets hope it works...

bigseb
June 4th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Not to drag up an old thread but it kinda fits:

My wife wants me to load Ubuntu onto her laptop this weekend. Her graphics card is an ATI Radeon 3200.

Do I follow this same process but type: ppa:ati-vdpau/pp instead?

Thanks

oldos2er
June 4th, 2010, 06:17 PM
No, as far as I know vdpau is an Nvidia-only thing. Ubuntu should recognize the ATI card, and if you're lucky it'll offer to install restricted drivers for it once you get Ubuntu installed.

Joel(Linux)
June 4th, 2010, 07:01 PM
ok, hopefully this works, well it worked for me anyway. First go to system>administration>hardware drivers, it should automatically scan your pc for drivers and install them.