PDA

View Full Version : CNN report on Facebook vulnerability makes me laugh

dragonboss
March 19th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Just saw a CNN report (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2010/03/18/seg.facebook.hacking.cnn?hpt=T2) on a Facebook vulnerability that tells you you haveto download an attachment that has your new password, but when downloaded installs malware that can send all username/password combinations used on your, the solutions to which are to:

1. not open the attachment and delete the email, -Like Duuh!
2. install antivirus & antimalware from mcafee, and - Yeah that's ok for Win
3. make sure your antivirus is up to date - see 1.

In my opinion they are missing the most important solution to this problem: delete windows and install Linux! or better yet use your brain for something other than clicking everything in sight!

What do you guys think about this?
Oh yeah this is Not an windows bashing thread!

dragos240
March 19th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Just saw a report (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2010/03/18/seg.facebook.hacking.cnn?hpt=T2) on a Facebook vulnerability that tells you you haveto download an attachment that has your new password, but when downloaded installs malware that can send all username/password combinations used on your, the solutions to which are to:

In my opinion they are missing the most important solution to this problem: delete windows and install Linux! or better yet use your brain for something other than clicking everything in sight!

What do you guys think about this?
Oh yeah this is Not an windows bashing thread!

What is it? :p

GeoPrude
March 19th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Clicking unknown links is fun.

themarker0
March 19th, 2010, 01:42 AM
What is it? :p

A no common sense bashing thread?

lisati
March 19th, 2010, 01:43 AM
I've noticed a couple of emails allegedly from Facebook blocked by my server because they had ".exe" attachments. Does this mean I should let them through? NOT!

I did have a Facebook account once but I closed it due to lack of interest on my part

dragonboss
March 19th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Its just funny that they didn't talk about any people being invulnerable to it due to having other OSs

GeoPrude
March 19th, 2010, 01:45 AM
I've noticed a couple of emails allegedly from Facebook blocked by my server because they had ".exe" attachments. Does this mean I should let them through? NOT!

I did have a Facebook account once but I closed it due to lack of interest on my part

But did you actually close it?

dragonboss
March 19th, 2010, 01:45 AM
A no common sense bashing thread?

Yeah more or less :smile:

themarker0
March 19th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Yeah more or less :smile:

At least your honest ;)

dragonboss
March 19th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Clicking unknown links is fun.

True. But, only if you know what you're doing on your computer! and Especially if its linux

dragonboss
March 19th, 2010, 01:48 AM
At least your honest ;)

:lolflag:

lisati
March 19th, 2010, 01:52 AM
But did you actually close it?

Hmmmmm good question..... I must investigate. Anyway, the emails I received with the attachments supposedly from Facebook weren't actually from Facebook.

Post Monkeh
March 19th, 2010, 01:52 AM
stupidity makes any os insecure

dragonboss
March 19th, 2010, 01:53 AM
stupidity makes any os insecure

+1

dragonboss
March 19th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I'm not surprised at all that Facebook is targeted by hackers, Mr Zuckerberg himself was and probably still is a hacker himself and started the whole Facebook thing as a hack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook#Facemash).

GeoPrude
March 19th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Hmmmmm good question..... I must investigate. Anyway, the emails I received with the attachments supposedly from Facebook weren't actually from Facebook.

In addition, a New York Times article in February 2008 pointed out that Facebook does not actually provide a mechanism for users to close their accounts, and thus raises the concern that private user data will remain indefinitely on Facebook's servers. This college forum took it further and promoted a video which took an in depth look at the amount of data Facebook stores on its users, and who is able to view it. Whether or not that was true in February 2008, the truth now (as of August 2009) is that a Facebook user can search the help section and they will find an option that allows a user to permanently close their account.

x

Facebook has historically allowed users to deactivate their accounts but not actually remove account content from its servers. A Facebook representative explained to a student from the University of British Columbia that users had to clear their own accounts by manually deleting all of the content including wall posts, friends, and groups. The considerable effort dissuaded people from doing so. A New York Times article noted the issue, and also raised a concern that emails and other private user data remain indefinitely on Facebook's servers. Facebook subsequently began permanently deleting accounts on special request. Usually it takes 14 days to delete them.

