PDA

View Full Version : Open Source Government communication

pompeyjohn
March 12th, 2006, 04:25 AM
Hi there,

I am putting together an article which I have interest in from a major UK newspaper. The newspaper in question has recently started a campaign to make government collected information freely available. At present in the UK once a local council has collated information about postal codes in its region, it will then have to pay a license fee to a commercial organisation to display this information. In the US there is no such system. Government collected information is (or rather should) be freely available.

Well, I am coming to this from a slightly different angle. I would like to highlight the importance of open communication between citizen and Government free from commercial obligation.

To those that are unaware, the Norwegian Government have recently announced that "Proprietary formats will no longer be acceptable in communication between citizens and government" ... and are in the process of massively restructuring the workings of the Public sector in Norway.

There is a lovely piece about it here (http://www.andwest.com/weblog/tatle/agenda/2005/06/27/Norwegian_Minister_Proprietary_Standards_No_Longer _Acceptable_in_Communication_with_Government.html)

Which contains the comment:

“Without support for open standard formats, Microsoft will rapidly make itself irrelevant as supplier to both public sector, businesses and private persons, as they all have the need to communicate electronically with the government in the future.”

So, I am looking for some help. If you have read this far, I expect it is because you are interested in the subject. If this is the case and you know of any links that might be of use, or have any comments or suggestions then I would dearly like to read them. Or perhaps you have a friend that you could suggest this to?

All comments/suggests/links/hints/tips/whatever very much appreciated.

thanks

john

Leo_01
March 12th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Freely avaliable?
Is there going to be a body or of gov group which control how others uses this data?

Zeroedout
March 12th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Well, the ODF contraversy going on is something to look at. There have been quite a few stories of firms, agencies switching from MS Office and IE to Open Office and Firefox. Check the free software foundations website for the greatest moral arguemnts you can find ( www.fsf.org I think). Richard Stallman is a VERY good writer, and though he seems to come off extremely strong (I thought this when I first read stuff), he actually makes some extremly convincing arguemnts. Oh, and I guess you could always point to NSA linux for, "jeebus, the americans think it's good too!"

pompeyjohn
March 28th, 2006, 02:05 PM
I thought some of you may be interested to see how this is moving along. I have posted about this on my blog starting post here, just keep clicking next (http://www.midfieldmaestro.com/?p=121).

cheers