PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] is bootable partition necessary

dnoyeb
March 16th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I know what a partition is, but I have had a heck of a time trying to figure out if a partition MUST be bootable or not. I know in windows it must be. And windows expects only 1 bootable partition. However, when I run fdisk, I can set several partitions to be bootable.

What does this do? Do I need a bootable partition if I am using a bootloader like GRUB?

Thanks.

ajgreeny
March 16th, 2010, 01:00 AM
You do not need a boot flag for linux, if that is the question you are asking. For windows, yes you do, or it will refuse to boot.

dnoyeb
March 16th, 2010, 02:31 AM
That is the question. Thanks for the quick reply.

srs5694
March 16th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Actually, recent versions of Windows seem to be happy to boot with the active/bootable flag not set, at least when GRUB is involved. That flag is necessary for older versions of Windows (those based on DOS/Windows 9x/Me) and when using the DOS/Windows MBR boot loader code rather than GRUB or some other boot loaders.

oldfred
March 16th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Also some BIOS assume windows and will not boot unless there is a boot flag. If you have one of those BIOS you may still need to set a boot flag even though linux does not normally need it or use it.