PDA

View Full Version : "Softwares" and "Stuffs"

earthpigg
March 15th, 2010, 05:58 AM
is there a clever joke/meme that i am missing with these two words, or is it simply that English's inconsistency is tough for people that didn't grow up with the language?

themarker0
March 15th, 2010, 06:04 AM
The latter.

Paqman
March 15th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I don't think "softwares" is an actual word. Stuffs is fine though (eg: "He stuffs it into a bag").

derekeverett
March 15th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I don't think "softwares" is an actual word. Stuffs is fine though (eg: "He stuffs it into a bag").

Stuffs for sure is ok, softwares used to bug me too... but I've seen it lately in some pretty proper articles.. has me wondering now.

user1397
March 15th, 2010, 06:49 AM
I think its absolutely ridiculous to say softwares, as well as stuffs when you don't mean it in the 'he stuffs it down his mouth' and you mean it in the plural sense like more than one 'stuff'

software is both singular and plural, as is stuff

earthpigg
March 15th, 2010, 06:49 AM

well, i was referring to "I need help with some stuffs regarding a few issues with softwares."

the more i think about it, the more i think themarker0 is right. English can be a bit ridiculous at times.

I blame the french (1066 AD).

trideceth12
March 15th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I believe "wares" is an acceptable English pluralization of "ware" as in "The merchant sells his wares;" I would imagine by extension soft-wares and hard-wares would be acceptable though not really common usage.

IMO the great thing about English is it's intelligability despite heavy contortion by local dialect / useage by speakers of ESL.

derekeverett
March 15th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I believe "wares" is an acceptable English pluralization of "ware" as in "The merchant sells his wares;" I would imagine by extension soft-wares and hard-wares would be acceptable though not really common usage.

Good point. I'm sold. Softwares won't bother me anymore!

mechro
March 15th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Softwares is a typo... it should be Softwarts: Harry Potter's failed attempt at taking on Bill Gates.

Stuffs is a term of abuse directed at older members of the internet community. Back in 2004, while flaming on a Message Board, Major Blenkinsop-Cholmondeley (Retd.) was noted to exclaim, "Stuff and nonsense! Old chap." The reply from oblonxy109er has gone down in history as a classic: "teh stuffs".

earthpigg
March 16th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Stuffs is a term of abuse directed at older members of the internet community. Back in 2004, while flaming on a Message Board, Major Blenkinsop-Cholmondeley (Retd.) was noted to exclaim, "Stuff and nonsense! Old chap." The reply from oblonxy109er has gone down in history as a classic: "teh stuffs".

source? not because i doubt you, but because i like seeing first hand info and want the details :P

GregBrannon
March 16th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Google it on the internets.

Crowchild
March 16th, 2010, 12:59 AM
STUFFS:
There are a few very specialized ways to use the plural form (stuffs). Most of the time you won't need these specialized uses. That is why dictionaries (especially abridged dictionaries) often state that stuff only uncountable. One fairly common use of the plural form of this noun (stuffs) is the compound word foodstuffs.

SOFTWARES:
AS mentioned above:

mechro
March 16th, 2010, 10:13 AM
source? not because i doubt you, but because i like seeing first hand info and want the details :P

Well, if you do a Google search of Blenkinsop-Cholmondeley the first result should point you in the right direction... or not... ;)

I'm talking nonsense, being silly, just joking. I hope you don't mind. :D

cascade9
March 16th, 2010, 11:14 AM

IMO the great thing about English is it's intelligability despite heavy contortion by local dialect / useage by speakers of ESL.

I dont think that 'softwares' (or 'stuffs' apart from the mentioned example) would be acceptable.

Ware might be part of the words 'hardware' and 'software' but that doesnt mean that you can pluralise them the same way you can with 'wares'. Actually, 'wares' can be very confusing- 'wares' is always used in the plural form, unless you are using it in a specific sense (like glassware, silverware) than it is always the singular form. 'Ware' doesnt mean 'goods' at all, its got various meanings (all archaic and pretty much unused in modern engilsh) but mostly it means 'wary' - which has the same root word, 'waer' (ae, sorry no key for that letter) from old english.

Its not like this is the only example of non-count nouns in english. (like snow, pepper, milk or money). There are also things like 'pants' which could appear to be plural, but its also the singular form.

I think its absolutely ridiculous to say softwares, as well as stuffs when you don't mean it in the 'he stuffs it down his mouth' and you mean it in the plural sense like more than one 'stuff'

software is both singular and plural, as is stuff

Exactly. Same with 'hardware', its both plural and singular.

'Sotfwares' is not quite as annoying as 'viri', plural virus. Its viruses! Then again, thats latin LOL.

mkendall
March 16th, 2010, 08:39 PM
One minor quibble - pants is plural as each leg is a pant. Hence the phrase "a pair of pants."

from www.thefreedictionary.com/pant

pant - (usually in the plural) a garment extending from the waist to the knee or ankle, covering each leg separately

Read the etymology on the site. Interesting.