PDA

View Full Version : These are totally different careers and if you had the choice between...

waloshin
March 18th, 2010, 06:06 PM
These are totally different careers and if you had the choice between either one only which one would you rather choose and why?

A) Social Worker

B) Computer Networking Technician

jayze
March 18th, 2010, 06:09 PM
speechless! ...no contest.......thought I was the only insane person on here!... IT IT IT IT IT IT IT IT IT IT IT .....ps if you really do wanna do good works...then do that in your spare time maybe:popcorn:

alexfish
March 18th, 2010, 06:47 PM
These are totally different careers and if you had the choice between either one only which one would you rather choose and why?

A) Social Worker

B) Computer Networking Technician

what's the difference ?

post above + 20

Post Monkeh
March 18th, 2010, 06:52 PM
i get depressed enough at the state of the human race after reading some of the posts on here, social work would drive me to the drink

Doctor Mike
March 18th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I've done crisis counseling with teenagers. Computer tech wins out (even though it's close) because you don't really have to give a rats fat a** if the users are happy. As long as money is being made... all is forgiven.

Naggobot
March 18th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I am neither but having left successful IT company more than 10 years ago I would not totally agree with Jayze. I have never looked back to that particular field to spend my whole days with even though I may have occasionally missed to some other non IT related posts later on life. I try to spend my free time doing good as Jayze suggested but I also spend my free time tinkering with IT.

So probably the alternative is to spend free time with IT and marry a social worker. That way you do not get an over dose of either. :)

More seriously I would say that any career can make you miserable if you miss choose and on the other hand you can choose a right career and be miserable because of bad work environment and other way around. Also as I look in to the direction the world is progressing I would suggest not basing your life and identity to work since you may be downsized tomorrow.

Good luck with what ever you choose (if that is what you are doing)

forrestcupp
March 18th, 2010, 08:04 PM
This is hardly the forum for an unbiased poll on this subject. ;)

gsmanners
March 18th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I'd rather be a ditch-digger in Montana than be a social worker. I wouldn't wish that "career" on my worst enemy. Especially in some place like Texas or Georgia.

markbuntu
March 19th, 2010, 10:20 PM
You can do both. Just start drinking heavily as soon as you wake up.

JDShu
March 19th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Me personally, its no contest. Social Worker.

madjr
March 20th, 2010, 03:54 PM
first do what you like (or may like), not what you hate

also check out the local jobs, there's no use if there's no demand

social worker is probably faster to finish

i for one, have been in IT forever, but am studying psychology/sociology now (i do it for myself first, because i like it and it's powerful, am not sure if am going to practice it, i dont like dealing with lunatics ^^)

1 con (and pro at the same time) in the IT field is how fast technology evolves, so you need to stay constantly updated. what you learned a few years ago could become almost useless. it may be also a pro, because many times new stuff = excitement

sociology evolves much much slower. learn once and apply

you may end up as me and study both =)

at whatever you do, aim to become above average

jflaker
March 20th, 2010, 04:00 PM
With IT work you can sleep at night and if the server still has troubles you can replace it. If you patient still has troubles there are worries about them and them hurting others.

Megrimn
March 20th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I really only picked computer networking technician because it's similar to what I am actually going to school for.