PDA

View Full Version : Linux = Google Chrome Browser according to best buy.

dragos240
March 16th, 2010, 02:11 PM
So I went to best buy to get a USB keyboard and Monitor, and then I heard a woman say that "Oh this computer runs Linux, it's a totally different operating system." So I assumed that some of the laptops had Linux pre-installed. I asked her later where the laptop was (because I've never seen a preloaded Linux laptop before). She guided me to a computer running Windows 7, and she said that when you opened up this (chrome), that it was Linux. It seems that she thinks that a browser is the same as an operating system, another Best Buy fault it seems. Ah well, doesn't really matter.

_h_
March 16th, 2010, 02:15 PM
And you'd think to work at an electronics store, you'd have to know something about them, especially if you're assigned to a department (such as this case, the computer area).

t.rei
March 16th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Considering I have seen KDE screenshots on an article about how sleek windows 7 is on a rather sincere newspaper, you cant really blame anyone for misinformation and/or ignorance.

Too bad many people are getting 'upset' when corrected, as if being wrong is something bad. :/

This DOES remind me of the interview in the first episode of IT Crowd, though: "I'm gonna put you in IT, because it says on your cv you have alot of experience with computers."

dragos240
March 16th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I just said "Oh, well alright". I didn't really bother to correct her.

steveneddy
March 16th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I would have

*rolls eyes

*walked away

Frankly I can't believe that a large company like Best Buy doesn't have employees that are more knowledgeable than they actually are.

This is why Windows users are so confused all the time about anything computer related, they are getting fed a line constantly at every turn and possibly they cannot discern the difference between truth and fantasy.

whiskeylover
March 16th, 2010, 02:40 PM
We should have a separate "Best Buy Bashing" forum : )

Post Monkeh
March 16th, 2010, 02:43 PM
people who work in shops are professionals, we should listen to them, they know what they're talking about

dragos240
March 16th, 2010, 02:44 PM
people who work in shops are professionals, we should listen to them, they know what they're talking about

I completely agree </sarcasm>

swoll1980
March 16th, 2010, 02:45 PM
You guys have never been wrong before? Anyways, why does it matter? The people that know better, know better. The people that are computer illiterate will always be that way. Doesn't matter what the people at Bestbuy tell them.

swoll1980
March 16th, 2010, 02:47 PM

People that work at Bestbuy are not professionals. They are high school kids making minimum wage. At least the ones at my Bestbuy are.

_h_
March 16th, 2010, 02:49 PM

You'd be surprised, which is why I have to disagree with this statement partly.

Post Monkeh
March 16th, 2010, 02:52 PM
this forum really needs a sarcasm smiley.

anyway, let me explain in laymans terms.

people in shops know nothing. they work to earn money, not because they're interested in what they're doing. the problems arise when people express the attitude i did above (ie that they must know what they're talking about by virtue of working in a shop) most of us know this isn't true. people who know nothing about computers don't know any better so they're easily misled.

you're all so intuitive.

Simian Man
March 16th, 2010, 02:53 PM
People that work at Bestbuy are not professionals. They are high school kids making minimum wage. At least the ones at my Bestbuy are.

You'd be surprised, which is why I have to disagree with this statement partly.

You guys fail at sarcasm detection I think.

swoll1980
March 16th, 2010, 02:57 PM
You guys fail at sarcasm detection I think.

For the most part sarcasm doesn't exist on the internet. Now that I reread it, I see it was sarcasm. With out tone, and gestures to go on, sarcasm often falls flat on it's face.

whiskeylover
March 16th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Sarcasm has compatibility issues with the internet.

