PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Nautilus alternative

kazakore
March 15th, 2010, 10:17 AM
OK pretty new to Ubuntu and although Nautilus is fairly straightforward there are a few things I don't quite like so I was wondering if there are any good alternatives I could try.

What I don't like.

Not able to right-click to drag&drop and select different modes (Copy, Move, Create Launcher/Shortcut etc.)
Not able to drag to make multiple selections when in List view.
When it Tree mode, if you right click on a folder in the tree when the currently focused folder is out of site the pane jumps to bring that item back into view, meaning you may no longer be able to see the folder you right clicked on.

Sure I had a fourth point. Think it might of been to do with context menus, which is likely more my lack of knowledge of Gnome than anything to do with Nautilus though so not sure that was it...

NightwishFan
March 15th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I really like Thunar, you could also try Pcmanfm as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunar
Click To Install Thunar (apt://thunar)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCManFM
Click To Install Pcmanfm (apt://pcmanfm)

kazakore
March 15th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Cheers, I'll give them a go.

Do I need to make sure only on File Browser is installed at a time? IE remove Nautilus and Install alternative together?

See both are in the repository for easy installing :)

mcduck
March 15th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Cheers, I'll give them a go.

Do I need to make sure only on File Browser is installed at a time? IE remove Nautilus and Install alternative together?

See both are in the repository for easy installing :)

What comes to your first point, try dragging with middle mouse button... ;)

Anyway, you can have as many file managers installed at the same time as you want. Actually I'd advice against uninstalling Nautilus because it's pretty tightly integrated into Gnome and removing it will not only result in loosing lots og Gnome functionality but probably results in breaking Gnome pretty badly (for example gnome-session depends on Nautilus).

kazakore
March 15th, 2010, 11:12 AM
OK I don't think it looks quite as neat and don't like having change view hidden away (although it's a good excuse to get used to the shortcuts) but Thunar seems to cover all my above points. Is there any way to make it the default, rather than Nautilus? See if I get used to it or not after a bit of use...

EDIT: McDuck, your post came wile I was on this page.

On a laptop so have no middle mouse button. Noticed Nautilus wasn't in the list so just left it as is.

mechro
March 15th, 2010, 12:29 PM
What comes to your first point, try dragging with middle mouse button... ;)

Strewth! :shock: One learns something new every day! :D

mechro
March 15th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Nautilus alternative...

Rox-filer. Fast with lots of mouse right-click options. It's the default file manager on Puppy Linux.

nilarimogard
March 15th, 2010, 04:06 PM
You can also try pcmanfm.

mcduck
March 15th, 2010, 04:30 PM
OK I don't think it looks quite as neat and don't like having change view hidden away (although it's a good excuse to get used to the shortcuts) but Thunar seems to cover all my above points. Is there any way to make it the default, rather than Nautilus? See if I get used to it or not after a bit of use...

EDIT: McDuck, your post came wile I was on this page.

On a laptop so have no middle mouse button. Noticed Nautilus wasn't in the list so just left it as is.

If you press both left & right mouse buttons at the same time it's same as middle mouse button. Or press Alt key after you have started dragging with left mouse button (you can't press it before dragging as that would move the window instead of dragging the file/directory..)

ubunterooster
March 15th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Konqueror?

bananafeller
December 16th, 2010, 07:22 AM
nautilus-elementary is really nice i know its not an alternative but you could give it a try.

ve4cib
December 16th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Whenever I'm using Fluxbox I always waffle between using PCManFM and Thunar. PCManFM is smaller and generally faster, but Thunar has more features/plugins and supports a trash folder (PCManFM deletes the file completely, bypassing the trash). But Thunar doesn't have tabs (yet).

If you're willing to move away from GTK you might consider Dolphin. I haven't used it much, so I don't know if it will meet your requirements, but it might be worth considering. Or there's Konqueror, as someone else suggested.

There are also all sorts of file managers floating around for Linux. EmelFM, ROX-Filer, MidnightCommander, XFE, Krusader, etc... Some are obviously much more obscure/ill-maintained than others, but there's got to be at least one that'll do what you need it to do.

Wikipedia has a list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_managers) of various file managers. Might be able to narrow the field a bit if you take a look there.

roggenschrotbrot
December 16th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Whenever I'm using Fluxbox I always waffle between using PCManFM and Thunar. PCManFM is smaller and generally faster, but Thunar has more features/plugins and supports a trash folder (PCManFM deletes the file completely, bypassing the trash). But Thunar doesn't have tabs (yet).

pcmanfm does delete to trash now, i don't know when this feature was added though.

ve4cib
December 16th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Huh, well you learn something new every day. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

dandoz
December 16th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I moved to Ubuntu this month after realizing that my options to remain in the Mac world are limited. With Gnome_Do and Dolphin, I feel like I'm able to keep the power features I liked most about the Mac OS while having something that actually can run on any hardware.

So I heartily recommend Dolphin if you have any like for the way that MacOS using column view to dig through folders.

This is my first post on the forum. Hello, everyone!

3Miro
December 17th, 2010, 02:41 AM
I was going to say Dolphin myself. I prefer Thunar, but from what i read the original poster would like Dolphin.

mister_p_1998
December 20th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Dolphin?