PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Chnage Desktop Environment

kazakore
March 16th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Installed Ubuntu Studio and it comes installed using Ghost. Generally going OK but tempted to try a few others, expecially Xfce as I so far have preferred Thunar over Nautilus (well in some areas at least) and it's seems a lighter package, which is good for production computers. Also KDE and Kdenlive seems to be one of the more recommended video editing programs (although I'm more from a music side I do dabble a little in video and animation.)

Don't see anything in the standard Add/Remove applications but do see what seems like it could be the packages in Synaptic.

If this is right does it install and change automatically? About the only thread I found with a Google search says to edit xsession in /etc/rc.conf which doesn't seem to exist on my install (but that thread is quite old.)

snowpine
March 16th, 2010, 12:48 AM
You can install Thunar from Synaptic, or from the command line, and use it in Gnome.

sudo apt-get install thunar

If you install other desktop envirnomnents/windows managers (Xfce/KDE/LXDE/Openbox/etc) you can switch back and forth between them from the GDM login screen. I briefly used Ubuntu Studio plus Fluxbox and it was very lightweight and cool. :)

kazakore
March 16th, 2010, 01:54 AM
As I said I've already installed thunar. Although I can't figure out how to make it the default, rather than using nautilus when clicking on something from Places.

Is the GDM the main log-in screen and I can just choose which to use from there once downloaded with Synaptic?

snowpine
March 16th, 2010, 02:54 AM
As I said I've already installed thunar. Although I can't figure out how to make it the default, rather than using nautilus when clicking on something from Places.

Is the GDM the main log-in screen and I can just choose which to use from there once downloaded with Synaptic?

Not sure about the nautilus/thunar question, but you are correct about GDM. :) There's a little "Sessions" selector where you can choose Gnome/KDE/Xfce/whatever.

kazakore
March 16th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Sorted, I'll give it a try tomorrow when I'm not so tired (or when I'm not so busy as have a lot to do next two days.)

Just tried to change title to Solved although I haven't actually tried it yet you have answered my questions but couldn't see the option, even after going to Advanced and editing my typo in the title (not sure somebody with my typing skills should really be using Linux!) How do you do it?