Post Monkeh
March 16th, 2010, 03:02 PM
the art of sarcasm requires doing it in as serious a way as possible, however i'll have to bear in mind that there are a lot of americans on this forum.
the americans are, of course, renowned for their understanding of british humour and sarcasm. ( ;) )

swoll1980
March 16th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I think looking at who is making the post would help a little. I know from post Post Monkeh has made in the past, that he wouldn't be stupid enough to actually think that.

sau99ms
March 16th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Another Brit here lapping up the American humour.....no, seriously! I lived in Toronto for a year and came back to the UK - yeah I know I'm crazy. Try working there! Anyway, people who work in computer shops like BestBuy or PC world are really frustrating. They mostly know next to nothing about computers except for the odd one or two. It's the older people I feel sorry for. I've overheard so much crap being fed to people that on a couple of occasions I've actually stepped in and told the sales guy to tell the truth! I'm determined that no-one in my family is going to get ripped off or lied to and there should be a campaign to prevent people getting mis-sold. Maybe I should set up a facebook page......all those in favour say Aye!

sau99ms
March 16th, 2010, 03:08 PM
the art of sarcasm requires doing it in as serious a way as possible, however i'll have to bear in mind that there are a lot of americans on this forum.
the americans are, of course, renowned for their understanding of british humour and sarcasm. ( ;) )

I second that!

Simian Man
March 16th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Sarcasm is more difficult on the internet, but there are still clues :).

Post Monkeh
March 16th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Another Brit here lapping up the American humour.....no, seriously! I lived in Toronto for a year and came back to the UK - yeah I know I'm crazy. Try working there! Anyway, people who work in computer shops like BestBuy or PC world are really frustrating. They mostly know next to nothing about computers except for the odd one or two. It's the older people I feel sorry for. I've overheard so much crap being fed to people that on a couple of occasions I've actually stepped in and told the sales guy to tell the truth! I'm determined that no-one in my family is going to get ripped off or lied to and there should be a campaign to prevent people getting mis-sold. Maybe I should set up a facebook page......all those in favour say Aye!

i've heard it here in the uk too, it's not just an american thing.
i think half the time it's people who genuinely don't have a clue and are telling people things that, for whatever reason, they think are the truth. in this case, the girl was most likely confusing chrome browser with chrome os - this is the fault of best buy for not providing the right training.
however, i've come across people in the past who will just tell people whatever it takes to get a sale, i'd imagine a lot of this still goes on too.

in this case though it just sounds like the girl was confused, obviously they don't get much training

Shpongle
March 16th, 2010, 03:21 PM
the people in those shops are usually on commission well in pc world anyway and they'll say anything to sell salt to a slug. its just a job at the end of the day , they are "trained" to sell which is why they recommend windows blah blah blah , but you all know this already

sau99ms
March 16th, 2010, 03:22 PM
i've heard it here in the uk too, it's not just an american thing.
i think half the time it's people who genuinely don't have a clue and are telling people things that, for whatever reason, they think are the truth. in this case, the girl was most likely confusing chrome browser with chrome os - this is the fault of best buy for not providing the right training.
however, i've come across people in the past who will just tell people whatever it takes to get a sale, i'd imagine a lot of this still goes on too.

in this case though it just sounds like the girl was confused, obviously they don't get much training
I try not to go shopping too much now I'm back in Blighty so I don't hear it as much but I'm betting it's still prevalent. I'd love to see PCs with ubuntu pre-installed on in the shops. I know Dell offer the option but it's not common knowledge. I'd also like to see local and central government make the switch from MS to any Linux distro (pref Ubuntu)...think of the money we (the taxpayer) would save! Anyway, I digress....back to work for me! :(

Groucho Marxist
March 16th, 2010, 03:24 PM
And you'd think to work at an electronics store, you'd have to know something about them, especially if you're assigned to a department (such as this case, the computer area).

The employees don't have to know what they're doing in "box stores" like Best Buy; they're designed to be easily trained and replaceable.

Tristam Green
March 16th, 2010, 03:28 PM
1.) Don't let me get started on Best Buy. I'm embattled with them over a matter of ten dollars at the moment.

2.) Know your posters, folks. Post_Monkeh posted that; it was sarcastic. Imagine if I'd have written it; there would have been a tirade.

