PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I hate Nautilus!

javyn999
March 18th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Hey all. Been using Ubuntu since the tail end of Intrepid. I love it, but always though it ran a bit slower/more sluggish than it should have.

Since, Ubuntu 10.04 is on the horizon, I went a bit crazy installing different desktop environments to try them out and see if I like any better than Gnome. Why not? I intend to do a clean install of 10.04 anyway, so I don't care if I screw up any of my current settings at the moment.

Anyway. After trying lxde (lubuntu-desktop), I was amazed at how much faster and snappier it is!

For my slow laptop, I intend to do a minimal install of 10.04 and install lxde on top of that.

But I have different plans for my desktop as of now...and this is where my question lies.

Ubuntu running Gnome seems sluggish to me. Ubuntu running lxde does not. I believe that the cause of this slowdown is more Nautilus' fault than Gnome's. I would like to replace Nautilus with PCMan, while keeping Gnome so I can still have my Compiz desktop cube. I noticed many of the Compiz plugins work in lxde, but not the cube.

My desktop is an Athlon XP2800+, 2.0 ghz processor, 2 gigs of ddr ram, and a geforce 6200 video card.

What I'd like to do when 10.04 comes out for this desktop is do a regular Ubuntu install, but REMOVE Nautilus and replace it with the PCMan file system that I really started to like while I was messing around in lxde.

I have searched the forums and found many threads on replacing Nautilus with PCMan. But not one of these threads actually gives instructions for REMOVING Nautilus after I switch to PCMan.

Why? Is it possible to remove Nautilus from Ubuntu completely? Recommended?

Thanks for any input.

oldos2er
March 19th, 2010, 03:25 AM
It may be possible to remove Nautilus from gnome (I don't know one way or the other), but I don't think it's practical. Nautilus is tightly integrated into gnome; it's responsible for drawing gnome's desktop GUI.

Found this, maybe it will get you started: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DefaultFileManager

Fersure
March 19th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Well, if you like Compiz, you could always run LXDE -with- Compiz. I don't see why that shouldn't work if you wish to do so.

Regards, David.

Megafag
March 19th, 2010, 04:25 AM
*Original Post*

maybe you would be better suited to Crunchbang Linux (http://crunchbanglinux.org/)?

javyn999
March 19th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Well, if you like Compiz, you could always run LXDE -with- Compiz. I don't see why that shouldn't work if you wish to do so.

Regards, David.

Thanks. Well, I don't dislike Gnome. I intend to run lxde on a much slower laptop, but for my desktop I'd like to keep Gnome. I think Gnome with PCMan would be great.