PDA

View Full Version : Meetup Ubuntu Ohio

lyceum
March 15th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I am thinking about using Meetup to start a monthly Ubuntu group in Columbus Ohio. The idea would be to meet once a month and talk about Ubuntu. I was thinking maybe we could have how-to sessions, best programs for and other presentations. This could be a good way to get the word out and help new users learn how to use Ubuntu and other Foss programs.

If this is something you would actually go to, let me know. It cost money to create the group. I have no problem paying the fee, but I would like to know it would be more than just me showing up :)

Rifester
March 15th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I live in Columbus and would be interested in attending (even though I am not a member of any group and have limited knowledge)!

jpeddicord
March 15th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Come to the Columbus Ubuntu hour (http://www.facebook.com/UbuntuColumbus)! :P

Every two Mondays, 6pm at the Panera on 11th & High (OSU South Campus Gateway). We'd love to see more people there. :)

http://groups.google.com/group/ohio-ubuntu-columbus-reloco

lyceum
March 17th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I went ahead and shelled out the cash to get the ball on the roll. I didn't realize there was already something going on in Columbus. Here is a link:

http://www.meetup.com/Ubuntu-Stop/

I am trying to set up something non-geeks will find helpful. I want this to be something we can bring our non-geek friends to. I see no point in preaching to the choir. The first meeting will be a meet-and-greet to get the ball rolling. For a discussion topic I thought we could go over installing Ubuntu Netbook Edition and the benefits of UNE over Windows (faster, more secure, etc) since I don't think anyone will be bringing their desktops :)

This is going to be a monthly thing, we can try it for 6 months. I am going to have a donation jar as I would like to have a door prize if possible.

The first meeting (April 14th BTW) will likely be at a coffee shop or the like, then I am going to try to schedule a room at the library after that.

csabo2
March 23rd, 2010, 03:44 PM
Hello,
Just found this LoCo. I'm in upper arlington and have been using linux since 99. This is somthing I would be interested in doing :)

-Chris

quickdraw
March 24th, 2010, 10:43 PM
I signed up on your meetup. I'm fairly new to Ubuntu (been using it for about a year now), and would like to get more involved with the local Ohio community. I live in Circleville, but work at the ANG base in Rickenbacker.

lyceum
March 26th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I signed up on your meetup. I'm fairly new to Ubuntu (been using it for about a year now), and would like to get more involved with the local Ohio community. I live in Circleville, but work at the ANG base in Rickenbacker.

great! hope to see you at our first meet up. :)

lyceum
March 26th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Hello,
Just found this LoCo. I'm in upper arlington and have been using linux since 99. This is somthing I would be interested in doing :)

-Chris

Be sure to sign up, we need to get an idea of where people are and how many might attend.

paultag
March 30th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Ya'll are welcome in the Ubuntu LoCo!

We love newcomers!

-Paul

lyceum
March 30th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Ya'll are welcome in the Ubuntu LoCo!

We love newcomers!

-Paul

I'm already a member, thanks.

greyfox1
March 31st, 2010, 05:50 PM
I just joined your meetup group (Rick) and I hope to see you at an Ubuntu Hour soon!

paultag
April 7th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Hey all.

From the LoCo mailing list ( you should all be on at least the Columbus list ;) )

Hi all,

Just a reminder that we will be meeting up tonight at the OSU south
campus Panera at 6 pm. for an hour of lively discussion. Can someone
forward this to the forum crowd?

Gilbert

lyceum
April 7th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Hey all.

From the LoCo mailing list ( you should all be on at least the Columbus list ;) )

Cool, I won't be able to make it, but I could start posting LoCo meeting on the Ubuntu Stop meetup group page. This one is too short notice though. I'm going to have to check and see what email address the LoCo group has for me. I have not gotten an email in a while. I thought the group was just defunct, but maybe I just don't check an old email address anymore.

paultag
April 7th, 2010, 06:10 PM
All members of the loco are ( by definition ) on the launchpad group.

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-us-ohio

Check your mailing list subscription to the team, it's not heavy on the daily mail, and mostly notices, etc.

Feel free to get in touch with the local Coordinator for Columbus ( spwelton ), or the one doing bi-weekly meet-ups ( gilbert ). The old LoCo team lead ( jacob ) is in Columbus as well, and knows his stuff

They are the official LoCo guys down there, right now -- they should be able to help coordinate