PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu theme - last minute intervention

QwUo173Hy
March 15th, 2010, 10:12 PM
As some of you might be aware, there is some consternation over the direction the current theme is taking, for reasons varying from citings of lack of originality to people having reactions to the color purple (known as Aubergene in South Africa).

I know the devs and designers have their hands full - but I've listened to all the debate and I think I can satisfy a lot of users with a new design.

The design itself is pretty solid, but in case I've missed something in the actual proposal, some genuine critique is appreciated.

Please review the attached proposal before commenting.

Thank you.

AllRadioisDead
March 15th, 2010, 10:14 PM
A screenshot would be nice.

steindor2
March 15th, 2010, 10:19 PM
looks very nice, much better then light

standingwave
March 15th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I am probably the only user in the world who never had a problem with orange. It had the advantage that it wasn't a color claimed by Microsoft or Apple; it was uniquely Ubuntu. Maybe the underlying textures weren't the best but I never had a problem with the color per se. Orange (and it's various shades) always had kind of a no nonsense, industrial feel. And best of all, it was Ubuntu's brand.

Red is the color of fire and blood, so it is associated with energy, war, danger, strength, power, determination as well as passion, desire, and love.

Red is a very emotionally intense color. It enhances human metabolism, increases respiration rate, and raises blood pressure. It has very high visibility, which is why stop signs, stoplights, and fire equipment are usually painted red. In heraldry, red is used to indicate courage. It is a color found in many national flags.

Red brings text and images to the foreground. Use it as an accent color to stimulate people to make quick decisions; it is a perfect color for 'Buy Now' or 'Click Here' buttons on Internet banners and websites. In advertising, red is often used to evoke erotic feelings (red lips, red nails, red-light districts, 'Lady in Red', etc). Red is widely used to indicate danger (high voltage signs, traffic lights). This color is also commonly associated with energy, so you can use it when promoting energy drinks, games, cars, items related to sports and high physical activity.

Light red represents joy, sexuality, passion, sensitivity, and love.
Pink signifies romance, love, and friendship. It denotes feminine qualities and passiveness.
Dark red is associated with vigor, willpower, rage, anger, leadership, courage, longing, malice, and wrath.
Brown suggests stability and denotes masculine qualities.
Reddish-brown is associated with harvest and fall.

Orange combines the energy of red and the happiness of yellow. It is associated with joy, sunshine, and the tropics. Orange represents enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, encouragement, and stimulation.

To the human eye, orange is a very hot color, so it gives the sensation of heat. Nevertheless, orange is not as aggressive as red. Orange increases oxygen supply to the brain, produces an invigorating effect, and stimulates mental activity. It is highly accepted among young people. As a citrus color, orange is associated with healthy food and stimulates appetite. Orange is the color of fall and harvest. In heraldry, orange is symbolic of strength and endurance.

Orange has very high visibility, so you can use it to catch attention and highlight the most important elements of your design. Orange is very effective for promoting food products and toys.

Dark orange can mean deceit and distrust.
Red-orange corresponds to desire, sexual passion, pleasure, domination, aggression, and thirst for action.
Gold evokes the feeling of prestige. The meaning of gold is illumination, wisdom, and wealth. Gold often symbolizes high quality.

Yellow is the color of sunshine. It's associated with joy, happiness, intellect, and energy.

Yellow produces a warming effect, arouses cheerfulness, stimulates mental activity, and generates muscle energy. Yellow is often associated with food. Bright, pure yellow is an attention getter, which is the reason taxicabs are painted this color. When overused, yellow may have a disturbing effect; it is known that babies cry more in yellow rooms. Yellow is seen before other colors when placed against black; this combination is often used to issue a warning. In heraldry, yellow indicates honor and loyalty. Later the meaning of yellow was connected with cowardice.

Use yellow to evoke pleasant, cheerful feelings. You can choose yellow to promote children's products and items related to leisure. Yellow is very effective for attracting attention, so use it to highlight the most important elements of your design. Men usually perceive yellow as a very lighthearted, 'childish' color, so it is not recommended to use yellow when selling prestigious, expensive products to men – nobody will buy a yellow business suit or a yellow Mercedes. Yellow is an unstable and spontaneous color, so avoid using yellow if you want to suggest stability and safety. Light yellow tends to disappear into white, so it usually needs a dark color to highlight it. Shades of yellow are visually unappealing because they loose cheerfulness and become dingy.

Dull (dingy) yellow represents caution, decay, sickness, and jealousy.
Light yellow is associated with intellect, freshness, and joy.

