PDA

View Full Version : Hacker Disables More Than 100 Cars Remotely

Sporkman
March 18th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Hacker Disables More Than 100 Cars Remotely

More than 100 drivers in Austin, Texas found their cars disabled or the horns honking out of control, after an intruder ran amok in a web-based vehicle-immobilization system normally used to get the attention of consumers delinquent in their auto payments...

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/03/hacker-bricks-cars/

Psumi
March 18th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I'm glad I don't own a car, nor do I want one :D

doas777
March 18th, 2010, 07:21 PM
just goes to show what happens when you let people install surveillance/remote access backdoors in everything.

in the us, they are talking about the "smartgrid"; a new electric distribution paradigm, that will allow the electric company to turn your refrigerator on and off at their whim. great stuff that.

oh, and in /. parlence:
!bricked

Doctor Mike
March 18th, 2010, 07:24 PM
What kind of credit do you have to have to be jacked like this. Wonder if the people buying the cars even knew that the black box was there?

swoll1980
March 18th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Is it still called hacking, if the hacker was given the user name, and password?

doas777
March 18th, 2010, 07:28 PM
What kind of credit do you have to have to be jacked like this. Wonder if the people buying the cars even knew that the black box was there?

nope. the insurance industry and law enforcement don't want you to know that your car is spying on you 24/7.

doas777
March 18th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Is it still called hacking, if the hacker was given the user name, and password?

according to myspace, yes.... good thing the courts have ruled that a breach of TOS does not automatically mean you are in breach of the computer fraud and abuse act.

_h_
March 18th, 2010, 07:34 PM
according to myspace.

You forgot to take into account that Myspace is run by a bunch of idiots.

Groucho Marxist
March 18th, 2010, 07:36 PM

Sources at the scene of his arrest described him as a tall man wearing a black cloak, silk hat and monocle. He also featured a large waxed mustache which he would continually twirl while chuckling maniacally.

2hot6ft2
March 18th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Too funny. I can see I wont be buying a car there.
The other article on the right side is interesting too.
SEC: Hacker Manipulated Stock Prices
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/03/manipulated-stock-prices/

TuckLive
March 18th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Sources at the scene of his arrest described him as a tall man wearing a black cloak, silk hat and monocle. He also featured a large waxed mustache which he would continually twirl while chuckling maniacally.

:lolflag:

doas777
March 18th, 2010, 07:51 PM
You forgot to take into account that Myspace is run by a bunch of idiots.
not I, but appearently the courts did initially.

swoll1980
March 18th, 2010, 08:53 PM

Mr. Peanut?

Psumi
March 18th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Mr. Peanut?

Mr. Peanut doesn't have a mustache... anymore.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_t9pl9Dh5gGQ/SzqzqeE6LPI/AAAAAAAAOQU/ZZWA3AeBbOQ/s400/MrPeanutLogos.jpg

handy
March 19th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Mr. Peanut?

I immediately thought of Snidely Whiplash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhC_JJwlep0

witeshark17
March 19th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Well that's gotta be annoying. That finance company needs better security. :-\"

Khakilang
March 19th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I wonder what OS they are using on their server or what kind of security software they running? Or the hacker must be damn good or maybe an inside job. I wonder?

doas777
March 19th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I wonder what OS they are using on their server or what kind of security software they running? Or the hacker must be damn good or maybe an inside job. I wonder?
it was an inside job: a disgruntled former employee.

Sporkman
March 19th, 2010, 01:34 PM
it was an inside job: a disgruntled former employee.

Moral of the story: Only let gruntled employees keep valid passwords.

doas777
March 19th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Moral of the story: Only let gruntled employees keep valid passwords.
indeed. this incentivizes them to keep their employees gruntlement within established tolerances.

Sporkman
March 19th, 2010, 01:40 PM
indeed. this incentivizes them to keep their employees gruntlement within established tolerances.

