PDA

View Full Version : How clever are you?

weichimaster
March 17th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Community Cafe

Now is the chance for you to vote on your own cleverness! Do you think you are more intelligent than the average Community Cafe poster, or less intelligent? For the pedants, I'm defining average as the median.

I'll go first, and vote myself less smart. (I have a feeling it may be an unloved option.)

_h_
March 17th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Overall smarts or smarts in any specific field?

weichimaster
March 17th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Overall smarts or smarts in any specific field?
Good point! I'll change it to more intelligent, and people can define that however they see fit.
So possibly overall smarts, but debate is good.

Post Monkeh
March 17th, 2010, 12:16 AM
incredibbly.

Fred the Penguin
March 17th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I am smarter than average in my age group, but not with people older than me. I'm only 13.

Phrea
March 17th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Add average.

tgalati4
March 17th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Smarter than a 5-year-old.

Maybe.

weichimaster
March 17th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Add average.
Hmm... I'm not sure how to alter the poll now it's up and running.

This may be some juitification for the way I voted...

andras artois
March 17th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Such a vague question. People could be astrophysicists but not have the faintest clue about how to replumb a house.

By all means most people who call in a plumber would praise his talents at fixing their plumbing because they don't know how to.

Most people who don't know what an astrophysicist is would just shrug off how important they are or they would just demean what they actually do yet they are pretty damn clever.

A lot of people who could qualify for mensa, for example, can be pretty damn thick in applied situations of the problems that require solving in the mensa test.

However, I am pretty damn clever. Probably more so than anyone I know but then again I could just be horrendously arrogant.

Please be less vague.

Meep3D
March 17th, 2010, 12:27 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Just for perspective :)

MechaMechanism
March 17th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Uh... what is intelligent mean? :confused:

lisati
March 17th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Uh... what is intelligent mean? :confused:

+1
And how do we allow for people who blow their own trumpet in the poll?

LMP900
March 17th, 2010, 02:23 AM
I voted before I read the initial post. I thought it was asking if I was more clever than the average person, not just forum members. I'd have to change my vote to "less clever."

dragos240
March 17th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Computer wise, I would say so, at least in my town. Most in my town can't open up an email.

wojox
March 17th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Idiot Savant

mechro
March 17th, 2010, 02:32 AM
I'm more average than intelligent.

Shpongle
March 17th, 2010, 02:37 AM
how can you measure cleverness in its entirety (it's like trying to calculate linux's true market share ;-) ) ?, as everyone knows different things, whats clever to one may not be clever to others,

anyway i would say im a smart person ,

JDShu
March 17th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Since its Ubuntu Forums, I assumed it was cleverness in regards to Ubuntu, Open Source, and computers in general in which case, I'm probably below average considering how many IT guys seem to frequent this forum.

Irihapeti
March 17th, 2010, 03:30 AM
I've been told a few times that I'm too clever by half :) :)

Letrazzrot
March 17th, 2010, 03:31 AM
This topic, and the amusing replies so far, remind me of a Douglas Adams quote:

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which"

But yeah, my intelligence is somewhere between Newton's, and a sponge.

d3v1150m471c
March 17th, 2010, 03:37 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Just for perspective :)

rofl. nice link, mate

gymophett
March 17th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Hmm. A lot smarter than most people around here. I was in gifted classes and everything. Sooo...

the yawner
March 17th, 2010, 03:54 AM
My cleverness is relative to the demands of the situation and the average intelligence of my surrounding. So while I do not wish to be regarded as a genius in any of my favored fields (just well informed), it could not be helped if my uninformed audience assumes that this is just the case. In this forum, my intelligence fluctuates.

steve161
March 17th, 2010, 03:58 AM
I just recently locked my keys in my car while it was running. Need more choices in poll.

Edit: We still got the Fedora thing going? Okay, goodbye Neil Cassady for now

weichimaster
March 17th, 2010, 04:22 PM
87.5% of us (currently) are cleverer than the median (e.g. the dimmer 50%)! It's a remarkable result.

