PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need to uninstall :(

Loopkno
March 17th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I loved having Ubuntu, but after upgrading to karmic it's been basically unusable, I have no sound, no use of mouse pad and the cpu usage won't go above 50%, despite needing to. I've also got a bunch of stuff from uni that only works properly in windows...

So I have to uninstall. Is there a way to do this without disks, as I live away from home and I'm not even sure I have the disk for Vista there and I definitely don't have the Ubuntu disk?

Thanks

phillw
March 17th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I loved having Ubuntu, but after upgrading to karmic it's been basically unusable, I have no sound, no use of mouse pad and the cpu usage won't go above 50%, despite needing to. I've also got a bunch of stuff from uni that only works properly in windows...

So I have to uninstall. Is there a way to do this without disks, as I live away from home and I'm not even sure I have the disk for Vista there and I definitely don't have the Ubuntu disk?

Thanks

Hi, sorry to hear you're having problems.

Did you install ubuntu as dual boot, or did you wipe your Vista partition? If you deleted your Vista Partition, you're going to need the Disk that came with your computer.

So, in the meantime ..

Fixing sound and errant track-pad should not be too great a task, as for your CPU usage - when you say 'it needs to go higher' - why does it need to go higher ? I can write a script that will hammer a CPU at 100% in an endless loop, maybe the progamme(s) don't need more than 50% usage ?

Which programme(s) are not flogging the living day-lights out of your computer ?

For most of your Uni Stuff, there will be *nix equivalents, again, please reply with what you need.

Regards,

Phill.

Loopkno
March 17th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Hi, sorry to hear you're having problems.

Did you install ubuntu as dual boot, or did you wipe your Vista partition? If you deleted your Vista Partition, you're going to need the Disk that came with your computer.

It was a dual boot, I've been having to use Vista for the past month or so, it's been behaving so I think I'll be ok with it.

Fixing sound and errant track-pad should not be too great a task, as for your CPU usage - when you say 'it needs to go higher' - why does it need to go higher ? I can write a script that will hammer a CPU at 100% in an endless loop, maybe the progamme(s) don't need more than 50% usage ?

It's just from previous use of the computer, I always had the CPU monitor running, and it can't cope with running two firefox tabs, it just sits doing nothing with CPU at 50% to open a new one. I don't really have time to sit and fix it, and my mum is thinking of taking this computer (a 17" monster) so I can get a more portable, uni friendly one.

For most of your Uni Stuff, there will be *nix equivalents, again, please reply with what you need.

Regards,

Phill.

It's a bunch of assistive software, I have a weird eye problem, kinda dyslexia related, so I have a thing for colour filtering my screen and some other programs. I'd rather use the stuff I have, it's the same as is on the computers in my uni so all my work is easier to transfer. I'm basically being lazy about getting things working again. And the promise of a shiny new computer is enticing :P

phillw
March 18th, 2010, 12:06 AM
It was a dual boot, I've been having to use Vista for the past month or so, it's been behaving so I think I'll be ok with it.

Okies, 1st thing - back up all data that you cannot afford to lose.

Put Vista back as the boot system --> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708

You can then use the inbuilt Vista partitioner to reformat the ubuntu area for it to use. (From memory it is set the Ubuntu areas (ubuntu & swap) as free space, delete those partitions, then 'grow' your Vista area into it -- but you'd be better looking that up)

It's just from previous use of the computer, I always had the CPU monitor running, and it can't cope with running two firefox tabs, it just sits doing nothing with CPU at 50% to open a new one. I don't really have time to sit and fix it, and my mum is thinking of taking this computer (a 17" monster) so I can get a more portable, uni friendly one.

Maybe a FireFox issue, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567

It's a bunch of assistive software, I have a weird eye problem, kinda dyslexia related, so I have a thing for colour filtering my screen and some other programs. I'd rather use the stuff I have, it's the same as is on the computers in my uni so all my work is easier to transfer. I'm basically being lazy about getting things working again. And the promise of a shiny new computer is enticing :P

Indeed :-) There is a forum for assistive technology, http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=145

Which also has an active email membership.

Regardless of which path you choose (or is chosen), when you get time, do pop a unbuntu onto a bit of hard-disk (you only need 10GB) - it does give you the added insurance of helping fix a borked / virus ridden Win area, and the people on assistive are always looking for new people to raise their voices and help develop the assistive side of ubuntu.

May I also wish you every success in your studies :-)

Regards,

Phill.

Loopkno
March 18th, 2010, 10:00 PM

I'll get back to you with how I get on, just need to get a blank disk now :)