CharlesA
March 16th, 2010, 03:49 PM
2.) Know your posters, folks. Post_Monkeh posted that; it was sarcastic. Imagine if I'd have written it; there would have been a tirade.

Wouldn't it have been blasphemy?

I kid!

Most of the people working at Best Buy (or any computer store tbh) are just there for the money. I doubt they give a rat's backside for the stuff they are selling.

I have met a few good salespeople who actually know the product they are selling, and it's a relief at times, since I don't know everything. :p

_h_
March 16th, 2010, 03:50 PM
The employees don't have to know what they're doing in "box stores" like Best Buy; they're designed to be easily trained and replaceable.

I applied for a job to Circuit City and Bestbuy in the last few years, and seemingly during the interview with the manager he/she have asked me if I had an experience with electronics or knowledge about them.

CharlesA
March 16th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I applied for a job to Circuit City and Bestbuy in the last few years, and seemingly during the interview with the manager he/she have asked me if I had an experience with electronics or knowledge about them.

Knowledge isn't everything. The thing that gets you the job is customer service experience and the ability to sell products.

Ability to deal with people >= tech knowledge - at least in those types of stores.

sandyd
March 16th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Ive had people think my KDE 4.4 installation was windows 7..... :S

wipeout140
March 16th, 2010, 04:21 PM
the people in those shops are usually on commission well in pc world anyway and they'll say anything to sell salt to a slug. its just a job at the end of the day , they are "trained" to sell which is why they recommend windows blah blah blah , but you all know this already

That is 100% correct, while waiting for my bus i had 20minutes to waste so i went into Curry.Digital basically PC world lite (same parent company) and the guy tried and failed many times to sell me Norton 360 Anti Virus for Windows even when i corrected him it would not run on the Linux asus eee PC

Johnsie
March 16th, 2010, 05:08 PM
They employ sales people, not nerds... If they employed nerds then they wouldn't make any sales because most nerds are not good at communicating technical things.

There's two types of customer in those places:

1. The person who doesnt know alot about computers. They ask for help and can be sold almost anything as long as it looks nice (almost like an apple customer).

2. The nerd - Already knows what he is looking for and avoids the sales rep unless he wants a laugh.

The purpose of the sales rep isn't to advise people, it's to get a sale out of type #1 customers ;-)

tad1073
March 16th, 2010, 05:34 PM
http://02d9656.netsoljsp.com/SarcMark/modules/user/commonfiles/loadhome.do

doas777
March 16th, 2010, 05:49 PM
The purpose of the sales rep isn't to advise people, it's to get a sale out of type #1 customers ;-)

that is the purpose from the company's perspective certianly. however we as a society wouldn't put up with sales people if we didn't think we were getting something out of it. so from the customers perspective, the csrs purpose is to advise and assist.

I'm reminded of an ep of that 70's show. red was working part time in bobs shop, but was having trouble selling blenders because he would abuse anyone who didn't know what they wanted beyond the color they wanted. in the end, kitty reminded him that it is his job to help the customer find the right model, and to fill in the gaps when color was all the input he could get.

d_skillz
March 16th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Really hillarious :)

poisonkiller
March 16th, 2010, 05:58 PM
http://02d9656.netsoljsp.com/SarcMark/modules/user/commonfiles/loadhome.do
That would be best to use, if everybody knew what SarcMark looked like. Unfortunately mostly computer-literate people know/use it. My solution was to use this (http://images.coolchaser.com/themes/t/-rlv.zazzle.com-awesome_smiley_photo_sculpture_photosculpture-p153359710604909267220_210.jpg). Represents sarcasm quite well imho. :)

wojox
March 16th, 2010, 06:03 PM
She probably thinks her cd drive is a coffee cup holder. :D

CharlesA
March 16th, 2010, 06:13 PM
That would be best to use, if everybody knew what SarcMark looked like. Unfortunately mostly computer-literate people know/use it. My solution was to use this (http://images.coolchaser.com/themes/t/-rlv.zazzle.com-awesome_smiley_photo_sculpture_photosculpture-p153359710604909267220_210.jpg). Represents sarcasm quite well imho. :)

http://images.coolchaser.com/themes/t/-rlv.zazzle.com-awesome_smiley_photo_sculpture_photosculpture-p153359710604909267220_210.jpg

Epic smiley is epic.