The reasons I put myself into the lower category include:

1) I have left my dry cleaning on the train 3 times so far this year.
2) I have locked my car keys in the boot whilst at a motorway parking place.
3) Whilst moving house, I managed to lose a cheque for £38,500. (Fortunately the issuer cancelled it and re-issued it.)

Against that are various things like academic intelligence. But I chose to interpret my poorly defined criterion as being common sense-type intelligence rather than academic intelligence.

donkyhotay
March 17th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Interesting how many people consider themselves smarter then average here. Of course we all use open source software so it would make sense that we're all smarter then average. (c;

Muppeteer
March 17th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Intelligence is not static. People learn, or should learn more with everyday. Though that's something this generation seems to lack. As soon as people get out of school/college, they settle down, have kids and think they don't need to learn anymore. I don't get how people can be like that. I crave learning, about everything and anything.

If only i was like that throughout school...:p

NightwishFan
March 17th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I am a fool, but a cunning fool.

swoll1980
March 17th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Intelligence is not static. People learn, or should learn more with everyday. Though that's something this generation seems to lack. As soon as people get out of school/college, they settle down, have kids and think they don't need to learn anymore. I don't get how people can be like that. I crave learning, about everything and anything.

If only i was like that throughout school...:p

I think intelligence is measured in ones ability to solve problems. And I'm not just talking about math problems, problems in general. Intelligence isn't learned, either you are born with it, or your not. Picking up a piece of flint, and beating it with a rock until it's a spear head takes intelligence. Copying that guy doesn't. That's an example of being educated.

Paqman
March 17th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I did the MENSA exam once, just for a laugh. They put me in the 92nd percentile for IQ, which is well off the pace for MENSA but not too shabby I thought.

However, I like to remind myself that it also means that every 12th person that passes me in the street is smarter than me. Some of them enormously so. It doesn't matter how smart you are, there's always someone out there that makes you look like a turnip.

ratcheer
March 17th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Too clever by half.

Tim

Frak
March 17th, 2010, 06:09 PM
sqrt(-1) returns a real number in my presence.

Paqman
March 17th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Intelligence isn't learned, either you are born with it, or your not.

I disagree, experience of solving a certain kind of problem can help a lot, even if only due to confidence and stress levels.

Muppeteer
March 17th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I think intelligence is measured in ones ability to solve problems. And I'm not just talking about math problems, problems in general. Intelligence isn't learned, either you are born with it, or your not. Picking up a piece of flint, and beating it with a rock until it's a spear head takes intelligence. Copying that guy doesn't. That's an example of being educated.

You aren't 'born with intelligence', what a stupid thing to say. The difference between academically successful people and those less successful is mostly due to how they learn. Some find it easier than others, and some people learn better from practical experience rather than theoretical. My point was, a lot of people are unwilling to put any time or effort into it, which is what separates the intelligent from the non-intelligent.

You can train yourself to become more intelligent, without a doubt. As Richard Feynman says, he wasn't born with a special talent. His work is due to a lot of time and determination which anybody can achieve.

Tristam Green
March 17th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I think intelligence is measured in ones ability to solve problems. And I'm not just talking about math problems, problems in general. Intelligence isn't learned, either you are born with it, or your not.

Mastery of language falls where, then?

Frak
March 17th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Mastery of language falls where, then?
I honestly cracked up after reading this.

Muppeteer
March 17th, 2010, 06:29 PM
What's with all the Tyler Durden avatars? :p

Man crushes? :D

Frak
March 17th, 2010, 06:30 PM
What's with all the Tyler Durden avatars? :p

Man crushes? :D
The first rule of Tyler Durden is: you do not talk about Tyler Durden. -- Tyler Durden

ratcheer
March 17th, 2010, 09:16 PM
WTH is Tyler Durden?

Tim

swoll1980
March 17th, 2010, 09:30 PM
I disagree, experience of solving a certain kind of problem can help a lot, even if only due to confidence and stress levels.

