PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] karmic gdm login screen

FunkyRes
March 17th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I finally updated to latest ubuntu, lost my custom gdm login screen, and the new login screen admin tool doesn't allow me to change from the default.

I can not seem to find the gui way to select alternate gbm login screens, and I really do not like the default.

Where have they hidden this?

j7%<RmUg
March 17th, 2010, 04:09 PM
They havent hidden it, if you had have searched the forums first you would have noticed the 400 other threads started about this. Install gdm2setup it works great:

https://launchpad.net/gdm2setup/

FunkyRes
March 17th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the answer.

I must say though it is a bit disappointing how many different repositories I am having to add just to install stuff that should be (and use to be) part of any core distro.

The PPA repos are a good idea for many things, but Ubuntu really is starting to lose the KISS factor when it comes to installing stuff. No longer is it a simple matter of using apt / synaptic, you frequently have to add a ppa first even for stuff that doesn't have licensing issues or is not bleeding edge beta.

Furthermore, when trying to report a driver bug I experienced, there was a nifty tool to generate an XML report - and preview it - but the preview didn't work because it was malformed XML (I have to look at the XML but the malformed content is related to my mouse)

This is definitely one of the rougher dist updates I've done, and I waited to do the update specifically to let the rough edges get worked out.

Oh well. At least it isn't as horrible an experience as a Windows dist update typically is.

FunkyRes
March 17th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Well crap, it looks like GDM greeter theming isn't even currently supported, IE Ubuntu chose to use a gdm version that isn't even finished.

I'll have to see if I can revert the GDM version - that really sucks.