MasterNetra
March 16th, 2010, 06:52 PM
You guys have never been wrong before? Anyways, why does it matter? The people that know better, know better. The people that are computer illiterate will always be that way. Doesn't matter what the people at Bestbuy tell them.

At some point we all were computer illiterate. So how can you say that those who are will always be? If that was true you yourself would still be computer illiterate as would everyone on this forum....Technically this forum wouldn't even exist.

swoll1980
March 16th, 2010, 07:02 PM
At some point we all were computer illiterate. So how can you say that those who are will always be? If that was true you yourself would still be computer illiterate as would everyone on this forum....Technically this forum wouldn't even exist.

I'm talking about those 40 + year olds that just don't seem to understand anything about it, and don't want to know. Non-technical might be a better word. I don't know.

wojox
March 16th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Don't mess with swoll1980 or he'll unleash the ponies on you. :D

fouserge
March 16th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I worked at Target (usually in Electronics) for about 3 years. There is absolutely no technical training. Basically when you get there your told to learn how to bullsht. So I would tell people things I knew when asked like when it was a computer question however when I got a camera question I was as useful as a donkey but they thought I knew what I was saying and that's how it goes. I think BestBuy computer dept may be on commission but where I was it all just hourly wage. Hence why I would typically tell people to buy the stuff online. For example, hdmi cables are $5 on NewEgg.com while they are 40 or 50 at Target.

earthpigg
March 16th, 2010, 07:29 PM

Geeksquad dudes make $20/hour where i live. The nearest well-stocked hardware place to me is BestBuy, so i go there from time to time. $20/hour works when they charge $60 for a 15-30 minute 'diagnosis'. that's around $120/hour. the A+ Certification Printing Press is fully operational.

It makes me sad when i overhear these guys raping folks from the baby boomer generation. (not trying to stereotype, but that is what it most often tends to be.)

P1umb3r
March 16th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I work at a Best Buy, not in the computer department though. You can't really blame the employees in that section for their ignorance, it is mostly the company's fault. Most of the time people working in computers were just assigned to that department without asking to be, and told to learn on the fly -- and by learn, I mean learn which Microsoft products most people would want, and how to goad people into buying those with their computer. The "training" they get from the company is more to make them seem knowledgable to the average person wanting to buy a computer than to actually train them in how computers work.

MasterNetra
March 16th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I'm talking about those 40 + year olds that just don't seem to understand anything about it, and don't want to know. Non-technical might be a better word. I don't know.

I think a better word is Technophobe.

gymophett
March 16th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Epic fail. *facepalm*

TheNessus
March 16th, 2010, 07:52 PM
ok, it's easy to establish the source of this lady's mistake.

Linux = free, open source. Google Chrome = also free, open source. She thinks Linux IS 'free and open source', that it's another name for it.

It's not complete ignorance, just a mistake.

Objekt
March 16th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Nothing new. Minimum wage = minimum knowledge. I avoid Best Buy if possible.

Sometimes it's not, like when your router dies, and you don't want to wait a week (and pay for Internet service you can't use) for a new one to ship from Newegg.

Almost everything in Best Buy is overpriced, especially accessories. HDMI cables are a common ripoff ($50 @ BB, $5 online).

More importantly, I won't pay their inflated prices to be treated like a criminal by their receipt checkers. They apparently think I can somehow slip an HDTV in my pants in the 5 feet between the cashier, and the door.

MasterNetra
March 16th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Nothing new. Minimum wage = minimum knowledge. I avoid Best Buy if possible.

Sometimes it's not, like when your router dies, and you don't want to wait a week (and pay for Internet service you can't use) for a new one to ship from Newegg.

