PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video Card Driver Help

Failboat88
March 17th, 2010, 11:03 PM
I just installed a few days ago and I need to install drivers for my ATI x300. I don't want to use the proprietary legacy bs ATI has preferably.

Anyone got some simple sets to get my card fully working? I'd really like to get the skydome thing working.

Mark Phelps
March 18th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I just installed a few days ago and I need to install drivers for my ATI x300. I don't want to use the proprietary legacy bs ATI has preferably.

Anyone got some simple sets to get my card fully working? I'd really like to get the skydome thing working.

There are no ATI drivers for your card that work with current Ubuntu versions. ATI dropped Linux support for your card a long time ago.

Ubuntu automatically installs the correct open source drivers for your card. They are all that is available.

Failboat88
March 18th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I can't get the cube screen thing to work do you think it's because of that?

Mark Phelps
March 19th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Most probably.

markbuntu
March 19th, 2010, 09:15 PM
The latest open source ati driver should work with your card and run compiz with no problems

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1238129

Failboat88
March 20th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Ubuntu automatically installs the correct open source drivers for your card. They are all that is available.

The latest open source ati driver should work with your card and run compiz with no problems

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1238129

I'm not following completely. Does installing Ubuntu alone get me the right drivers and install them or do I need to update them some how to get the latest.

markbuntu
March 21st, 2010, 11:23 PM
Ubuntu distribution hardware drivers are usually the latest ones that were available before the release date and are automatically installed and activated during the install process.

These drivers are not generally upgraded through the automatic update mechanism so you need to get and install upgraded drivers manually if you want to use them.

Failboat88
March 22nd, 2010, 08:28 PM
When I installed it I had a ati850x in there and now I have a 300x. Does that make a difference?

How do you update the open-source drivers? Is there a program or anything that will do it for me?