This is learned behaver though. Any thing can be taught to do things. I taught my dog to smile for the camera. They give animals puzzles to solve. These animals were not taught anything. Some of them could solve the puzzles, some of them couldn't. Doesn't this prove that some animals are born with intelligence, and others aren't. Once we establish what animals are, and are not intelligent, we can gauge how intelligent they are by making the puzzles more complex. This is how IQ test work.

Frak
March 17th, 2010, 09:33 PM
This is learned behaver though. Any thing can be taught to do things. I taught my dog to smile for the camera. They give animals puzzles to solve. These animals were not taught anything. Some of them could solve the puzzles, some of them couldn't. Doesn't this prove that some animals are born with intelligence, and others aren't.
No it doesn't. Much of the "capacity for intelligence" occurs while a child is still in their infancy to late teens. The frontal lobe is developing rapidly, and the brain is starting to make reservations. The more a child does during their developing years, the more likely they are to have a higher "Intelligence Quotient".

You're currently stuck in some logic fallacy.

weichimaster
March 17th, 2010, 11:32 PM
[/begin rant]
Muppeteer's comment around hard work being necessary for success is absolutely spot on. Malcolm Gladwell in the excellent book "Outliers" analyses what successful people have in common. In every single case, the successful people had put at least 10,000 hours into their chosen pursuit. (This includes Bill Gates, who had the opportunity to do large amounts of programming as a youngster.) Obviously, success requires some talent and luck as well as hard work. But hard work is definitely required.

Also, someone mentioned IQ tests. These seem to be a pretty flawed way of measuring intelligence. If someone spends a week or so studying IQ tests, their score will increase. Are they more intelligent? Absolutely not. There are also various other objections to IQ as a guide to intelligence. For example, IQ tests inevitably test knowledge as well as intelligence.

A simple definition of intelligence will not do justice to the range of human endeavours. For example, if I could have defined intelligence as ability to research mathematics. (This would mean I should have voted for myself in the upper category rather than the lower category.) However, I deliberately kept a vague definition in attempt to stimulate this type of debate.

[/end rant]

inobe
March 17th, 2010, 11:51 PM
i learn from my mistakes.

Hyper Tails
March 18th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I believe that I'm the smartest person in my family (i'm only 15, 16 on May 3rd)

Hyper Tails
March 18th, 2010, 12:31 AM
i learn from my mistakes.

+1

blur xc
March 18th, 2010, 12:38 AM
I believe that I'm the smartest person in my family (i'm only 15, 16 on May 3rd)

We all know that intelligence peaks in the teenage years. After that you just start getting dumber.

I wish I could go back to when I knew everything...

(I voted not so smart)

BM

Psumi
March 18th, 2010, 01:01 AM
I'm smarter than average in some things, but I'm back to average, and even below average for someof the things I don't know or care about.

inobe
March 18th, 2010, 01:55 AM
someone will always be at least two neurons ahead of us.

cleverness sometimes isn't a good thing, you can be dumber than a box of rocks and have the ability to hide it.

the yawner
March 18th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Hmm... So. If we're going to apply the Dunning–Kruger effect as mentioned, and just assume that this is exactly the case here. Uhm? XD

swoll1980
March 18th, 2010, 02:45 AM
No it doesn't. Much of the "capacity for intelligence" occurs while a child is still in their infancy to late teens. The frontal lobe is developing rapidly, and the brain is starting to make reservations. The more a child does during their developing years, the more likely they are to have a higher "Intelligence Quotient".

You're currently stuck in some logic fallacy.

How would you explain 10 year olds attending ivy league schools then? What separates Albert Einstein, from Forest Gump (not real)? What they did as infants? Forest Gump (not real) didn't do as much? From the time Einstein was 5 he excelled over the other students, and had an uncanny ability to solve mathematical problems. How do you explain 5 year olds playing pianos? They are obviously gifted. They were born with these talents. You can't teach genius. It just happens. No one taught Lebron James how to be an amazing athlete, he was born that way. What separates the prehistoric man who decided to make his own tools, from the ones that didn't? He did more as a child? Children learn easily because their brains are still making new connections, but I'm not talking about learning, I'm talking about innovation.

derekeverett
March 18th, 2010, 02:47 AM
The way this poll is shaping up, I am getting a clearer understanding of why these forums frustrate me sometimes...