Green is the color of nature. It symbolizes growth, harmony, freshness, and fertility. Green has strong emotional correspondence with safety. Dark green is also commonly associated with money.

Green has great healing power. It is the most restful color for the human eye; it can improve vision. Green suggests stability and endurance. Sometimes green denotes lack of experience; for example, a 'greenhorn' is a novice. In heraldry, green indicates growth and hope. Green, as opposed to red, means safety; it is the color of free passage in road traffic.

Use green to indicate safety when advertising drugs and medical products. Green is directly related to nature, so you can use it to promote 'green' products. Dull, darker green is commonly associated with money, the financial world, banking, and Wall Street.

Dark green is associated with ambition, greed, and jealousy.
Yellow-green can indicate sickness, cowardice, discord, and jealousy.
Aqua is associated with emotional healing and protection.
Olive green is the traditional color of peace.

Blue is the color of the sky and sea. It is often associated with depth and stability. It symbolizes trust, loyalty, wisdom, confidence, intelligence, faith, truth, and heaven.

Blue is considered beneficial to the mind and body. It slows human metabolism and produces a calming effect. Blue is strongly associated with tranquility and calmness. In heraldry, blue is used to symbolize piety and sincerity.

You can use blue to promote products and services related to cleanliness (water purification filters, cleaning liquids, vodka), air and sky (airlines, airports, air conditioners), water and sea (sea voyages, mineral water). As opposed to emotionally warm colors like red, orange, and yellow; blue is linked to consciousness and intellect. Use blue to suggest precision when promoting high-tech products.

Blue is a masculine color; according to studies, it is highly accepted among males. Dark blue is associated with depth, expertise, and stability; it is a preferred color for corporate America.

Avoid using blue when promoting food and cooking, because blue suppresses appetite. When used together with warm colors like yellow or red, blue can create high-impact, vibrant designs; for example, blue-yellow-red is a perfect color scheme for a superhero.

Light blue is associated with health, healing, tranquility, understanding, and softness.
Dark blue represents knowledge, power, integrity, and seriousness.

Purple combines the stability of blue and the energy of red. Purple is associated with royalty. It symbolizes power, nobility, luxury, and ambition. It conveys wealth and extravagance. Purple is associated with wisdom, dignity, independence, creativity, mystery, and magic.

According to surveys, almost 75 percent of pre-adolescent children prefer purple to all other colors. Purple is a very rare color in nature; some people consider it to be artificial.

Light purple is a good choice for a feminine design. You can use bright purple when promoting children's products.

Light purple evokes romantic and nostalgic feelings.
Dark purple evokes gloom and sad feelings. It can cause frustration.

http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-meaning.html

Phrea
March 15th, 2010, 11:50 PM
A screenshot would be nice.

I'd like to opt for a screenshot or two aswell.

QwUo173Hy
March 15th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I'm looking for help with the presentation / proposal (attached). If you're not interested you can just skip to the 5th slide.

Phrea
March 15th, 2010, 11:54 PM
ADD: I like the colour purple, but it shouldn't be overdone.
Please don't make this into a Mint [where everything you see is green, and it's not easy].

cariboo
March 16th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I wish everyone would wait until the beta comes out, before jumping to conclusions, traditionally the final art drop is in the Beta. They just tease us during the alphas

descendent87
March 16th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I'm not sure if this is meant to be a joke or serious? but one things for sure, the new theme in lucid is much better

fatality_uk
March 16th, 2010, 01:01 AM
I wish everyone would wait until the beta comes out, before jumping to conclusions, traditionally the final art drop is in the Beta. They just tease us during the alphas

Here here!!

Personally, I love the new look.

Whistling Nixie
March 16th, 2010, 01:37 AM
I am probably the only user in the world who never had a problem with orange. It had the advantage that it wasn't a color claimed by Microsoft or Apple; it was uniquely Ubuntu.
What standingwave said! You manage to stay distinguished from Windows and Apple, with a colour that's earthy and, er... more down-to-earth.

[Image removed, due to incorrect procedure on my part]

djsroknrol
March 16th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I think the new theme gives a shot in the arm to the desktop, so to speak and I like it as well...I can't wait for 10.04 final.

The OP has a good point; those colors are hardly used and very powerful. The reds, oranges and yellows could be the next colors to reckon with in themes.

