PDA

View Full Version : School Project on Linux

OldMerovingian
March 16th, 2010, 01:33 AM
I am taking a math class in which we are required to write a paper on something mathematical. The teacher is pretty open to ideas and wants us to write on something we enjoy. I would like to write on Linux, but need a way to relate Linux to math.

I thought about doing a comparison on Linux vs other operating systems, but that seems a little bland and boring. Do any of you have ideas on a way to tie mathematics to Linux? It is going to be a short paper, maybe 2 pages. Any ideas are appreciated!

-M

crlang13
March 16th, 2010, 01:38 AM
So I take it the paper is supposed to be more of a qualitative discussion of mathematics (i.e. "How Calculus has affected science") rather than an analysis sort of thing (i.e. "New interpretations of traveling salesman problems and their applications")

This is straying from Linux specifically, but you may want to discuss a few different programming languages and their pros and cons for mathematical analysis...

OldMerovingian
March 16th, 2010, 01:41 AM
So I take it the paper is supposed to be more of a qualitative discussion of mathematics (i.e. "How Calculus has affected science") rather than an analysis sort of thing (i.e. "New interpretations of traveling salesman problems and their applications")

This is straying from Linux specifically, but you may want to discuss a few different programming languages and their pros and cons for mathematical analysis...

She really wasn't that specific. As long as it has some form of math involved in it, she doesn't care. It is an intro class on mathematical modes of thought.

That is a good idea, and actually would be good knowledge for me as well.

Shpongle
March 16th, 2010, 02:38 AM
and link it to linux by saying what language it was wrote in and how maths affected it

crlang13
March 16th, 2010, 05:42 AM
She really wasn't that specific. As long as it has some form of math involved in it, she doesn't care. It is an intro class on mathematical modes of thought.

That is a good idea, and actually would be good knowledge for me as well.

and relating to what DillByrne said, some background on binary and Boolean logic may be nice, but that's getting a bit big for a 2 page paper...

If you don't know about, Boolean logic is pretty awesome and a cornerstone of computing and binary.

earthpigg
March 16th, 2010, 06:11 AM
look at Unix, not Linux. Understanding the cutting edge of computer science in 1969 is probably a bit easier than looking at the cutting edge of CS represented in the 2.6 branch of Linux.

EDIT: nvm, don't look at unix OR linux. look at open source! as in:

-developed as a science (like math), not as a product.
-peer reviewed code. compare to peer reviewed mathematical proofs/journals. what does it take for a mathematical proof or law to be accepted, compared to what it takes for open source code to get accepted into the main branch of a project?

Mark Phelps
March 16th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Suggest you take a look at the linked Wiki page. I deals with operating systems kernels, including Linux, and has a section dealing with mathematics. You might find a topic there you can summarize in a couple of pages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel

earthpigg
March 16th, 2010, 06:22 PM
paper idea: Why Companies should be Banned from Advertising consumer-level products in Bits, and should be forced to advertise in Bytes.

-hard drive manufacturers
-ISPs
-etc