Irihapeti
March 19th, 2010, 02:29 AM
I may have got one of those emails myself a couple of days ago. For some reason my ISP said that they had identified a virus in the attachment, but still let it through anyway. Way to go, major NZ ISP (you know who you are)....

I've been getting Facebook junk ever since one of my family succumbed to a phishing email, so I don't pay too much attention to the exact details but just delete them if they get through. It doesn't exactly encourage me to sign up.

Frak
March 19th, 2010, 02:30 AM
Use GMail. Done.

GeoPrude
March 19th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Use GMail. Done.

Is your avatar of a gay stig?

kaldor
March 19th, 2010, 02:32 AM

Am I the only one who gets frustrated when every "computer tip" or "security vulnerability" is Windows-oriented on the news?

A local news thing on computers caught my attention a few months ago. This woman was giving computer advice, and was using a MacBook Pro (big shiny silver laptop with blaring Apple logo) giving instructions on how to speed up your computer. "Go to your computer's Start menu..."

lisati
March 19th, 2010, 02:36 AM
I may have got one of those emails myself a couple of days ago. For some reason my ISP said that they had identified a virus in the attachment, but still let it through anyway. Way to go, major NZ ISP (you know who you are)....

Is this the ISP whose parent copany's mobile network has made the news recently for repeatedly going down? :)

the yawner
March 19th, 2010, 03:33 AM
On a slightly related note, it's been a month now but I still find this (http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/facebook_wants_to_be_your_one_true_login.php) funny.

dragonboss
March 19th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Am I the only one who gets frustrated when every "computer tip" or "security vulnerability" is Windows-oriented on the news?

A local news thing on computers caught my attention a few months ago. This woman was giving computer advice, and was using a MacBook Pro (big shiny silver laptop with blaring Apple logo) giving instructions on how to speed up your computer. "Go to your computer's Start menu..."

No you're not. And surprisingly I know about most of those "tips" already from my windows days.

"Go to your computer's Start menu...":lol:

swoll1980
March 19th, 2010, 03:58 AM

You realize if a bunch of Ubuntu users installed password.deb from "Facebook" the same thing would happen. Right? OK just making sure we were on the same page.

dragonboss
March 19th, 2010, 03:58 AM
On a slightly related note, it's been a month now but I still find this (http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/facebook_wants_to_be_your_one_true_login.php) funny.

Dear visitors from Google. This site is not Facebook. This is a website called ReadWriteWeb that reports on news about Facebook and other Internet services. You can however click here and become a Fan of ReadWriteWeb on Facebook, to receive our updates and learn more about the Internet. To access Facebook right now, click here. For future reference, type "facebook.com" into your browser address bar or enter "facebook" into Google and click on the first result. We recommend that you then save Facebook as a bookmark in your browser.

That was a laugh.

dragonboss
March 19th, 2010, 04:01 AM
You realize if a bunch of Ubuntu users installed password.deb from "Facebook" the same thing would happen. Right? OK just making sure we were on the same page.

Yes I do. Hence, the or better yet option. :p

the yawner
March 19th, 2010, 04:06 AM
That was a laugh.

Yeah. The comments were gold. :D
Now if these were also the same people that got that email thing...

dragonboss
March 19th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Yeah. The comments were gold. :D
Now if these were also the same people that got that email thing...

I didn't read the comments before but what? It ssems to me that those people are kind of daft.And the best comment of all goes to:

"I truly love Faceback.I am able to talk to more then one person." :popcorn:

Frak
March 19th, 2010, 04:19 AM
Is your avatar of a gay stig?
I am Kimberly, destroyer of worlds.

swoll1980
March 19th, 2010, 04:22 AM
The funniest part of the vid was when the guy said "Make sure your virus software is up to date. Hackers are writing viruses almost as fast as the anti virus companies are writing updates" Ah isn't it the other way around. It would be hard to write an update for a virus that doesn't exist yet.

the yawner
March 19th, 2010, 04:23 AM
I didn't read the comments before but what? It ssems to me that those people are kind of daft.And the best comment of all goes to:

"I truly love Faceback.I am able to talk to more then one person." :popcorn:

That was the exact reason why they had to clarify that they're not Facebook. :P

oldsoundguy
March 19th, 2010, 04:30 AM
On the report itself. Lumping ALL platforms as just COMPUTERS ALL vulnerable is bad reporting but attracts attention.

