PDA

View Full Version : 10.4/Spotify

oneup
March 17th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Hi has anybody had a problem installing Spotify in 10.4 alpha.it wont let me install Spotify,it gets so far and then says this is not from a trusted source and install fails,does anyone know why please?

Fersure
March 17th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Are you running the Windows app under wine?

oneup
March 18th, 2010, 01:50 AM
yes,installing windows version under wine,is, so far as I know the only way to have Spotify in linux,unless you know better and can tell me how?

Fersure
March 19th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Make sure you type:

wine "Spotify Installer.exe"
in a terminal. Do NOT double click the .exe

oneup
March 22nd, 2010, 01:40 AM
Thank you Fershure but it still does not work,I think it is intended that we shall not have Spotify in Ubuntu !

What I don't understand is why?So far as I know Spotify has never caused anyone any mishap in any distro !

Fersure
March 24th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Thank you Fershure but it still does not work,I think it is intended that we shall not have Spotify in Ubuntu !

What I don't understand is why?So far as I know Spotify has never caused anyone any mishap in any distro !

I managed to install it in an Ubuntu Lucid VM. I don't see why you're having issues. Are you sure you're starting the installer in wine from the terminal? What exactly happens and when?

oneup
March 26th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Thank you again for your help Fersure,I will install Lucid beta again tonight and try once more !

oneup
March 30th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Hi FERSURE,it says wine cannot find Spotify Installer.exe,any ideas that will help me install Spotify any other way please?

kostkon
March 30th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Hi FERSURE,it says wine cannot find Spotify Installer.exe,any ideas that will help me install Spotify any other way please?
You could try this easy and simple solution:
copy the the installer file to your wine Program Files folder, i.e.

/home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files
and then run it from there.

Girindor
April 28th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I struggled for ages, getting Spotify to work on Ubuntu, it breaking, re-installing, etc. -until I discovered We7.com which is basically like Spotify but web-based, works like a charm, and has less annoying ads.

You're welcome :-)

Andy from Somerset
May 3rd, 2010, 10:05 AM
Try the following -

Right click the Spotify executable and select 'Properties'. Then select the 'Permissions' tab and put a tick in the 'Execute' tick box.

Install via Wine as usual.