PDA

View Full Version : XP loaded want to dual boot to 9.10 problems

joshob
March 15th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I can boot to my USB drive, and it gives me the Ubuntu menu. When I press enter to install Ubuntu nothing happens. Also, if I try to boot it on the drive it counts down to boot but just loops and never boots.

If I boot to XP and try Wubi I get the dreaded Cannot download meta error.

Not a fun first time Linux experience.

thegod_slayer
March 16th, 2010, 04:23 AM
i hope your usb is not a bootable usb...
if you have ubuntu installed in a rig anywhere near you then just insert a blank pendrive
and then goto system->>administration->>usb startup disk creator.
then browse and select the .iso file stored on that system and then select a certain size for
your pendrive.
then just click make startup disk

you can also take a blank cd and write the .iso image file onto that cd and then you can try installation. it will work.

joshob
March 16th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I've tried booting from Pen drive and to the CD ISO image. With the pen drive I used the pendrivelinux utility that I downloaded. I have also re-downloaded the image from a mirror site. When I boot to CD or Pendrive I get the Ubuntu menu that gives me the options to "Try Ubuntu without change", Install Ubuntu Netbook Remix, Check disc for defects, Test memory, etc.

If I try to select any of these nothing happens. I can hit enter all day long and nothing happens. the only thing that works is the function keys but that does nothing for me.