PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] NEWBIE post Netbook Installation Trouble

gumboeditor
March 17th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I think I may know the answer to my question, but since I can't confirm what I'm thinking I wanted to solicit the advice of experts. First, I want to let people know that I have never installed Ubuntu or any version of Linux anywhere and this was my first attempt in doing so.

I recently made the mistake of buying a netbook off ebay. It's a 7" EPC ARM 926 netbook with a 266 MHz processor, 128 MB RAM, and 2GB hard drive running Windows CE 5.0.

The machine is pretty junky, but I thought "Hey, if I can wipe the hard drive and install Linux, this might be a neat little machine!" So I set out to create a USB drive that would install Ubuntu on the netbook.

I downloaded Ubuntu Netbook Remix. Then, I had all sorts of trouble making the boot drive. I eventually used Unetbootin to create it, so I'm working on the assumption that the flash drive is set up correctly. I'm using a 2GB flash drive that I bought recently.

I boot the netbook, and hit F1 and it asks for a password. I don't have that, so I'm not able to change the boot sequence. On top of that, the computer doesn't seem to recognize my flash drive at all (at least I can't get to it through any interface on the netbook). So even if I could re-order the boot sequence I'm not sure it would read the flash drive.

So, did I just learn a lesson, or will I actually be able to install Linux on this machine?

The potential problems that I think I'm running into (or could run into):

operating system on netbook cannot recognize a modern USB
USB flash drive not formatted correctly
cannot re-order boot sequence on netbook
not enough space on the netbook to install Linux
Windows CE is such crap that you can't even get rid of it

Am I out of luck? (and thanks for reading all this)

gumboeditor
March 17th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Sorry about that, I found this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1349626&highlight=cnmbook

and I think I will find my answer there.