PDA

View Full Version : "Verified by VISA"

spibou
March 15th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Most online shops in the U.K. participate in the stupid "Verified by VISA" scheme. (amazon.co.uk is a fortunate exception.) Every time I try to buy something I am being forwarded to a page where I have to register with "Verified by VISA". I've tried many times but I haven't met with success. Every time I get

We are sorry - there was an error. Please submit your information again.
So I was wondering , has anyone living in the U.K. managed to register for the scheme using a Linux computer ? If yes could you say which browser (including version) you were using ?

It's interesting to note that the help page for the scheme states:

Verified by Visa requires the use of Windows Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5, 6.0 or 7.0; Windows Netscape 7.1 and 7.2; Windows AOL 9; Windows Firefox 1.0 and Macintosh Safari.

You need a PC with Internet Explorer 5+ or Netscape 5+.

gradinaruvasile
March 15th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Firefox i think is a successor to Netscape 5. Maybe some custom user agent trick?
Firefox too is listed there.

spibou
March 15th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Firefox i think is a successor to Netscape 5. Maybe some custom user agent trick?
Firefox too is listed there.
True , but Firefox on Windows not Linux.

gradinaruvasile
March 15th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Well then try installing Firefox under Wine and see if it works. Might be some ActiveX control or something...

xir_
March 15th, 2010, 11:35 PM
i've had it fail the one time i've used it, didn't think much of it.

I hope this isn't the case otherwise i'm going to be calling my bank to complain.

Untitled_No4
March 15th, 2010, 11:36 PM
It works for me on Linux. It was a while ago when I set it up so I can't remember for sure what browser/version I used, but most likely it was Firefox 3.x on Linux since I haven't used Windows for quite a while now.

I also seem to remember it didn't work initially and I actually phoned Visa who told me to just press cancel without asking about my browser/OS. Sorry if it doesn't help much but just to let you know that it's not a Linux-related problem.

ajgreeny
March 15th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I have done it without a problem, and so has my wife I think, both using Ubuntu and Firefox.

ssam
March 15th, 2010, 11:53 PM
i don't like it. but it does work for me with firefox on linux.

kelvin spratt
March 16th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I live in the UK use it all the time on Linux no tricks needed just enable cookies Any browser,
You guys are doing something wrong if it does not work with Visa/Mastercard.
Same UK. Gov forms etc.

Fenris_rising
March 16th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I had this once. I think it was either ad block or no script that buggered me up.

Also I had to use opera for a time to get around my bank not being up to snuff with firefox browser. Hope you get it sorted.

regards

Fenris

djsroknrol
March 16th, 2010, 01:58 AM
The cancel button worked for me as well...it went right through.

Psumi
March 16th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I dislike buying online.

Swagman
March 16th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Yeah, works on our system although when we go to a new site we often forget to allow it in NoScript.

Nevon
March 16th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I'm not living in the UK, but my bank also had me sign up for Verified by VISA. I did so on Firefox in Ubuntu, without any problems.

skymera
March 16th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I've used Verified by Visa in Ubuntu when ordering a Pizza.

It worked and pizza was tasty.

spibou
March 25th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Since my last post I've downloaded the latest version of both Firefox and Opera but once again I couldn't register with "Verified by VISA". I kept getting the same message I mentioned in my opening post. I called my bank and they said that I should write my name in all lower case and it will work. It didn't :mad: But my bank apparently reset things somehow so now if I click on the "not register" button my transaction goes through so that's an improvement. But I'm glad to know that it's not a Linux specific thing , I was worried that the big companies were shafting Linux.

The cancel button worked for me as well...it went right through.
That's how it was for me in the beginning but I had reached a point where without registering I couldn't buy anything. So basically I could only buy online with companies which weren't participating in "Verified by VISA". But now I'm back to the situation where not registering allows the transaction to proceed. I assume it will only last for a limited number of transactions but so far so good.

BigSilly
March 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Just to confirm here too that Verified by Visa works on all our Linux computers. We do our shopping with Tesco every week and that throws up the verification process which is fine with Linux.

On a similar note someone told me that Photobucket doesn't work with Linux, but it's fine for me. :confused:

Psumi
March 25th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Just to confirm here too that Verified by Visa works on all our Linux computers. We do our shopping with Tesco every week and that throws up the verification process which is fine with Linux.

On a similar note someone told me that Photobucket doesn't work with Linux, but it's fine for me. :confused:

If it works for you, then it works for you.

It might not work for others.

BigSilly
March 25th, 2010, 09:18 PM
If it works for you, then it works for you.

It might not work for others.

No you misunderstand. I wasn't being supercilious or anything. I recently read somewhere that quite literally Photobucket was to cease to support Linux based OS's, but as I say it's seemingly still working. Perhaps incorrectly reported, or I've just maybe misunderstood.

Psumi
March 25th, 2010, 09:21 PM
No you misunderstand. I wasn't being supercilious or anything. I recently read somewhere that quite literally Photobucket was to cease to support Linux based OS's, but as I say it's seemingly still working. Perhaps incorrectly reported, or I've just maybe misunderstood.

I meant Verified by VISA.