PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Very New User - Assistance Please

bingo23
March 18th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I would welcome some advice on Installation preferably by email - if any kind person would like to contact me please do so - <snip>
Many thanks.

Mike :)

howefield
March 18th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Welcome, however you are posting on a public forum - expect some public replies.

What is the problem you are having ?

PS. Never a good idea to post your email address in a posting...

bingo23
March 18th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the contact and the advice - am currently using Windows Vista Home Premium and want to Install Ubuntu V 9.10.

I have the Disc and am keen to use the Option to Install Inside Windows but am clearly doing something wrong, as somewhere along the line it went to the Partioning method of Install.

All I want to do is to be able to Keep Windows Vista as my Default and be able to have the Option to 'play' with Ubuntu along withh all of its functionality.

I pointed the Install to an empty 70Gb Drive but did not seem able to prevent an Install to Ubuntu in total - by chance I have managed to get into the computer and rstore Vista and have for the time being Uninstalled Ubuntu for the Add/Remove programs Option.

Any advice would be most welcome.

thanks again.

mike

howefield
March 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Are you booting from the Ubuntu Live CD or loading the cd from within windows ?

Have a browse here, see if that helps, if not, post back.

http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php

Here is a short video explaining the process

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5x9iJWXbUY

bingo23
March 18th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I merely put the CD into the Drive - the Run wubi.exe box comes up.

I click to Install Inside Windows, select the Drive that I mentioned etc., etc.. and click Install, then when prompted finally click reboot in the Wizard.

chinna saaeb
March 18th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I strongly recommend that you use Virtual box or Virtual Pc and then in the virtual disk install ubuntu. You can then play with it and at the same time have your original system in tact