PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.1 install problem.

Jimbopix
March 19th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Hey guys, I've got a weird little problem while trying to install Ubuntu on one of my machines.

First off, running the regulare 32bit 9.1 install disk, the disk boots really slow, pausing on every screen for like 2 minutes. When it finally gets to the menu where I can select the install option, I do that and then wait another 2 minutes. Then it kinda seems to hang there and do a while bunch of nothing.

When I run the alternate 32bit 9.1 install disk, i get the same slow loading of every screen. However, eventually i get to the installer and select my keyboard and language.

The next screen detects my hardware and proceeds to tell me that my installation CD could not be mounted.

I don't know if this is one problem or 2 seperate ones. I've used this same Ubuntu DVD for installs on 3 other machines, so the disk has to be good.

I read of some other people having this issue, and the only fix I've seen from someone yet is replacing the ROM. I've had no issues before this. It's just a plain just LG DVD writer, I love these units and have one in every one of my machines. None of my other machines had this problem.

Any ideas?

PRC09
March 19th, 2010, 07:42 AM
It could be just that particular drive is flaky.If you tried 2 different dvd and had problems with both when they work in other machines fine then chances are a bad drive.Only way to know for sure would be to use a known good drive in that machine and see what happens.Could also be some other hardware issue as well but that would be a start....

Jimbopix
March 22nd, 2010, 04:40 AM
Well i was able to install off of a USB drive. So yeah, must be the drive that's the issue for sure.