PDA

View Full Version : what do you think?

sxmaxchine
March 19th, 2010, 07:22 AM
out of these two options which do you think was the most useful invention?

Hyper Transport
Hyper Transport Information (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperTransport)

Hyper Threading
Hyper Threading Information (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper_threading)

cascade9
March 19th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Hyper transport. Hyperthearding is kind of pointless, especially in the days of multicore CPUs.

NovaAesa
March 19th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Hyper transport. Hyperthearding is kind of pointless, especially in the days of multicore CPUs.

Care to elaborate? I don't understand why it is pointless with multicores.

Penguin Guy
March 19th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Care to elaborate? I don't understand why it is pointless with multicores.
Multi-cores are already threaded (dual-core has two threads, quad-core has four), this usually suffices. That is why I am going to say that HyperTransport is far more useful.

fatality_uk
March 19th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Multi-cores are already threaded (dual-core has two threads, quad-core has four), this usually suffices. That is why I am going to say that HyperTransport is far more useful.

What he said!!!

sxmaxchine
March 19th, 2010, 01:00 PM

yes but if you have hyper thread then you could have 2 cores with 4 threads look at the intel i3 and pentium 4 ht,

the i3 has 2 cores and 4 threads 2 for each core, while the p4HT has 1 core and 2 threads

Grenage
March 19th, 2010, 01:08 PM
If we lived in a world where the threads were actually used in a useful way - hyperthreading. Unfortunately, we don't.

BrokenKingpin
March 19th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Worst thread title ever! Why can't you put something in the title that actually might indicate what the thread is about?

cascade9
March 19th, 2010, 03:48 PM
yes but if you have hyper thread then you could have 2 cores with 4 threads look at the intel i3 and pentium 4 ht,

the i3 has 2 cores and 4 threads 2 for each core, while the p4HT has 1 core and 2 threads

Yes, or could get a i5/i7/AMD X4 and get 4 real cores instead of a i3. Or an athlon 64 instead of a P4 HT...even without the extra thread, they stood up well the to P4 HT models.

Hypertheading never gave anywhere near as much as having a real extra core.

falconindy
March 19th, 2010, 04:11 PM
This is like asking if one prefers bananas or tennis. HTT and HT are unrelated. Neither one is inherently more or less useful without proper context. You should quantify "useful" as well. Maybe while you're at it, generalize the concept of HT, as Intel has their own competing architecture called QPI.

sxmaxchine
March 19th, 2010, 04:19 PM
This is like asking if one prefers bananas or tennis. HTT and HT are unrelated. Neither one is inherently more or less useful without proper context. You should quantify "useful" as well. Maybe while you're at it, generalize the concept of HT, as Intel has their own competing architecture called QPI.

thanks for the reply and i am greatly aware that threading and transport are completely different, i mainly posted this poll because i had a massive talk today about transport and threading and i was just curious what people think is the better invention, i personally believe they are both excellent but i do believe that transport is more useful.