PDA

View Full Version : Feds using social networks

Georgia boy
March 16th, 2010, 08:42 PM
http://ww2.cox.com/myconnection/arizona/today/news/science-and-tech/article.cox?moduleType=apNews&articleId=D9EFTCDO2

An interesting article.

Tom

Post Monkeh
March 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM
todays criminals are really dumb

Tristam Green
March 16th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Considering that there are gobs of people now who will accept any friend invite or follower on Twitter or Facebook in an effort to expand their e-cred, this doesn't surprise me.

"Don't talk to strangers" didn't end at age 7, folks.

oldsoundguy
March 16th, 2010, 09:02 PM
There are some on the social nets that think the more friends they accumulate the better ... NOT. I get requests all the time and IF I do not recognize the individual or can not associate the individual to at least 3 other friends, I send them a mail with: "where have we met?" question. Insufficient answer and they get blocked.

The feds are also trolling for perverts.

It works this way:
You get a friends request from some girl that you do not know, and the PICTURES shows her as "marginal" in age. You do not KNOW this girl at all.
Accept, and all of a sudden you start getting inappropriate and suggestive messages. And they get more specific as the days go by.
A pervert would jump at the chance.
The "girl" is a 36 year old cop!

SquirmyDude
March 16th, 2010, 09:07 PM
So, if the Feds are hanging out in Ubuntu Forums, does that mean Bill gates gets fewer tax dollars? ;)

tgalati4
March 16th, 2010, 09:11 PM
The First Rule of Fight Club: Do not talk about Fight Club.

Sir.

blueshiftoverwatch
March 17th, 2010, 08:59 AM
I'm currently in the process of deleting my myspace. I replaced all the fields with a bunch of random letters and numbers and plan to keep it up there for a few months first though. I figure, this way if any web crawlers have a cached version of my page they will have updated the cached version by that time with my dummy version.

Khakilang
March 17th, 2010, 09:19 AM
So, if the Feds are hanging out in Ubuntu Forums, does that mean Bill gates gets fewer tax dollars? ;)

Or one of us could be a mole for Microsoft.;)

scouser73
March 18th, 2010, 05:15 PM
It's not surprising that the Intelligence agencies use Social networks these days, it's a natural progression from human interaction to Cyber intelligence.

chris200x9
March 18th, 2010, 06:01 PM
man I got to go change the job field on my myspace, I put crack dealer :\

_h_
March 18th, 2010, 06:05 PM
The feds are also trolling for perverts.

It works this way:
You get a friends request from some girl that you do not know, and the PICTURES shows her as "marginal" in age. You do not KNOW this girl at all.
Accept, and all of a sudden you start getting inappropriate and suggestive messages. And they get more specific as the days go by.
A pervert would jump at the chance.
The "girl" is a 36 year old cop!

Entrapment and false identification, gotta love it.

rottentree
March 18th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I'm currently in the process of deleting my myspace. I replaced all the fields with a bunch of random letters and numbers and plan to keep it up there for a few months first though. I figure, this way if any web crawlers have a cached version of my page they will have updated the cached version by that time with my dummy version.

:D (I thought there was a feature which only allowed your friends to see your info)
Better cover the windows too they might be watching you!