PDA

View Full Version : Google's Statement on the Viacom Court Case

forrestcupp
March 18th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Check out Google's statement (http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-20000711-265.html) on the Viacom court case.

All I can say is Wow. Viacom was secretly and continuously uploading their own content that was "roughed up" to look like it was stolen, then complaining that it needed to be taken off. They did it so much and in such a deceiving way that they couldn't even keep track of what they uploaded.

_h_
March 18th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Haha, silly Viacom! You got busted. :D

Groucho Marxist
March 18th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Check out Google's statement (http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-20000711-265.html) on the Viacom court case.

All I can say is Wow. Viacom was secretly and continuously uploading their own content that was "roughed up" to look like it was stolen, then complaining that it needed to be taken off. They did it so much and in such a deceiving way that they couldn't even keep track of what they uploaded.

As sad as it sounds, that's not surprising. After all, the MPAA continuously conjures up its own piracy statistics.

alexfish
March 18th, 2010, 08:02 PM
if this is true then the Dingbats are Breeding and Spreading to other corporate companies

forrestcupp
March 19th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I can't believe this thread only got 3 replies. What Viacom has done is pretty unbelievable.

Keyper7
March 19th, 2010, 01:07 PM
And this is not your usual conspiracy theory, it's an official statement from Google.

I have high hopes for this being a severe blow to the *AA.

3rdalbum
March 19th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I can't believe this thread only got 3 replies. What Viacom has done is pretty unbelievable.

It is unbelievable, but I've already read heaps of replies about it on other websites.

RabbitWho
March 19th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I guess Viacoms argument is that Youtube is a platform for illegal content, it's irrelevant to them if people choose to share their stuff or not because they want money because we have the ability to share theirs stuff.

Of course the more people do it the harder it is for youtube to monitor so hopefully this will flatten their case.

I've never got why viacom don't just put the stuff on their own bloody website and get money from the ads they put up. There's millions to be made in online advertising, if the person registers you can find out a lot about them and give the exact ads they are likely to want to see. Also you can show to people all over the world and have country specific ads.
That Philip De Franco guy is only the 7th most subscribed vlogger on youtube and he gets like a million views per video, that's more than Bill O Reily or most TV presenters you can think of. Viacom could make a lot more money as youtube sponsored partners like him than by suing youtube. What the hell are they thinking?

There are a lot of very silly people in power who don't understand the internet. England working towards making public wi-fi illegal, copyright claims, blah blah blah why don't they understand this could make them millions? This isn't the death of television it's the evolution on it and if TV companies and music companies get on board fast they'll be richer than they ever were before, and we'll have more free content available to us and more choice.
The new lady gaga video is filled with product placement. That's one way to go, that's one group of people who know how to get the internet working for them and not against them.

Shpongle
March 19th, 2010, 03:05 PM
its the fact that they cant control it (yet) , if they owned youtube you would have to have paid subscriptions and probably install a proprietary program to view the files. They dont care about customers just about $$$. Good on google for publishing it!. these crooks need to be named and shamed (and more).

they always act in whats best for their own interests and not whats best for their customers.

hope this sends a message to the mafiaa to go . . elsewhere ;-)

LowSky
March 19th, 2010, 03:15 PM
This makes me think that other companies are putting their content on P2P just to fish for people to download the content, and then sue the pants off these people... Its like when the vice cops try to sell illegal goods or services and then arrest people on intent... its so messed up.

RabbitWho
March 19th, 2010, 03:20 PM
This makes me think that other companies are putting their content on P2P just to fish for people to download the content, and then sue the pants off these people... Its like when the vice cops try to sell illegal goods or services and then arrest people on intent... its so messed up.

True!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/89/Entrapment_film.jpg

Rasa1111
March 19th, 2010, 03:44 PM
way to go viaCON.
crooks.

Maheriano
March 19th, 2010, 04:05 PM
This about sums it up.

www.callcentermovie.com

forrestcupp
March 19th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Viacom could make a lot more money as youtube sponsored partners like him than by suing youtube. What the hell are they thinking?

Well, Google's statement says that when they find out a video isn't authorized to be on there, they give two options to the copyright holder. They can either remove the video, or they can leave it up and put it in the ad/revenue sharing program with the money going to the copyright holder. They said that most people choose to leave it up and go the ad way, but there are a few idiots like Viacom that choose to stir up trouble.