Psumi
March 16th, 2010, 01:57 AM
What standingwave said! You manage to stay distinguished from Windows and Apple, with a colour that's earthy and, er... more down-to-earth.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2784/4405562043_1c0f40f845_m.jpg
[/URL][URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/46479845@N06/4405562043/sizes/o/"]Full size (http://www.flickr.com/photos/46479845@N06/4405562043/sizes/o/)

I'd rather NOT sign-in to yahoo to see full size.

DO NOT upload it here either, the ubuntuforums vBull was changed to size down images now, so use tinypic instead.

Kenny_Strawn
March 16th, 2010, 02:10 AM
When I did a "sudo apt-get upgrade" on my packages in Alpha 3, two additional themes installed: "Ambiance" and "Radiance", one being a derivative work of the other.

Supposedly, they were part of the "light-themes" package, and had the same motive as Ubuntu Sun: less fighting between light and dark themes.

standingwave
March 16th, 2010, 02:33 AM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2784/4405562043_1c0f40f845_m.jpg
Full size (http://www.flickr.com/photos/46479845@N06/4405562043/sizes/o/)

This photo is private.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo.

QwUo173Hy
March 16th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Thanks for your support guys.

Phrea
March 16th, 2010, 02:46 AM
I'd rather NOT sign-in to yahoo to see full size.

DO NOT upload it here either, the ubuntuforums vBull was changed to size down images now, so use tinypic instead.

I prefer imgur myself.

QwUo173Hy
March 16th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Ladies and gents, please respect the topic of my thread, which clearly asks for feedback on my proposal presentation.

Islington
March 16th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Thanks for your support guys.

Love the proposal but I think windows already tried that with hotdogstand.

QwUo173Hy
March 16th, 2010, 03:01 AM
It's hard to be original these days.

Kenny_Strawn
March 16th, 2010, 03:11 AM
As some of you might be aware, there is some consternation over the direction the current theme is taking, for reasons varying from citings of lack of originality to people having reactions to the color purple (known as Aubergene in South Africa).

I know the devs and designers have their hands full - but I've listened to all the debate and I think I can satisfy a lot of users with a new design.

The design itself is pretty solid, but in case I've missed something in the actual proposal, some genuine critique is appreciated.

Please review the attached proposal before commenting.

Thank you.

The new theme is already in place. Or really, two themes: "Ambiance" and "Radiance". ('http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8973784&postcount=14')

QwUo173Hy
March 16th, 2010, 03:14 AM
The new theme is already in place. Or really, two themes: "Ambiance" and "Radiance". ('http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8973784&postcount=14')

I have it on good advice that my proposal is being considered.

descendent87
March 16th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Really? No offense meant but I hope not, I really like the new theme and colours

Mr. Picklesworth
March 16th, 2010, 03:39 AM
I have it on good advice that my proposal is being considered.

Some people are going to be sooo mad when they finally look at your proposal :)

QwUo173Hy
March 16th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Mr. Picklesworth, I'm starting to think that if I started a post of random gibberish, a three page thread would somehow come out of it anyway :)

Thanks for reviewing my submission. I've taken on board comments people have PM'd me with and we can expect a decision by Thursday, I'm told.

swoll1980
March 16th, 2010, 03:59 AM
There's just no words to describe it.

samh785
March 16th, 2010, 04:02 AM
I am probably the only user in the world who never had a problem with orange.
No man, I always liked it a lot. I tweaked the light theme on my lucid install so that it was more like the human theme the instant I installed it.

slymi2005
March 16th, 2010, 07:15 AM
<----- Is confused, what was the point of this post? Is it a joke....?

NightwishFan
March 16th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I do not mind it matching the colors of OSX a little. As for the human theme it was always given good reception by everyone I met in person. It just looks friendly. The new theme looks impressive, I hope they keep the human-clearlooks to let us use the old look.

Warpnow
March 16th, 2010, 07:46 AM
No offense, but your proposal looks like something thrown together in about 30 seconds and I can only assume anyone who is agreeing with you hasn't actually opened the file.

The idea that Apple "owns" purple, or the Windows and Fedora "own" Blue...is absurd. Colors are colors, and nothing more.

I mean...come on...

I went to the trouble of attatching your proposal's screenshot and attatching it.

montini
March 16th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I am probably the only user in the world who never had a problem with orange. It had the advantage that it wasn't a color claimed by Microsoft or Apple; it was uniquely Ubuntu. Maybe the underlying textures weren't the best but I never had a problem with the color per se. Orange (and it's various shades) always had kind of a no nonsense, industrial feel. And best of all, it was Ubuntu's brand.

You're not alone - I completely agree with You.