We all think we're fricken' geniuses! lol

Frak
March 18th, 2010, 02:50 AM
How would you explain 10 year olds attending ivy league schools then? What separates Albert Einstein, from Forest Gump (not real)? What they did as infants? Forest Gump (not real) didn't do as much? From the time Einstein was 5 he excelled over the other students, and had an uncanny ability to solve mathematical problems. How do you explain 5 year olds playing pianos? They are obviously gifted. They were born with these talents. You can't teach genius. It just happens. No one taught Lebron James how to be an amazing athlete, he was born that way. What separates the prehistoric man who decided to make his own tools, from the ones that didn't? He did more as a child? Children learn easily because their brains are still making new connections, but I'm not talking about learning, I'm talking about innovation.
Genetic variation is the foundation of evolution. Some have an easier time than others.

Post Monkeh
March 18th, 2010, 03:07 AM
some people are obviously just born gifted, but their gift has to be nurtured too.

there have been loads of cases of people who've been locked away during their childhood, or just basically been starved of any interaction. they usually end up not even being able to learn the most basic of things without a hell of a lot of work (i mean basic things like using a knife and fork, or where to go to the toilet)

now all these people didn't start their lives as animals, yet without the proper interaction at an early age they acted like it.
obviously nurture isn't everything, and nature is what makes people truely exceptional, but it's a big part that i think is underestimated a lot of the time - if albert einstein had been a caveman he may not have even been the one who discovered how to make tools - people have talents for certain things, but if they never practice that talent, they'll never improve or make the most of it.

swoll1980
March 18th, 2010, 03:08 AM
I can't solve algebra equations in math class. Does this make me unintelligent? I never learned as a child, and I'm 30 years old now. My teacher worked overtime trying to explain how it works, but I just don't get it. It just looks like a bunch of random crap, I can't make any sense out of it. The teacher gives me the same problem in word form where x is a real object and y is a real object, I can solve the problem in my head in matter of seconds. I can't explain, in a mathematical form how I solved it. It just happens. Does this make me intelligent?

lisati
March 18th, 2010, 03:13 AM
I can't solve algebra equations in math class. Does this make me unintelligent? I never learned as a child, and I'm 30 years old now. My teacher worked overtime trying to explain how it works, but I just don't get it. It just looks like a bunch of random crap, I can't make any sense out of it. The teacher gives me the same problem in word form where x is a real object and y is a real object, I can solve the problem in my head in matter of seconds. I can't explain, in a mathematical form how I solved it. It just happens. Does this make me intelligent?

:) Good observation. Each of us is probably a unique mixture of being "gifted" (smart) in some way but not so able in other areas. I know Mrs Lisati is better in social situations than I am, but probably would hate having to even try to understand computer stuff.

swoll1980
March 18th, 2010, 03:13 AM
some people are obviously just born gifted, but their gift has to be nurtured too.

there have been loads of cases of people who've been locked away during their childhood, or just basically been starved of any interaction. they usually end up not even being able to learn the most basic of things without a hell of a lot of work (i mean basic things like using a knife and fork, or where to go to the toilet)

now all these people didn't start their lives as animals, yet without the proper interaction at an early age they acted like it.
obviously nurture isn't everything, and nature is what makes people truely exceptional, but it's a big part that i think is underestimated a lot of the time - if albert einstein had been a caveman he may not have even been the one who discovered how to make tools - people have talents for certain things, but if they never practice that talent, they'll never improve or make the most of it.

I understand that it has to be nurtured, which in a civilized society is rather easy. The ability to learn is crippled after a certain age, but the raw talent was there at the beginning. Maybe Frak, and I are at opposite extremes, and the truth is right in the middle.

