PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Calculator App Alternative

SuperMike
March 16th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Is there a calculator app for Ubuntu and Gnome that works like this?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kz1ado92Sz1qz4rgr.png

I'm interested in something like that because the current paradigm of buttons you click for numbers just doesn't make sense with a mouse. It seems to me that most calculator apps for computers should be more like the image you see above, with perhaps buttons only for things you wouldn't normally think of using, such as cos, sin, 1/x, etc.

Simian Man
March 16th, 2010, 08:29 PM
There are a few calculator programs on Linux, most of which are more featureful than the Gnome one. There is Qalculate, which is quite popular.

I normally just run Python in a terminal for this kind of thing. If you know Python, this is hard to beat.

mcduck
March 16th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I'm quite sure you can actually just type the numbers from your numpad instead of clicking the buttons with your mouse, but I agree with above poster about Python (you don't really even need to know much Pythhon to use it as calculator).

And Qualculate is really nice as well, and insanely well featured & powerful, it's really hard to believe all the things it can do based on how simple the user interface looks like.. :)