PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installing Windows Program in Ubuntu

ale2010
March 17th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I was able to install windows programs in Ubuntu using "WINE".

I just wanted to share this info with this community just in case someone needs to install "WINDOW PROGRAMS" in ubuntu.

1- Go to SYSTEM
2- ADMINISTRATION
3- SYNAPTIC PACKAGE MANAGER
4-SEARCH FOR WINE
5-CHECK WINE
6-THEN JUST CLICK ON APPLY AND THAT'S IT

If you are using firefox when downloading a windows programs just select OPEN WITH WINE.

Some of the programs might not work.. good luck ! ! !;)
That's it.....have fun....

tom4everitt
March 17th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Excellent guide!

A tip is to try the latest wine beta instead of the stable wine. Some programs (spotify to mention one) run much better under the beta.

Search for and check wine1.2 in synaptic (instead of just wine).

enbaeza
March 17th, 2010, 11:22 PM
I tried that and I get an error message: Cannot get BIOS information. when installing a windows program with wine, not the beta wine just wine. :popcorn:

arubislander
March 17th, 2010, 11:38 PM
As mentioned, your mileage may vary...

Doug11
March 18th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I tried that and I get an error message: Cannot get BIOS information. when installing a windows program with wine, not the beta wine just wine. :popcorn:

Yea,,you can expect that with a few doze proggies...there are a fw i use and have to do some modifications to get them to run properly.

ale2010
March 18th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Excellent guide!

A tip is to try the latest wine beta instead of the stable wine. Some programs (spotify to mention one) run much better under the beta.

Search for and check wine1.2 in synaptic (instead of just wine).

Thanks, i'll try that when I get home.

phillw
March 18th, 2010, 03:57 PM
+1 for the beta, I see that often mentioned.

If you want to see what versions of what programmes either don't work, sort of work, work quite well and work very well head over to http://winehq.org

You can then search by programme, they also have an active forum area.

Regards,

Phill.

norseman-has-a-laptop
March 18th, 2010, 05:41 PM
i love WINE it allows me to play diablo2 when im bored lol but yeah useing the most stable version of WINE is a good thing. i have had only one problem with wine and that was trying to get my itunes to work with it and i got it to work after ifiddled around with it