3rdalbum
March 16th, 2010, 12:19 PM

As far as I'm aware, purple is purple and Aubergene is a pinky-purple. It's not just a South African colour.

I never had a problem with orange or brown. There are some beautiful brown themes and some beautiful orange themes.

I just saw the proposal. Apart from the fact that your Openoffice Impress skills need some work, I think the Ubuntu design team will appreciate your proposal in the way you intended.

aeiah
March 16th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Aubergene is a pinky-purple.

aubergine's throughout the world disagree

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/Aubergine.jpg

mechro
March 16th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Does this proposed theme require 3-D glasses?

Sceiron
March 16th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Make a new distro;
Red Light'buntu
:popcorn:

richs-lxh
March 16th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I think it's great that somebody goes to the trouble to create a theme to give something back to their chosen distro.

Well done jarlath

The colour scheme isn't my cup of tea, but seeing as I couldn't personally do any better, I can't criticize.

I am sure there will be many users who will like it though.

QwUo173Hy
March 26th, 2010, 09:59 PM
So, I wanted to post here and tell you about the good news of my theme being accepted into the default selection http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/3001

But then I decided - why not just put people out of their misery..

Quote from the last slide of the presentation:
This is just poking fun at some
current events. I hope you enjoyed
my 'proposal'. Bring on 10.04 ! :)

For those of you who don't speak english as a first language - it was just a joke for some fun.

Happy Upgrading!

cariboo
March 26th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Your link doesn't work.

alket
March 27th, 2010, 12:09 AM
This is the most ugliest theme that I ever saw.

forrestcupp
March 27th, 2010, 12:24 AM
It's amazing how many people don't get that this is a joke. They must not have looked at the last slide of the presentation.

Although I am digging the cyan and red. It makes me angry and that makes me more productive.

alket
March 27th, 2010, 12:38 AM
It's amazing how many people don't get that this is a joke. They must not have looked at the last slide of the presentation.

Although I am digging the cyan and red. It makes me angry and that makes me more productive.

I didn't go to the end. I'm glad that it was a joke but however this is still the ugliest.

DubyBreaks
March 27th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I want those 3 minutes of my life back.....

beetleman64
March 27th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I wouldn't particularly like red all over my desktop, and to be honest I don't see why the devs are even bothering to change the theme. I personally quite like the brown "Human" theme.

3rdalbum
March 27th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I just saw the proposal. Apart from the fact that your Openoffice Impress skills need some work, I think the Ubuntu design team will appreciate your proposal in the way you intended.

I subtly acknowledged that it was a joke :-)

Also, aubergines are not pinky-purple, but the colour "Aubergine" is. Just like how the drink Mocha is brown, but the furniture colour "mocha" is grey or grey-brown.

cascade9
March 27th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I subtly acknowledged that it was a joke :-)

Also, aubergines are not pinky-purple, but the colour "Aubergine" is. Just like how the drink Mocha is brown, but the furniture colour "mocha" is grey or grey-brown.

Actually, nope-

Eggplant is a dark purple (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple)[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggplant_%28color%29#cite_note-0) or brownish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown)-purple[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggplant_%28color%29#cite_note-adams-1) color (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color) that resembles the color of the outer skin of European eggplants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggplant).[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggplant_%28color%29#cite_note-2) Another name for the color eggplant is aubergine[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggplant_%28color%29#cite_note-adams-1) (the French (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language) and British English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_English) word for eggplant).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggplant_(color)

(color/colour) a dark brown colour, like that of mocha coffee.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mocha

http://xona.com/colorlist/

Aubergine is always some variant on purple/brown. Mocha varies a bit more, but should always be some sort of brown/ reddish brown.

I admit that there are some variants here and there, but IMO if your calling a colour after something that exists in real life (like aubergine or mocha) the colour should be the same as the real life object. I used to work as a colour matcher/screen printer and some of the colours I've seen misnamed are ridiculous.

Calling those grey colours 'mocha' is just marketing. As in 'look out, dont step in the marketing'. ;)

QwUo173Hy
March 27th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks to those of you who got the joke and didn't blow it :) You rock!

Doctor Mike
March 27th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Thanks to those of you who got the joke and didn't blow it :) You rock!Your joke hurt my eyes, but was funny. Now how about making a real theme...

QwUo173Hy
March 28th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I want those 3 minutes of my life back.....
You can apply for a time refund here http://www.alpha-themes.com/time-refund/index.html (http://www.lucid-pilot.com/time-refund/index.html)