Midnight Star
March 18th, 2010, 03:15 AM
I'm so clever...I think a "movie trailer" is where the stars get dressed.

NightwishFan
March 18th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I find such introspective lines of thought disturbing.

Phrea
March 18th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Ok, I voted: Less smart than average.
Just because this 'poll' lacks a good few things.

inobe
March 18th, 2010, 04:12 AM
some of the most intelligent people are the poorest !

why ?

gsmanners
March 18th, 2010, 07:14 AM
The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.

Paqman
March 18th, 2010, 09:30 AM
This is how IQ test work.

It's how IQ tests would like to work, if they were perfect. There's a lot of effort that goes into producing IQ tests that lack any kind of cultural or prior knowledge bias. Of course, the obvious criticism of such tests is that they only measure one aspect of intelligence. In the real world factors like knowledge, experience, linguistic skills and emotional stability have an enormous effect on an individual's ability to function highly in even the most cerebral tasks.

And i've met a lot of very intelligent people who have very poor dialectic and critical thinking skills and consequently end up talking a load of old codswallop. Raw brain power is one thing, but the ability to wield it well is just as important.

wojox
March 18th, 2010, 09:41 AM
some of the most intelligent people are the poorest !

why ?

It's a thin line between madman and genius. :D

inobe
March 18th, 2010, 10:28 AM
i think more intelligent people are less likely to take risks, risks that will discredit them, break laws etc..

also we have to consider the fact that intelligent people cannot interact very well with those with an average IQ and many will lower their standards to fit in.

i would imagine it being rather lonely without having to do that.

kyletstrand
March 18th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Im problee tha smurtist pursuhn een tha wurld.

Because I made a pidgin language based on modern 'Merican English?

Nah...who am I kidding?

Tristam Green
March 18th, 2010, 08:19 PM

Most 15-year-olds believe this 100%, just so you know.

NightwishFan
March 18th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I thought that as well when I was that age.

gsmanners
March 18th, 2010, 08:45 PM
i think more intelligent people are less likely to take risks, risks that will discredit them, break laws etc..

You mean like Darwin, Galileo, or Socrates?

Tristam Green
March 18th, 2010, 08:59 PM
You mean like Darwin, Galileo, or Socrates?

David Hahn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn)?

blueturtl
March 18th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I'd like to think what I lack in cleverness I make up for in wisdom (an example of wishful thinking perhaps). :D I never have a witty retort handy when I need one, but I'm clever enough to be disturbed.

RabbitWho
March 18th, 2010, 09:37 PM
The results of the poll say that either none of us know what average is or none of us realize that we're average or below average.

I can't tell the time.

JDShu
March 18th, 2010, 09:55 PM
The results of this poll are amusing. I wonder how many people taking the poll were answering seriously?

RabbitWho
March 18th, 2010, 10:01 PM
The results of this poll are amusing. I wonder how many people taking the poll were answering seriously?

So far... 21

doas777
March 18th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Add average.
nah, no one is average. thats why they call it an average, not a median. ;)

Post Monkeh
March 18th, 2010, 10:14 PM
people need to remember that a lot of computer geeks think highly of themselves because people are always asking them for help.
plus most people on the internet are crazy

produce101
March 18th, 2010, 11:18 PM
people need to remember that a lot of computer geeks think highly of themselves because people are always asking them for help.

Good point. It really all comes down on the way you look at it.

NightwishFan
March 18th, 2010, 11:21 PM
I do not like the majority of the Internet. I see it as a tool for communication. I use do my computer tasks just fine off-line.

lisati
March 18th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I'd like to think what I lack in cleverness I make up for in wisdom (an example of wishful thinking perhaps). :D I never have a witty retort handy when I need one, but I'm clever enough to be disturbed.
I like that! :)

I have a related problem: my in-laws think I'm clever with computers. I've been round long enough to know that I don't know as much as I'd like to think I do. Perhaps the smart ones are those who are able to make a lot of money off those who know less!

yester64
March 19th, 2010, 12:16 AM
wow, most people think of themself as smarter than the rest of us. Interessting.
I voted for less smart since i believe that there are smarter people out there then me.
And how can you say anyway. Its subjective.

blur xc
March 19th, 2010, 12:41 AM
wow, most people think of themself as smarter than the rest of us. Interessting.
I voted for less smart since i believe that there are smarter people out there then me.
And how can you say anyway. Its subjective.