By installing a gruntlement monitor, you can have it send an interrupt to the server when the tolerance is exceeded. Make sure the interrupt bit is not masked!

whiskeylover
March 19th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Nerd alert!!!

doas777
March 19th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I generally prefer the term "geek", as I lack a pocket protector and slide rule, and my glasses are not taped together at the bridge.

samalex
March 19th, 2010, 04:02 PM
So anyone with a stolen password is now labeled a 'Hacker' by the media? The term has been so skewed over the years, and though for me a 'Hacker' is still a computer guru who does good (as opposed to 'cracker'), this guy is neither. He didn't even use social engineering to get the password... he used to work there and stole it.

I haven't read all the replies, but hopefully others have noticed this blunder by the media. Yeah, the guy did a bad thing, but he's no hacker.

Sam

Sporkman
March 19th, 2010, 04:06 PM
So anyone with a stolen password is now labeled a 'Hacker' by the media? The term has been so skewed over the years, and though for me a 'Hacker' is still a computer guru who does good (as opposed to 'cracker'), this guy is neither. He didn't even use social engineering to get the password... he used to work there and stole it.

I haven't read all the replies, but hopefully others have noticed this blunder by the media. Yeah, the guy did a bad thing, but he's no hacker.

Sam

"Hacker" = individual who gains unauthorized access to computer systems.

Midnight Star
March 19th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Just wait until cars are completely automated...then car jacking will rise to a new level. Imagine driving your girlfriend to the hospital, and on the way there, your car gets redirected remotely to a car jacker that simply needs a lift to the local pub. Maybe when he gets out he'll toss you a $20.

What will they think of next.

Mr. Picklesworth
March 19th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Wow, a pager network. That sounds like a great idea! What could possibly go wrong?

Only a matter of time before a _real_ hacking attempt, without the wimpy web based tools.

superarthur
March 19th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I think he's sort of a hero, maybe not by good intention, but he did expose the evil ways of his former company.

richs-lxh
March 19th, 2010, 06:30 PM

Sam

I was just about to say the same thing. It seems that the media is hell bent on hitting the general public with as much FUD as possible.

Incidentally I have seen these black boxes and the monitoring software they use here in Europe. This is the next big thing for insurance companies and law enforcement. Every move you make in your car is logged, route, speed, everything. There is even a live global map with the software that can pinpoint any vehicle in realtime. It's actually quite an impressive system as long as the car owner is actually aware of it's existence.

ubuntu27
March 19th, 2010, 06:43 PM
How do we know if our car has one of those blackbox?

whiskeylover
March 19th, 2010, 06:46 PM
How do we know if our car has one of those blackbox?

If you bought your car from one of those "Everybody is qualified" places, chances are your car has one.

fela
March 19th, 2010, 06:50 PM
If you install something that allows people to remotely control the car, then expect it to be hacked!

No matter how strong the lock is, it's always openable. That's the point of a lock. The same goes for technology security systems - anything that will allow something or someone to get through will also allow someone else (a hacker for example) to get through if they use the right tactics.

doas777
March 19th, 2010, 07:11 PM
If you bought your car from one of those "Everybody is qualified" places, chances are your car has one.
yes those woudl be a place to look out for this peice of software.

most cars nowadays have a blackbox, but they don;t usually have remote access or shut-down or whatever, though law enforcement is lobbying to make them mandatory in the us. if you car has northstar, or somthing like it though, you are at their mercy.

samalex
March 19th, 2010, 07:18 PM
"Hacker" = individual who gains unauthorized access to computer systems.

I prefer the original definition used until the media chopped it up:
Hacker: A programmer for whom computing is its own reward; may enjoy the challenge of breaking into other computers but does no harm; "true hackers subscribe to a code of ethics and look down upon crackers"

Hackers = Torvalds, RMS, Woz
Crackers = Kevin Mitnick, Kevin Poulsen
Script Kitties/Tool = This guy who set off 100 car alarms

Sam

Rasa1111
March 19th, 2010, 07:26 PM
:lol: that's awesome. :D

weak as hell, but still cool. lol