PDA

View Full Version : fred meyer price scanners run... windows?

Dayofswords
March 19th, 2010, 11:26 AM
i was at a fred meyer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Meyer) yesterday and noticed a scanner(on concrete pilers for people to check prices) was a bit different it seemed to be frozen with the fred meyer logo and wont scan UPCs, so i fiddled with its buttons that normally do nothing but after varies push i was able to get to a setup screen for the scanner, i noticed it looked like win 2000 style font and and colors and layouts.

maybe it just looks like it, w/e. so the screen is a touch screen it seems, cool, after a short look around i went to file, then reboot. it shut off and turned on. white screen.... white screeen.... a window pops up and says something like "(Internet(/%Explorer(%" some messed up thing like that. then a count up to like 60, white screened and then the fred meyer logo and "price lookup here" thing, now it can scan.

ok i fixed it i guess and i learned it runs windows.

cool

this is not to say its bad or that it should have Linux, but i just find it interesting.

oh, and it reminds me of when i went on a flight, there was an IE error on a flight screen(see attachment)

Giant Speck
March 19th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Fred Meyer is probably the one place I don't mind going to an actual checkout counter instead of the self-checkout. The self-checkout counters are always so busy.

Dayofswords
March 19th, 2010, 11:41 AM
well its not the checkout counter

just a small price scanner like this
http://cjonline.com/files/editorial/images/morris/topeka/web/95095_web_new111409dillonsnew4.jpg

Giant Speck
March 19th, 2010, 11:48 AM
well its not the checkout counter

just a small price scanner like this

Ooooooh. I misunderstood.

I don't think I've ever seen a price-check scanner that ran a full-fledged operating system like Windows, Linux, etc.

Dayofswords
March 19th, 2010, 11:49 AM
it seemed far from full fledged
but based off of windows's things

Nevon
March 19th, 2010, 12:14 PM
One of the larger supermarkets here in Sweden has similar price checking terminals that also run Windows. I know, because I have never seen it actually working - I've only seen that error screen.