Almost everything in Best Buy is overpriced, especially accessories. HDMI cables are a common ripoff ($50 @ BB, $5 online).

More importantly, I won't pay their inflated prices to be treated like a criminal by their receipt checkers. They apparently think I can somehow slip an HDTV in my pants in the 5 feet between the cashier, and the door.

Well you never know when someone will sneak desktop computer + monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers, through the doors hidden in their spring jacket. :p

Chame_Wizard
March 16th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I feel really sorry for the misinformed customers.:o

Bölvağur
March 16th, 2010, 09:14 PM
For the most part sarcasm doesn't exist on the internet. Now that I reread it, I see it was sarcasm. With out tone, and gestures to go on, sarcasm often falls flat on it's face.

I always talk in monotone voice.
Only strangers find it difficult to detect my sarcastic comments because they actually are used absurd statements like "best buy employees are professionals at what they do"

ericmc783
March 16th, 2010, 11:42 PM
just replace the word "linux" with "open source" and we have a winner. lol

Kenny_Strawn
March 16th, 2010, 11:57 PM
The Chrome browser is NOT Linux. Chrome OS? Maybe....

Post Monkeh
March 17th, 2010, 12:04 AM
The Chrome browser is NOT Linux. Chrome OS? Maybe....

yes it is!

JECHO
March 17th, 2010, 12:18 AM
yes it is!

Yes, yes it is! Duh.

andras artois
March 17th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Dear Government,
please take more money out of me so I can provide just about adequate or even severely inadequate education to the population of the western world therefore making them into less productive members of society and further how stupid people are becoming.

Jeff Anthony
March 17th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Just so there's no confusion Google Chrome OS IS built on the Linux Kernel.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html

dragos240
March 17th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Yes, but she was talking about the browser.

szymon_g
March 17th, 2010, 03:35 AM
was she hot ;)?

dragos240
March 17th, 2010, 03:37 AM
was she hot ;)?

Meh, I forget, not really, just average, and besides, I'm too young.

Kenny_Strawn
March 17th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Well, considering that the OS is really nothing more than the Browser on top of a bare Ubuntu terminal (normally what you would call JeOS), the browser can count as a DE....

sau99ms
March 18th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Ive had people think my KDE 4.4 installation was windows 7..... :S

Ditto! I had a work colleague round just yesterday before we went on a co-visit and he remarked how my Kubuntu desktop looked like Windows 7. I was very quick to correct him....and he was amazed at my compiz cube!

Will.V.King
March 18th, 2010, 01:38 PM
If I was there, I will tell her, you should input the "http://ubuntuforums.og" into the address text area on Google Chrome Browser, and press Enter immediately. Then you can say you've gotten into the world of Ubuntu~:popcorn:

Psumi
March 18th, 2010, 02:00 PM
So I went to best buy to get a USB keyboard and Monitor, and then I heard a woman say that "Oh this computer runs Linux, it's a totally different operating system." So I assumed that some of the laptops had Linux pre-installed. I asked her later where the laptop was (because I've never seen a preloaded Linux laptop before). She guided me to a computer running Windows 7, and she said that when you opened up this (chrome), that it was Linux. It seems that she thinks that a browser is the same as an operating system, another Best Buy fault it seems. Ah well, doesn't really matter.

That's because ChromeOS, which is just a browser with apps to make it look like an OS, is advertised as linux.

nerdy_kid
March 18th, 2010, 02:32 PM

hey im highschool and not stupid ;)

madjr
March 18th, 2010, 06:11 PM
chromeOS will eventually aggravate the issue LOL

people will think google = linux, which isnt necessarily a bad thing if the masses r gona use androind and chromeOS

Jeff Anthony
March 18th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I think Google would move to buy Ubuntu before trying to recreate perfection :D

Psumi
March 18th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I think Google would move to buy Ubuntu before trying to recreate perfection :D

*goes to Fedora, because ChromeOS sucks.*

Kenny_Strawn
March 18th, 2010, 11:34 PM
hey im highschool and not stupid ;)

Okay, well, I am in high school (a junior at El Toro HS), and my English is very good.....

