PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing new software

fox3x
March 15th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I'm new to Ubuntu . With windows when you install a app it creates a folder in the drive:c under programs : Where is the install folder on Ubuntu ? AND ' with windows ' there is an exe file ' what type of file is like the exe file''' to run ? or the path to run the app ?

benogigon
March 15th, 2010, 07:59 PM
i need gnome ppp

phillw
March 15th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums,

When installing programmes with Ubuntu, the easiest way, as of 9.10 is to use the Ubuntu Software Centre, you'll find it at the bottom of applications. That way, the programme you install will be put into its correct place and menus will be automatically updated (e.g. if you install a game it will appear in the Games area of the menu, etc.)

Commercial software tends to install in /opt others pop themselves where they should go, eg /usr/bin, usr/share etc.

You can also use Synaptic Package Mananger, but USC is an easier way to find software, either by name or by type.

Regards,

Phill.

phillw
March 15th, 2010, 08:10 PM
i need gnome ppp

Hi benogigon, and welcome to the forums, please start a new thread when you have a query :-)

In your case, if you go into Synaptic Package Manager (System --> Administration --> Synaptic Package Mananger) in the search area type in gnome-ppp it will return gnome-ppp in the list of found software. Click in the little box and mark it for installation, then click on Apply. From memory, you'll find it under Applications --> Internet once it has installed.

Regards,

Phill.