Several months ago I got some friends to send a complaints to the BBC for doing just the same thing. Saying that if it effects ONLY WINDOWS, the report should reflect that FACT.

Think they heard us!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8570993.stm
Read down a bit!

An add .. yesterday evening had a Facebook conversation involving members from LA (2), Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Francisco, Salem OR & Seattle .. all at the same time.

Now, just maybe you should just do the "letters to the editor" routine whenever you see reporting about some situation that effects ONLY WINDOWS and a clueless reporter/editor fails to note that in their story!

Irihapeti
March 19th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Is this the ISP whose parent copany's mobile network has made the news recently for repeatedly going down? :)

Yes, the one with the ad campaign with that arrogant-looking character in the striped jacket... (got seriously on my nerves) X... marks the spot not to go To. :)

lisati
March 20th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Yes, the one with the ad campaign with that arrogant-looking character in the striped jacket... (got seriously on my nerves) X... marks the spot not to go To. :)

:)

AlphaMack
March 20th, 2010, 09:21 AM

You're not alone. ;)

rottentree
March 20th, 2010, 10:34 AM

Are those comments actually real? :-?
It's one thing that people aren't computer literate and another that they can't use their eyes and think a bit. If those comments are real I'm not surprised that social sites and their users are increasingly targeted you don't have to try too hard to trick some of them.

Rick 1
March 20th, 2010, 02:58 PM
In my opinion they are missing the most important solution to this problem: delete windows and install Linux!
Don't suppose many of you visit Brian Krebs' new site (http://krebsonsecurity.com) (or even saw his old one) but that would be an eye opener.

Brian's been digging into the Russian underground and reporting on Windows exploits for a long time now. And the number of small and medium sized businesses learning to contact him if they get attacked is growing all the time. Millions escaping from corporate bank accounts every week. A malware industry estimated to be worth at least $10 billion per year. Windows Windows and only Windows. Of course. Everyone knows that. Don't they?

Brian long ago started advocating the use of Linux live CDs for banking. He himself has a MacBook Pro to run and suggests OS X as an alternative to the Linux live CD. He also says you don't need AV on OS X. He's also familiar with Linux. And yet he reports almost exclusively on the same old Windows rot each and every day, week in and week out.

Anyway: that's Brian. Now take a look at his 'followers'. They will discuss and suggest anything in the world - fifteen factor authentication, changing laws to make banks more liable, forcing banks to use the same type of massive database systems the credit card clearing companies use - they will discuss and suggest anything. They will even discuss blocking all Russian/Korean/Chinese IPs - a move that's tantamount to what Iran and China are doing today. That could lead to a major international crisis and maybe even a new war. They gleefully discuss all that. Those are 'viable alternatives' to this rare species.

But they will *not* talk about possibly (gasp) abandoning Windows. And if anyone merely suggests that the solution is as simple as getting a live Ubuntu CD, they get modded down. Several people at our own forums have seriously suggested Brian's comment threads are peppered with Microsoft astroturfers. But I don't believe that to be true - I believe people are this bad. I've read up on Jonestown and remember what happened to that poor congressman who came to save all those poor sods. This is how dumb some people can be. Don't forget - in this case you can't blame the media. You can't blame them for not getting the message out. All these people know about the Linux live CD solution - *they just don't want to be reminded of it*.

Take a look at Brian's site. Perhaps leave a comment as well. Hopefully some day those people will start using the thin end of the wedge. And then we'll all be able to chill out a bit more. Cheers.

AlphaMack
March 20th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Are those comments actually real? :-?

I'm afraid they are. 8-[

But they will *not* talk about possibly (gasp) abandoning Windows. And if anyone merely suggests that the solution is as simple as getting a live Ubuntu CD, they get modded down.

This.