PDA

View Full Version : For you visual learners out there... Google Video and Ubuntu!

aysiu
March 12th, 2006, 03:34 AM
Tired of cryptic commands people give you?

Even PDFs and webpages don't help? Even these forums don't help (doubtful, of course)?

You can now use Google Video to help you on your Ubuntu adventure. They have tutorials on installing dual boots, installing software... the list goes on and on. Enjoy!

mstlyevil
March 12th, 2006, 03:45 AM
That is very sweet aysiu. It will be a great asset for new users.

aysiu
March 12th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Well, if I'm helping people on these forums, the easiest way to do it is to just have them copy and paste commands I give them, but sometimes people learn better by watching videos!

As Malcolm X said, "... by any means necessary." Though, I don't think he was talking about Ubuntu Linux.

majikstreet
March 12th, 2006, 04:31 AM
yeah I've seen the dual boot vid.. that university team (can't remember which one it is) is awesome :D

Jucato
March 12th, 2006, 04:33 AM
I've watched the Ubuntu/Windows Dual Boot video. It was actually quite funny. Stereotypical geeky guys. :D

I wonder if there are downloadable versions available? And is the XGL video in spanish only?

aysiu
March 12th, 2006, 04:54 AM
I wonder if there are downloadable versions available? There's a download button... it says "for Windows/Mac," but you can download it.

Jucato
March 12th, 2006, 05:02 AM
cool! I didn't notice that last time I watched the Dual boot video (2 months ago). Thanks! :D

aysiu
March 12th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Right now I'm listening to the Q & A with Mark Shuttleworth. It's interesting to hear him talk about his history and the beginnings of Ubuntu...

... apparently I've been pronouncing Ubuntu incorrectly.

Jucato
March 12th, 2006, 05:25 AM
hahaha! I'm actually downloading that, too. I haven't heard Mark's voice. And I was just about to make a thread asking how Ubuntu is pronounced. Guess I won't have to do that anymore :D

Klaidas
March 12th, 2006, 11:45 AM
The dual boot video is cool ;) Now I'm watching Mark Shuttleworth - it appears I've been pronouncing Ubuntu as it has to be :)

fuscia
March 12th, 2006, 12:10 PM
how is it pronounced? ooboontoo? oobuntoo? youbuntoe?

woedend
March 12th, 2006, 12:30 PM
isn't it uh-bun-too? I think thats how he says it in the video but I havent seen it in a while.I was always saying yoo-bun-too and still do, even though its wrong i can't bring myself to say it right.

bjweeks
March 12th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I thought is was uh-bun-too or uh-boon-too. I still say both...

Jucato
March 12th, 2006, 01:01 PM
I'm pretty sure he says "oo-boon-too", with the accent on the "too". The "oo" sound is not that long as "ooooooo". :D (I played the first few seconds of the video again and again, with pumped up volume, just to be sure)

By the way, I'm presuming Mark is British?

bjweeks
March 12th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I'm pretty sure he says "oo-boon-too", with the accent on the "too". The "oo" sound is not that long as "ooooooo". :D (I played the first few seconds of the video again and again, with pumped up volume, just to be sure)

By the way, I'm presuming Mark is British?

South African I think.

Klaidas
March 12th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Ok.. I'm confused. Maybe I spell wrong too? :confused: I'll add a sound file

Jucato
March 12th, 2006, 01:35 PM
South African? I guess that would be his nationality right? I was just wondering because I couldn't place the accent that he has. :D

Btw, I think the one who introduced Mark at the beginning of the clip pronounced Ubuntu as "yoo-boon-too". :D

void_false
March 12th, 2006, 01:48 PM
HAHAHA. I was always was pronouncing UBUNTU right! And LINUX as Linus do. Yeah!
Proud to be russian! :cool: :cool: :cool:

majikstreet
March 12th, 2006, 06:36 PM
also, we can make videos similar to those (dunno if they can be uploaded on google videos though) with wink.. http://www.debugmode.com/wink/

read the manual first though.. you can't add audio (yet) though. I've made a few. One cool thing is that you can resize the videos so you can capture the whole screen but it's smaller (but of course it's a little distorted..)