Maybe most are answering relative to their peer groups? If you hang out with complete idiots and morons, a marginally smart guy might think he's a genius.

BM

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 19th, 2010, 12:53 AM
I'm not smart or clever; however, I am persistent. I keep trying to get something to work, often not knowing what I am doing. Through trial and error I get something to work and document what I did. People at work think I am smart because I can get things working. I am usually just copying and pasting form my document of what worked after persistent attempts.

ankspo71
March 19th, 2010, 01:00 AM
I think I'm a little below average. As far as computers go, I appear to be better than average to the people around me (relatives etc) but that is because I take notes on everything I accomplish like the poster above this post said. I am also not afraid to try new things, which is what I think is holding the people around me back from being skilled with computers.

weichimaster
March 19th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Maybe most are answering relative to their peer groups? If you hang out with complete idiots and morons, a marginally smart guy might think he's a genius.

BM

I tried to specify that people should rank themselves relative to the community cafe.

I should have specified relative to others taking the poll, of course.

On an unrelated note, Perelman has won the Millenium prize (http://www.claymath.org/poincare/millenniumPrizeFull.pdf). Does he know he's won, and is so will he accept the $1,000,000? (My guesses are no and no.)

audiomick
March 19th, 2010, 01:02 AM
My 2 cents worth:
I believe
Intelligence is not the same as Knowledge is not the same as Wisdom.

Intelligent does not always equal Successful
Successful definitely does not always equal Intelligent

My favourite author, Terry Pratchett, wrote in one of his many books of the type of success that comes from being too stupid to realise that you might fail. I have met people that this applies to...

JDShu
March 19th, 2010, 02:47 AM
My favourite author, Terry Pratchett, wrote in one of his many books of the type of success that comes from being too stupid to realise that you might fail. I have met people that this applies to...

I think I've read that one. I've actually never met anybody like this, but its impressive to me. Hard work is far more admirable than intelligence in any case.

dinamic1
March 19th, 2010, 02:52 AM
i are pretty spoopid )

GeoPrude
March 19th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Community Cafe

Now is the chance for you to vote on your own cleverness! Do you think you are more intelligent than the average Community Cafe poster, or less intelligent? For the pedants, I'm defining average as the median.

I'll go first, and vote myself less smart. (I have a feeling it may be an unloved option.)

I can't read.

the yawner
March 19th, 2010, 03:43 AM
I can't right.

tilixibr
March 19th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Im kinda smart in some stuff, but not in others... which one should i choose?

matthew.ball
March 19th, 2010, 05:54 AM
I'm not very smart at all.

BinaryFeast
March 19th, 2010, 11:18 AM
In comparison with the other forumites: I don't know.
In comparison with the average person: I have a higher IQ than most, but lack much of what people term "common sense". I tend to come to my own conclusions, rather than listen to claims of other people. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. But you have to learn from your mistakes I guess.

RabbitWho
March 19th, 2010, 11:57 AM
In comparison with the other forumites: I don't know.
In comparison with the average person: I have a higher IQ than most, but lack much of what people term "common sense". I tend to come to my own conclusions, rather than listen to claims of other people. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. But you have to learn from your mistakes I guess.

Are you sure you have a high IQ?:

http://xkcd.com/715/

Anyway i think lacking common sense can be great, if you read "Bill Brysons a short history of nearly everything" you realise that all the geniuses that made the world what it is experimented with a million idiotic things that could never possibly have worked before they reached the right thing. For example one man died of lead poisoning because he had to know what everything in his lab tasted like.

That's something humble optimistic and successful people say and stupid arrogant and pessimistic people believe.
I'm not saying that's what you are, I'm just saying that's the nature of the quote.