PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kde wont logout, shutdown or anything, unless its with the command line...

AndeeeUk
March 16th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Hi,

I am very confused as to what is going on. I have all the applications installed for the shutdown and logout but when i click them, they dont seem to be doing anything?

Any feedback would be great?

Thanks
Andy

matrix14
March 16th, 2010, 01:24 PM
@AndeeUK:

It seemed likely KDE 4x bugs. It also happen when I try Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex. Some other Kubuntu users also got this trouble. You may report it to Ubuntu Launchpad.

AndeeeUk
March 16th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Hi matrix14,

thanks for the reply. Is there any known fix for this? this is not a minor bug and has been reported by many users, i would hope there is a fix for this somewhere?

Thanks
Andy

t.rei
March 16th, 2010, 02:13 PM
are you on a kubuntu install or have you installed kde to an ubuntu system?

I think there was something about 'what login manager you use' that used to affect these options.

If you are running gdm: try running 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm' in terminal, pick kdm from the menu that shows up and reboot.

matrix14
March 16th, 2010, 03:38 PM
@t.rei:

I have installed Kubuntu 8.10 on different PC, but than I got such trouble. 2 week's ago I also helped my neighbor to install Kubuntu 9.10, but he then got similar problem.
However, I should have to try what you suggested, in case I don't really expert to use KDE 4.x, as I am using ubuntu 8.04 (gnome) for daily works. THX...

Chame_Wizard
March 16th, 2010, 09:17 PM
@OP Which Kubuntu do you use?

otherwise

sudo shutdown -h 0

moron
March 17th, 2010, 07:37 PM
This just started happening to me as well sometime Monday, March 15, 2010.
Running KDE 4.3.2 (according to hel- -> about KDE under Kubuntu 9.10). It's hard to gauge what exactly triggered it of course as I did not notice the machine had not shut down until the next morning.

The answer above is not a solution, only a temporary workaround.

There are a few bug reports blaming knotify and / or system sounds:

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=201569
http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=228005

The suggested work around for the bug above however did not help me, still looking to find the cause and solution.

Cheers

clappr
March 18th, 2010, 02:18 PM
After hours of fffing around ctrl-alt f12 shutdown my Acer Aspire netbook. What a pain in the ***. Kde plasma is awesome, but not practical and usable in its current state.

lykwydchykyn
March 18th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I had this problem and it turned out krunner was locked up. Apparently commands like shutdown, logout, lock screen, etc are processed through krunner.

You'll know it's this if alt-f2 also does nothing.

My solution was to kill and restart krunner:

pkill krunner && krunner &disown

What version are you on? This hasn't happened to me since I upgraded to 4.4.1.