Yes, if you want to look smart, you have to use proper English (Mods, I am not insulting, just educating).

Kenny_Strawn
March 19th, 2010, 02:52 AM
That's because ChromeOS, which is just a browser with apps to make it look like an OS, is advertised as linux.

Actually, Chrome OS has a Linux kernel and a bare Ubuntu terminal as well to back it up...

Yes, and GNOME Shell also is looking more and more like Chrome OS, if you use the Ricotz PPA. You'll find that the All Applications overview submenu is all icons, no descriptions, like it is in Chrome OS.

#11u-max
March 19th, 2010, 03:24 AM
If I was there, I will tell her, you should input the "http://ubuntuforums.og" into the address text area on Google Chrome Browser, and press Enter immediately. Then you can say you've gotten into the world of Ubuntu~:popcorn:
im sorry, i lol'd a little at this mistake.. then grammar nazi mode kicked in..

and i agree w/ kenny.. if you want to look smart, you have to use proper english ;)

KiwiNZ
March 19th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Remember not everyone who visits or is a member of Ubuntu Forums has English as their primary language.

Also there may also be disabilities that affect the members ability to post in the manner you may think is correct.

ndefontenay
March 19th, 2010, 03:43 AM
They employ sales people, not nerds... If they employed nerds then they wouldn't make any sales because most nerds are not good at communicating technical things.

There's two types of customer in those places:

1. The person who doesnt know alot about computers. They ask for help and can be sold almost anything as long as it looks nice (almost like an apple customer).

2. The nerd - Already knows what he is looking for and avoids the sales rep unless he wants a laugh.

+1

The best group 1 could do is: Go buy the computer together with people from group 2.

But people from group 2 after trying to help will usually stop because it gets so frustrating. As stated above, people from group 1 doesn't really care what's good. Then want the bling! (Such as msn bloatware with all the shiny glitter ...)

Minipalmer
March 19th, 2010, 03:57 AM
My hypothesis on OP is that someone tried to explain the new Chrome OS to this lady, who then took it to mean the browser. Then when she saw the browser, she equated it with the Chrome OS.

PROBLEM SOLV3D GUYS

3rdalbum
March 19th, 2010, 05:47 AM
I recently had a friend of a friend of a friend ask me if I could reinstall Vista for him, because the computer was getting bogged down with all sorts of stuff. I made the recovery discs and ran them, then applied all the updates and stuff, and charged him $120.

He told me that he'd asked a computer store if they could do it. They told him that they couldn't reinstall Vista.

jcris
March 19th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Is this sarcasm thing in the repos, and what version should I install?

markbuntu
March 19th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Sarcasm is very buggy and missing too many dependencies to run on ubuntu. libsense ofhumor and libirony have been deprecated.

Psumi
March 20th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Sarcasm is very buggy and missing too many dependencies to run on ubuntu. libsense ofhumor and libirony have been deprecated.

And some people can't handle sarcasm because they don't know what to look for.

Like me!

RabbitWho
March 20th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I'm sorry, I lol'd a little at this mistake.. then grammar Nazi mode kicked in..

I agree w/ Kenny: if you want to look smart, you have to use proper English ;)

Funny.. because I corrected all the mistakes in your post and you still look like an idiot.

NightwishFan
March 20th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I have had mixed experiences in Best Buy. A gentleman that helping me pick a laptop asked what I wanted, and picked one that was exactly to my specifications. He said: honesty is the only way.

When I went with a friend to purchase his laptop, they buzzed around us like vultures. Informing us it would be a waste not to spend money on a high end machine. told us that we should definitely buy Antivirus and setup from Geek Squad. I told him we have our own geek squad up here, and I doubt we need to run your antivirus in Wine. It is a blessing being an informed customer.

Kenny_Strawn
March 20th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Funny.. because I corrected all the mistakes in your post and you still look like an idiot.

IMHO, I saw those capitalization mistakes myself...